Should I wait until Volta - 2080 or wait until Volta 2080Ti

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by nateluthje, Jan 11, 2018.

1. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    You're asking a question that nobody can answer.

2. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    That you have personaly played on your 1080Ti at 4k native resolution on a 4k screen, or are you quoting other peoples quotes?

It gets a tad tedious sometimes when people who have neither the title or hardware campaign a point just on hearsay.

3. nateluthje

nateluthje Guest

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    Thanks for the advice Tj, you have swayed my mind about whether or not to get the 2080 or 2080Ti. I jumped straight into 1080 SLI because I wanted to place games at 4K - I had a LOT of problems getting them to run (I.E. took a long while to get SLI sorted our). I would and will wait until the 2080Ti''s are out, because I can play games at 4K - and due to my g-sync monitor - drops down to 45fps are not noticeable. It remains a mystery as to how the 2080Ti's perform, but going by the new Titan - the 2080Ti's should be able to game (theoretically) at 60FPS Ultra at 4K.

So thanks mate, I'm now prepared to wait and read the reviews and wait until late 2019-2020 for my next upgrade.

Thanks you have saved me spending money on a card - or multiple cards when all I have to do is wait. I mean, I can still play games at around 50-55 fps with my 2 x 1080's. I know the quality of games is going to increase dramatically, but I don't mind lowering some settings while i'm waiting.

-Tj- likes this.
  4. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I am in the exact same boat as you (both hardware wise, and issue wise), and im just going to tell you what i plan on doing.

I'm going to get the 2080 as soon as it releases, and then buy the 2080 TI when it releases, sometime in the distant future (will likely be 1.5 years, or more). Just sell the old gpu(s), and the upgrades won't cost too much.

Why not wait for 2080 TI ? Cause all the main titles i've wanted to play in 2017, hasn't had sli support... without a doubt the worst year so far for sli, and it doesn't seem like it's going to get better in the future. You are correct that running g-sync mitigates some of the woes in regards to running sub 60 fps, but i find that for some games, it's simply not enough. Assassins creed origins is one such title, where fps will sometimes be in the 30's, unless i lower the settings, and with so low fps, it becomes noticable even with g-sync... and if you go and lower the settings to compensate, then whats the point in 4k? So i can't personally wait for the 2080 ti to arrive sometime in the distant future.

Then why not just get a 1080 TI ? Several reasons. First and foremost, it still can't keep 60 fps in all titles, with settings maxed out at 4k - the older titles where sli does work correctly (some of which i still play quite a lot - gta 5, witcher 3 for instance), 1080 ti has alot less power than 1080 sli, so i wouldn't be able to crank settings up as high in those. Second, nvidia doesn't provide any performance improvements for old architectures, ones new ones has arrived, and with volta just on the doorstep, it would be a very bad buy... never buy so late in the cycle, as they say.

fantaskarsef and Solfaur like this.

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Correct.
    I don't know why all of you people insist on saying 1080ti is perfect for all titles at max details.

fantaskarsef, BangTail and Dragam1337 like this.
  6. KingDazza

KingDazza Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    I use a 1080Ti for 4k gaming and most titles have to have something turned down to try and achieve 60fps at all times. And in some cases its a lot of settings needing turned down. For me its not the average that matters but the minimum. So I cant wait for next gen. I wouldn't be surprised if we are several generations a way from the level of performance really needed for 4k 60fps. 1080Ti does it, but with compromises.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  7. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Well, to be honest 1080Tis sweet spot is with 1440p 144Hz g-sync/freesync monitors.

4K right now comes with all the downsides of early adoption. I know, I've been trough this myself with 1440p. I made the switch to this resolution like 8 years, I had to get the latest flagship GPU (or GPUs) every generation to keep up with 60 FPS v-synced. At least with 4K you can get g-sync/freesync monitors already and that helps a lot. :oops:

fantaskarsef likes this.
  8. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    How do we know it's 2080 and not 1180? If I was Nvidia, owning 3dfx's copyrights I'd drop the geforce name and start naming them Voodoo...I think it's a type of name that markets better than a weirdo name like geforce just because geometry force as a meaning is as silly as Wii's imo.

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I dont know I think geforce has nice ring to too it, I wait I thinking about g-force from toho godzilla franchise.

I do think it kinda waste Nvida bought out 3dfx and voodoo name but never used it

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  10. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    I think they wanted some of their tech IP's, namely SLI, which to my knowledge isn't the same SLI that 3DFX used. Probably had to buy all of it just to get the specific copyrights they wanted. And I'm certain to recall they took some of their employees too.

But Voodoo Graphics ...that's a name that just says "take my money!" But obviously NV has built Geforce name as a brand...bettter than TNT I guess.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Before Nvidia buought them out I only bought 3dfx.

Voodoo Banshee!

Maddness and BangTail like this.
  12. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Still remember getting the very first incarnation of the 3Dfx card (Voodoo), had to get it special ordered because nobody had ever heard of it.

It made Quake a brand new game (GLQuake), probably the most dramatic difference I have ever seen where gaming is concerned.

Those were such awesome times /nostalgia off ;)

Maddness likes this.