Is it still possible to get a copy of windows 10?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by topcat77, Nov 17, 2017.

1. topcat77

topcat77 Master Guru

GPU:
    msi gaming 6900xt
    Sorry if the title is off here. I have a ISO on a dvd of windows 10 I got back when it was free. It works fine with my code. This is the issue. I may be upgrading to a new computer case and it has no optical drives. Can I get a update version to put on a flash drive thats like the dvd iso? The iso copy I have is from the last day it was free what ever that version was.

2. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Just rip an ISO of the DVD and put it on a thumb drive with Rufus. I dont have an optical drive in my main rig. Hell all I use is a thumb drive anymore for any windows install.
    You can use the newest version of Win 10 iso with your key. My key worked no issue from free upgrade using the Win 10 FCU update when I got my 960 EVO.

3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
  4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    The free offer has nothing to do with the ISO you use, you can use the latest or oldest, it's the activation that was free, it still is atm, so if installing on a new machine make sure you activate with your 7/8/x key before Dec 31st (Possible it will still work after this, but they are ending the assistive technologies free upgrade then)

5. topcat77

topcat77 Master Guru

GPU:
    msi gaming 6900xt
    Thanks everyone.
    So does this mean my windows 7 keys won't work any more? I'm buying a new hard drive (ssd) as you all have highly recommended. Just waiting for a sale on the samsung evo 850.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    We don't know yet, but the last remaining official free offer is ending Dec 31st, so activate with 7/8/x key to get your digital license for that hardware before then

7. topcat77

topcat77 Master Guru

GPU:
    msi gaming 6900xt
    I need a bit more help with all this please.
    I did as stated above and downloaded the windows 10 tool and put windows 10 on a flash drive.
    I then used RUFUS to create a bootable drive (I think). I use think because I can.t boot from the usb.

This is how I used RUFUS.
    I had windows 10 on a 16GB flash drive.
    I ran RUFUS (EXE).
    It picked up the flash drive I had win 10 on.
    I clicked start.
    It said all information on flash drive would be lost.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    If you used the media creation tool to make the USB stick then you can just boot from that

Rufus is only for making USB sticks using ISO you've downloaded

No need to use both

If you have the ISO make sure it is on the PC not USB, then you can use Rufus to create the USB stick and yes it will wipe the stick in the process while it is writing the install files to it

9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    As said before, media creation tool makes a bootable usb.

Unless you picked "create iso".

You only use Rufus to install iso to usb

10. mindaz3

mindaz3 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX
    Yep as stated before, you don't need to use any third party tool to get bootable Windows 10 image. Just use official MS tool for Windows 10 and set target as DVD or USB and it will do everything for you automatically.

386SX likes this.

11. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    You are mixing two options to create one. ;-)

Option 1:
    Download the said "Media Creation Tool" Lucidus gave you: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
    Insert your USB drive (it does not matter if data is on it or not)
    Run the Media Creation Tool
    Choose the option to put the files directly on your USB drive (NOT the ISO option!)
    Let the tool finish
    - RECOMMENDED - > Reboot and try if your USB drive is working

Option 2:
    Download the tool like above and insert your USB drive and run the tool
    Choose the option to download the ISO (choose a destination you may remember afterwards, for example your desktop)
    Let the tool finish
    Run RUFUS and select your ISO to "burn" (copy) it on USB. (I do not use RUFUS often enough to give you instructions about how to use it, sorry)

Option 3 (ADVANCED!):
    Proceed like in option 2 to download the ISO
    Format your USB drive to NTFS
    Open an administrative command prompt ("cmd" => run as admin!)
    type DISKPART (hit ENTER after each of the commands!)
    type LIST DISK to show your attached disks --> compare the shown sizes with your USB drive to identify which disk no.# it is! Remember this number for the next step!)
    type SELECT DISK <no.# of your disk here> ---> for example SELECT DISK 2
    type LIST PARTITION --> it should show you only one partition on your previously formatted USB drive! If NOT, you have selected the wrong drive and you have to redo from the DISKPART point
    type SELECT PARTITION <no.# of your partition (1) here> ---> for example SELECT PARTITION 1
    type ACTIVE
    type EXIT
    close the command prompt
    extract the ISO with 7-zip or WinRAR to your USB drive

The "Media Creation Tool" does almost the same like option 3, but automatic.

You will end up with a bootable Windows 10 stick.

EDIT: I recalled this tool here:
    http://wudt.codeplex.com/
    (Windows USB/DVD Download Tool)
    This still works with Windows 10 ISOs. Run the tool after you finished downloading your ISO, select your USB drive and it does the same like option 3 and makes it bootable.

12. epguy19

epguy19 Active Member

GPU:
    ATI Xpress 200 - 128Mb
    If the original Win7/8x key was an OEM key and you upgrade to Win10, it should still activate, despite the Dec. 31, 2017 deadline. For retail keys of Win7/8x, it might be different.

13. HK-1

HK-1 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580 Power Color
    only for info: I make upgrade in my old laptop LGC400 to Windows 10 using Assistive Technologies in 15.01.2018 @ 23:59 with Windows10Upgrade24074.exe so now I have my HWID I almost forget free upgrade lol :D

14. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Free upgrade from Win7/8.1 to Win10 using Assistive Technologies expired (or not?) on 16.01.2018 according to MS's so in time you've got your laptop's HWID registered for Win10 (15.01.2018 @ 23:59) you still had 1 day ond one minute left for free upgrade, no need to hurry :)

Assistive Techologies free upgrade to Win10 link is still active and *.exe is stil available for download:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade
    ...and I'm wondering if anyone tried to do free Assistive technologies upgrade past January 16 2018?

I've already registered sme time ago all of my rigs running OEM and retail Win7/8.1 licences for future Win10 install when time comes to jump into Win10 bandwagon, but all of these PCs are still running either Win7 or (mostly) Win8.1 so I don't have any spare PC to try if free upgrade to Win10 using Assistive Techinologies trick still works.

Anyone?

15. HK-1

HK-1 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580 Power Color
    hehe yep I almost forgot upgrade my beloved old machine for me my LGC400 is my third hand and I have a lot of history about it since times when my wife present it in 2010 with this machine I learn how to make repair in any laptop alone and today I earn some $$$ :D so my two machines have HWID I hope that all members here also have HWID of course :)

16. HK-1

HK-1 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580 Power Color
    hehe funny thing when I come to LG website (some months ago) them warn me that my machine don't support Windows 10 then ok ;) but after my upgrade to W10 all works fine and related to video driver into device manager is the same that W8.1 (Intel 8.15.10.2900) :D:p