Nvidia asks video card retailers to give gamers priority over miners

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    [​IMG]

321Boom likes this.
  3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    It could be nvidia is honest about this, but in a cynical way. Maybe they're afraid that the stockpiling of GPUs by miners might result in the used hardware market hurting their future sales, once the miners go and offload a crapload of GPUs for very low prices.

Probably not, but the thought just crossed my mind.

airbud7 likes this.
  4. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    The situation is dramatic really. The biggest store here has 0 (ZERO) 1070s available, 1 (ONE) crappy Gigabyte 1080 which costs more than a 1080Ti did at launch, 3 crappy Palit 1080Tis which cost over 1000 euros (and will probably be gone in the next hour)... even 1060 prices are insane, but at least there is some availability there.

The worst part is, I don't see this getting better anytime soon. It really, REALLY sucks to be in need of a gaming GPU now. :oops:

Kaarme likes this.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Good idea to limit sales to miners, then again it's neither forceable onto them, nor would it solve the problems. Seperate mining cards from gaming card lines, that might help, but requires more R&D and the OK from AMD/Nvidia to do so.

Like it read's from Nvidia, it is a cynical PR stunt. Shameful.

6. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Why buy almost 1 year old hardware :p

Allways buy graphicscards day 1 :)

7. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    They might as well be cheaper on day 1 than later on when stocks are low and availability makes the prices hike... I haven't regretted getting my 1080Ti for just under 800$ 5 weeks after launch.

8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    They would need to be considerably cheaper, but realistically speaking they can't be if the only hardware difference, more or less, is the lack of multiple display connectors (the value of the connectors is a couple of euros max for the manufacturer, unless they have some weird licensing fees). Of course dedicated mining cards might also possess more loud cooling. They are money makers, so what does it matter what they sound like? Otherwise miners would want to keep buying real video cards because they can try to sell those to gamers if/when the cryptocurrency market crashes. Few gamers would want dedicated mining cards, I reckon.

9. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I guess it would require a lot of R&D to produce cards that are incredible miners but crappy graphics cards, if something like this would ever be produced by AMD/Nvidia. Other than that you are right, there's virtually no difference, and the few connetors aren't making lots of a difference in board costs. Other than the chip itself the boards are usually not the cost driving factor I guess.

10. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    There are mining cards out there. They simply don't have any outputs. Miners don't seem to buy them though. I guess they want to sell them later on to gamers.

So the trick here isn't producing a card that's good for mining but crap for gaming. It's producing a card that's good for gaming but crap for mining. Which just doesn't sound possible.

11. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Segment your Client base. Miners are B2B clients, Gamers are B2C clients.
    Release Miner cards / Gamer cards.
    Limit B2C cards mining performance on Firmware/Hardware level for New and Future generations of cards.
    B2B versions will have no limitations.
    Current generation of cards will still have issues, no way around that, however future should normalize the situation.

12. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    hehe selling abused and enslaved GPUs that never rendered more than the windows desktop, such a crime! :D
    Well, just buy Nvidia, they used to be bad at mining, good for dx11 gaming. Let's see how this turns out for mining in the future.

13. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Nvidia cant keep up with the demand ? i can only lol at this. :D

fantaskarsef likes this.
  14. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Has to be better than AMD's situation at least although I heard NVIDIA's own web store periodically runs out of 1080Ti GPU's too now, price is probably climbing up a bit too but also likely nowhere near how bad it seems to be for AMD. :D
    Vega 56's MSRP is like what 400$ whereas store prices here are now reaching 8000 - 9000 SEK or 1000 - 1100 USD or higher in a few cases if there's only one or two stores that have stock currently.
    So comparably the 1080 seem to be around 6000 SEK and the 1080Ti is around 8000 SEK but then it's also clearly faster so for gaming it's a no-brainer so no wonder NV's GPU's are also selling nicely ha ha.
    (Compared against the Vega 56 it's around 30% or so faster as I remember, incredibly expensive for a GPU but also really fast and there's no real competition for this model since it also outperforms the Vega 64 by a fair margin.)

EDIT: No idea what Nvidia are selling these GPU's for to the various retailer chains but them having a much bigger stock must be giving them quite a advantage. AMD's 400, 500 and Vega GPU's are either out of stock entirely or in limited quantity and the price difference between MSRP and what they're actually going for makes NVIDIA's cards even more attractive for gaming purposes.
    (And while it might not look like the 1000 series Pascal GPU's are flying off the shelves whereas AMD's shipments are a dozen or so GPU's per delivery for Vega for Nvidia and Pascal it's usually in the 100's so availability is less of a concern.)

(Situation is a bit better for Polaris though, it's slowly making a comeback and can be found in stock now in several stores though also at a price premium but nowhere near as bad as Vega.)

EDIT: Looks like MSI and Asus is getting some more stock out after a quick look, it's not expected until mid-February though plus if the prices don't normalize it's still not much of a threat to NVIDIA and the 1060, 1070, 1070Ti, 1080 and 1080Ti GPU's which cover a broad range of different performance and price levels. :)
    (580 competes a bit with the 1060 and the higher-clocked models might be able to get close to the 1070 so AMD might be able to compete a bit more here if prices don't shoot up too badly again for these GPU's though I don't see that happening.)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  15. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I know that, I always do it. Got my 1080Ti at release literally with the first shipment of the MSI Gaming line in my country. WAAAAAY cheaper than it is now, IF it would be in stock.

I'm really curious if these shortages and huge demand will influence the release of Volta. I mean, nvidia/amd usually have problems with leftover stock when coming out with a new generation, now let's see if they keep making 1070s/1080s/1080Tis etc. to keep up with mining demand or keep the supply low and launch Volta.

16. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I guess they'll just do as usual, sell their stock away, no extra productions. We already know that TSMC has their capacity sold the minute they put it out, and lots of it is to ASIC miners or so I've read. So I can't imagine Nvidia paying for the limited production time to keep making Pascal cards when Volta's launching... they could sell more Volta cards if they would not do it, and usually they're just a bit more expansive than what they could ask for a 1080Ti for instance. Also, usually Nvidia's shipments are abundant for their releases, or at least in general.

But I'm seriously worried about AMD, they just sell their cards like nothing... expect miners to go crazy about anything they put out this year, and as soon as AMD does release something, everybody that wants an AMD GPU for gaming should order themselves twice as many as they need, just to be sure to get one card. And we have already known about limited quantities of AMD shipments at release prior to last year's situation, where even though mining was not that much of a thing across the popular culture, you still could end up not getting an AMD GPU in the first weeks of launch. This problem will only become more severe in the future, if AMD does plan releases like they did in the past...

17. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    The only way they every put an end to this is flood the market with video card and keep that way

DeskStar likes this.
  18. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    This bubble is going to burst faster than some think. Within a couple years, I think this will go back to pretty normal as the mining craze dies off. I am glad I got our x2 1070s back when they were released. I'd be pretty aggravated if I were in the market to buy a GPU right now.

Of course, I could be dead wrong and mining goes batsh!t and effectively kills the custom gaming PC market. Either way, miners will always have a special place in he|| for me for a myriad of reasons. Thi$ is only one of them.

TheDeeGee and DeskStar like this.
  19. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    All this to say that Nvidia is going to do nothing about miners...

Also in Portugal the mining craze seems to almost non existent because the prices are basically the same as before. But i don´t know about the overall availability of the cards.

20. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Priority is out the window when these cards of yesterday cost $3-400 more than they did at their original launch price.

Such a sad scalping industry we live in today... Hope this changes for Vegas' release as I am still holding o to these original TITANs that are still screaming performances in 4k!!