Geforce driver 390.65 WHQL Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by skizzo, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    The Spectre vulnerability apparently affected Nvidia's Tesla GPUs as well, they released a new Legacy driver for Linux with fixes last week. No new driver for Windows though.

It's scary to see even the old GPUs needing Spectre fixes, I wonder if AMD's older cards also are affected.

2. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Spectre doesn't affect any GPUs but it can be used on CPU to gain system level access through GPU driver.

3. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    I don't know what happened but about three days ago Battlefield 1 started stuttering so hardcore I could barely play it where getting a kill was so hard because of the hitching/stuttering. I scoured the internet trying to find fixed and absolutely nothing helped until I saw that if my card hit the fps limit (120) that I had set it would stutter as it came down to 119 or below from that. I ended up just putting it on my monitor refresh rate (144) instead of a 120 fps limiter and kicked up the gfx to all ultra so that now it doesn't hit that ceiling. I don't know why it happened now as I am still running the same drivers but if anyone is having terrible stuttering in BF1 there is a potential fix. I also know that CaptaPraelium said that it is the only game he uses the prefer maximum performance to avoid the voltage drops that create the stuttering and I might just go ahead and put things back to how they were and try that setting for just BF1. Whatever is gong on this driver has a problem with voltage for sure as it needs more juice for the same OC as the last drivers and it can't handle hitting a frame rate limiter and coming down from it without stuttering or hitching in some games. nVidia needs to revert to whatever they had going with the 388 drivers because these 390s suck really hard so far. Heck, I might just go back to the last 388 and skip the 390 branch altogether.

Do you mean 388.71?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    No vulkan 388.84 driver, I was at 388.71 before and when I tested these 388.84 its the best so far.. Think other that was ok too was 388.43 - raw perf. and smoothness on top.

AQUILES and AsiJu like this.

5. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    So it is a beta or a hotfix not a WHQL then? I had no clue this driver ever existed. I just looked it up and I will try it out. Why don't these come up under beta or nVidia certified drivers when you search for them on nvidia.com?

Thanks for the info.

-Tj- likes this.
  6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    AQUILES likes this.
  7. boombastik

boombastik Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3060 msi 8gb
    bf1 perfomance is very bad with this driver. Every time i alt tab the difference it day and night. every time i alta tab perfomance will be worst or better without reason.

8. ManuelG

ManuelG NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080 FE
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  9. boombastik

boombastik Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3060 msi 8gb
    • The Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility is not a driver and does not include drivers.
    • The Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility gives the product name for the piece of hardware. This information allows the operating system to display the correct name for that piece of hardware in Device Manager.
    The forum member that i was answering have a intel cpu. So if u insist that intel chipset have drivers u have no idea.
    -https://www.win-raid.com/t895f42-Intel-Chipset-Device-quot-Drivers-quot-INF-files.html
    more above.

10. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    When new drivers???

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I would of thought this is common knowledge at this point to regulars around here

12. CaptaPraelium

CaptaPraelium Guest

GPU:
    Fairly sure that was BF1, possibly BF4. I tend to use the BF games to test things since they tend to push harder than synthetic benchmarks :)
    I have a case open with tech support and there's a lot of info including system config profiles there. Is there some way I can link you to that case? It's the same username as here, if that helps.
    I'll fill out that form anyway.
    It's good to have you around here, thank you. Excellent customer support.

13. CaptaPraelium

CaptaPraelium Guest

GPU:
    The thing to consider here is to think like a badguy. I can assure you that right now, a bunch of black-hat hackers are out there, writing code to exploit those who don't patch these holes.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    If your refering to the current meltdown/spec flaws, they yes everyone need to patch and update, cause idiots and social media wildfires made sure every hacker and want to be hacker now knows about that , and they WILL be looking for ways to exploit and for people stupid enough to not patch it.

Sadly unless all the cpu maker force OS makers to PUSH the updates and update microcode, majority of people will never be protected. with the curret way of thinking MS and CPU makers thinking they expect everyone to know what is what and how to do such updates. Majority of people have no clue when it comes to this stuff.

15. ManuelG

ManuelG NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080 FE
    Thanks. I'll look for the feedback now. If you left your email address in the feedback form I'll look for your incident also for additional details.

jimpsar likes this.

16. CaptaPraelium

CaptaPraelium Guest

GPU:
    Sorry Manuel I was on the way to the dentist when I wrote that, had to go AFK for a while. I've completed the form now, including email address.

17. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    388.43 is definitely the best performing most current driver I've tested. I wouldn't mind trying 388.84. Would you say it is any better?

18. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    tensai28 likes this.
  19. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I just gave them a go and everything seems good so far.

endbase likes this.
  20. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    Yep for now deffently a keeper :) the latest game ready driver gave me micro stutter so that made me to give the 388.84 a go !

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018