Download inSpectre

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    This freeware download offers you the Free inSpectre, this tool tool checks Windows computers for Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities. Besides checking whether the system is vulnerable to the Spectr...

Download inSpectre

2. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    If the Disable buttons really work this tool can be handy for benchmarks. It can be easy to take all protections off and test benchmark scores pre and post protections.

3. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming
    Are we sure this can be trusted? Sophos blocked the download, i had a virus alert

jaggerwild likes this.
  4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well by what the program does itself it has got to be a positive, even if it's not malicious. But yes, the question remains to be answered...

On the other hand, Asus did not release an updated BIOS for my mainboard yet (R5E USB3.1), so not sure I'll ever get to test anything :rolleyes:

5. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Well, at least antivirus software been able to detect a spectre executing pattern. Not bad.
    There no such thing as "trusted". If you want to be sure, download source code, review and compile it on your machine.

There been lots of spectre checking software floating around, could be safe, could be not!
    I don't really care if I am affected by spectre exploit or not. There god know how much else exploits floating around, yet to be discovered.
    Just enjoying watching everybody losing their sh*t over it.

airbud7 likes this.
  6. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Totally 100% trusted, this is from Gibson security research (Steve Gibson).

7. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    If you just want to test if your system is protected, Microsoft has an official tool using Powershell - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ive-execution-side-channel-vulnerabilities-in (see "Verifying that protections are enabled")

Note that it'll only show fully green if you already have an updated BIOS.

8. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Thanks for the link, but I'm fairly aware I'm still vulvernable because Asus does not provide any updates for the Rampage 5 Extreme besides their stupid RGB everything version.
    I'm actually rather pissed about it, that board cost a ton of money and they can't even give you a BIOS, yet they offer it for other boards with X99.
    My board was their FLAGSHIP X99 board. And you don't get any BIOS updates... that's just a bad joke. If I could I'd take my revenge on them... :mad:

9. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming
    Ok i went to the source page and now i know who is. The one that made dnsbenchmark, so yes, guess it can be trusted

10. vMax1965

vMax1965 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Gaming
    Thanks Hilbert, just downloaded and thankfully I am all clear. Gigabyte just released a bios microcode update for my Z370 Ulta Gaming and as far is this tool is concerned I have passed with Good Performance...

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  12. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    Updated BIOSES for MSI

MSI Bioses: https://www.msi.com/news/detail/QBt...HcZnxQNrE3uwkiUor437JtN5UyEv_PKbKx1DpEUNxNA~~
    -----------------------
    Was looking for updated bioses on the motherboard's page but NOTHING NEw for X299-series, 200-series, 100-series and X99-series motherboards!

NOTE: MSI says: "Furthermore, MSI is preparing updates for its X299-series, 200-series, 100-series and X99-series motherboards. For these platforms, BIOS versions containing similar security patches are expected to be ready very soon. Keep an eye on the product pages to check for their availability."

---------------------------[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  13. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Wow, I have to say well done MSI, looks pretty comprehensive, at least backwards to X99. I wish Asus was this prompt...

14. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Accoding to this ASUS page, a good bunch of Asus mobos will get the spectre fix. I don't see the bios version listed for my mobo available anywhere, so I assume it's still being verified. Good to know it's coming, though.

15. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    No fix for Rampage 5 Extreme. Tbh, it's a disgrace.

16. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    It would be pretty weird if they make a bios for two random X99s but leave the rest of the X99 mobos intact. Or is there something special about those two? Are they the last two with some new mobo architecture implemented?

17. OldTarget

OldTarget Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 Ti OC
    Something strange, this tool gives me a different result than the microsoft powershell script check. With MS script I am supposed to be protected. With this tool I am not protected against Spectre.

Asus Z170-Pro with BIOS 3703 and windows 10 1607 up to date.

18. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'm not sure but it could be that they were the last two boards that were released by Asus with the X99 chipset. But that's still not making any sense since the microcode update is the same for every X99 board, they'd just have to do the compiling more than twice. And there's yet no official statement of Asus to what's happening with the rest of the X99 line... they just said they'd fix everything by the end of January, but I remain sceptical, why would they announce those two boards and not the rest then?

19. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Anybody know what is the oldest Mobo MSI are supporting that bios update for?

20. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Ive just updated my own bios with UBT containing latest CPU microcodes that have spectre fixes.

Tool from https://www.win-raid.com/t154f16-Tool-Guide-News-quot-UEFI-BIOS-Updater-quot-UBU.html latest version has the latest Intel Microcodes dated 20/11/17 that have Spectre fix.

You download a copy of your latest bios, run UBT, open your bios, update CPU Microcode to latest (may as well update all other stuff - Intel OROM etc etc) save bios, then flash this bios on your mobo.
    Viola you are upto date.

Ive been using the tool for years to keep my Bios upto date

Screen shot of my 4770k with MSI z87

[​IMG]

typhon6657, Dragondale13 and JAMVA like this.