Best M.2 NVME cooling solution?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Deleted member 271771, Dec 18, 2017.

1. I have a good idea of how I am going to do mine, but I am curious as to what the community at large is using for m.2 nvme cooling, and what kind of results you are seeing in the real world. Are just heatsinks enough, or are y'all going for active cooling solutions? Any input anyone has is quite welcome.

2. joey79

joey79 Guest

GPU:
    GTX780
    I use an Alpha Cool passive cooler for my 950 PRO. It reduced the average temperature by 4°C.
    Keep in mind that the result is strongly affected by the airflow in the PC tower. I have free space around the M.2 socket so the airflow is pretty good.

3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Get a couple of these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MY2NQ8S/ref=psdc_2998409011_t2_B074Y5DZ4N

and buy some good thermal pads(not thermal tape) like this https://www.amazon.com/Alphacool-Ic...mal+pad+alphacool&refinements=p_85:2470955011

You will see significant improvements.

Many people do not see much improvements because the included thermal transfer material is garbage.
    Thermal tape is not good.

I used this setup on mine; you will need a couple of tiny rubber bands or something like that to hold it together.

4. Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2017

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
  6. beta-sama

beta-sama Member Guru

GPU:
    AORUS GTX1080Ti WF
  7. Nice. Anybody using liquid cooling on them? I am an airhead, but i respect folks that have the time and patience to do liquid.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
  8. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    Its waste of time and money to try WC SSD and thats comming from someone thats using WC past 10 years.

That's unless you want to cram 10 or 20 of them in small form factor.

9. i couldn't agree more, but seems ek and several others do have blocks for them.....it does seem a bit overkill for all but the most extreme setup. More extreme than i can afford.

10. or want to deal with...

11. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    No point. Decent heatsinks with fujipoly pads will keep temps less then 50c max.

Mine only hits about 42c under a bench

12. Jamin280672

Jamin280672 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX480 8gb Boost
    I really don't think theres any need to cool them at all, heres a picture of Crystal Disk Info, my C: nvme drive with Windows and programs on it is at 30oC, the second nvme drive D:, has games on it, so not doing anything at the moment, that's at 26oC, my external hard drive is the hottest and not doing anything at the moment at 45oC, they don't throttle until 95oC, so really don't see any reason to cool it any further, my system is water cooled, with slow quiet fans on the radiators, so don't have massive amounts of air movement in the case.

EDIT: just benched mine with Samsung Magican software and didn't go above 45oC, heatsink are a waste of money for these things in my opinion.

[​IMG]

13. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    So the rest of us who experienced thermal throttle are just a bunch of misfits whom payed up front something un-necessary ??

Octopuss likes this.
  14. Jamin280672

Jamin280672 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX480 8gb Boost
    What !!! I didn't say that, I just gave my 2c worth, maybe I should of said for those who are a little touchy, heatsinks on these things IN MY SYSTEM are a waste of money.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  15. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Dont be daft. Mine is hitting 53c while gaming and even sits about my Fury and not directly underneath it. And idles around 41c. My ambient temp is 73f in my room. So crap runs warmer. Some people, extra cooling is needed.

16. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Easy, fellow guru.I won't argue about it, nevertheless, each one is entitled to their opinion.But we would like a more refined opinion, or a more specific , to the case opinion.Goes a long way.
    And welcome to the forums, enjoy your stay.

17. I did however get some of the alphacool thermal pads you recommended to replace what my highpoint card came with. 38c is the hottest either of my ssds have been, even while stress-testing. very nice