Samsung 860 PRO 2TB SSD review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Samsung releases its 860 PRO series as well, a 6 Gb/s SSD range available from 250GB up-to a whopping 4 Terabyte this new revision is fabbed with 64-cell layer V-NAND and their new MJX controller and ...

Samsung 860 PRO 2TB SSD review

2. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Deja vu on reading in the specifications page. A few things reiterated and not sure if that was meant to be.

3. seems like it would have been a good candidate for sata-express.........but beginning to doubt it will ever come around, given the prevalence of u.2 and m.2.

4. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    Optane is the only interesting u.2 option at the moment, m.2 seems to have won the post SATA III interface competition. Its funny that you mention SATA-express because I don't think I have even thought about it for more than a year.

As m.2 drives keep getting larger it is hard to imagine that u.2 will survive much longer on consumer class boards joining SATA-express in the interface graveyard.

5. eddieobscurant

eddieobscurant Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950 2gb
    Hilbert, are you using the latest meltdown/spectre patches? 4k read seem a bit low, that's why i'm asking

6. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    50,5MB/s 4k rr @qd=1 is not slow in CDM for an sata ssd. It's the fastes there is. Only samsung M.2 nvme is beating it, and Optane :p

7. eddieobscurant

eddieobscurant Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950 2gb
    Maybe my memory playing tricks on me but i remembered values around 55-60mb/s and for the samsung nvme drives around 60-65mb/s.

On the other hand maybe i'm wrong and those numbers were on empty drives without os and all power saving features disabled.

So, Hilbert , was the system patched for meltdown/spectre ?

8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    No, I have been thinking long and hard about how to deal with that.

For now, the test system has not been patched, and I'll likely not do so either. It would invalidate all other (hundred or so) SSD results. Also, Intel isn't done patching ergo the results as far as I am concerned the patch results are still not final and could change. By the time everything is final, likely the results would be invalidated once again. Next, to that, I would hope that next-gen future Intel procs do not have the vulnerabilities. And once they release these - we'd need to retest all SSDs again with the results being returning to the current scores as they are right now.

Hope that made any sense. In short, for now, I am sticking to unpatched results.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  9. eddieobscurant

eddieobscurant Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950 2gb
    Ok, thanks. I guess i was wrong about the results.

On future reviews just mention it in the hardware and software used page.

10. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    Since it is very likely that both Intel and MS will be refining these fixes you are making the right decision. The performance impact today (if any) likely wont be the final impact.