Graphics Card Prices are on the Rise Again

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 15, 2018.

1. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Perhaps soon. I recently tried mining Monero with my Threadripper, and got a decent $5.30 US dollars a day in NiceHash (this is more than mining Ethereum with a RX 580). This compares very favorably to my 4790K, which can only do about $1.2 a day. As CPUs become more multi-core, they might become suitable for mining as well.

2. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I don´t think it´s a case of the market correcting itself or the stuff being too cheap. I think the problem is due to the fabs capacity or lack of it. 5 or 10 years ago Nvidia and AMD had all the fab capacity they wanted because very few companies had products that need state of the art chips but then the smartphones exploded with an ever going complexity increase lead by multiple players, specially Apple. This explosion led to an unprecedented demand for chips, demand that i think fabs are having an hard time keeping up to. For example Apple always gets the first waves of wafers of a new node because they have the money to do it and then all the other companies have to fight for the leftovers including Nvidia and AMD. Not to mention that smaller nodes are getting so expensive that some companies are already saying that it´s better to stick with older nodes than jump to new ones...
    And then we have situations like GPU mining or Nvidia´s dominance that really don´t help the prices going down...

This is just my opinion of course.

Clouseau likes this.
  3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    i am glad i did my set up from 1060gtx to 1070ti black from evga at there original prices cause they tacked on another 30 $ they also raised the shipping price too

4. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    gfx market overall has been full blown FUBAR since 480 launch. right now its clearly a combined issue of opportunistic pricing (this current spike) mixed with wiped out stock...fabs cant keep up in whole or in part. you know why? normal people who dont know the difference between silicon & silicone are building mining farms because they heard you can burn electricity to print money.

sooooooooooo now we have to deal with them horning in on a niche market of enthusiast hardware that was otherwise reserved for those who had relevant interest in, & knowledge of, said equipment. im actually getting relatively worried at this point - we cant expect mining to hit a brick wall any time soon & for all the unwelcome parties to disperse. quite unrealistic. we also cant anticipate fabrication adjusting its methodology or capacities in general without also fundamentally shifting their focus as well

5. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
  6. Harkon

Harkon Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 960 4G
    Guys! On the rise?? It's a nuclear fallout for GFX cards!
    You may want to hang onto your whatever gfx card you got right now!! Seriously!

Newegg and Amazon, both have a wiped out inventory beside a few lonely 1050s (also double the price) , anything up from 1050ti -1060-1070-1080 are completely gone!! Look around , check the links, check any website, a 1060-6GB is going for $600!! I have never seen anything like this, last year July was far lesser hit, this time the miners show no mercy to any gfx card! (last year the top dogs and the bottom budgets was safe)

This morning I saw a "super bargain" GTX1060-3GB for $280, only 10 minutes later someone bought it up as I refreshed the page.

Right now I'm selling my RX 480 on Ebay, because I'm getting almost 3X the return for what I bought it for last year and I'm falling back on a GTX 980 I'm about the acquire for very cheap.
    I hate to sound like a doom-bird, but this may change the gaming landscape forever as gfx manufacturers may just gonna fixate on miners or see an opportunity to ask 3X the price for the same hardware, just because they can sell it no problem.
    Check this out :
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...x+1060&sprefix=gtx,aps,180&crid=1NBSL198Z23KF

And check this out (newegg)
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...scription=gtx+1060&ignorear=0&N=-1&isNodeId=1

7. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    As long as electricity is cheaper than the value one can mine...It makes sense monetarily to utilize off times for mining. How the next upgrade will be financed.

8. Harkon

Harkon Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 960 4G
  9. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Its pretty bad, hd 6970's are going for 100$ on craigslist now, shits crazy, seems they will buy anything that can mine. anything with more than 1gb of vram is being bought up it seems

10. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    Just read this article and had a quick check on mine, Gigabyte Extreme 1080ti , i paid 700 UK pounds last year and now from the same place its 818 pounds , that's just insane , i definitely wouldn't pay that much for it then nor now . I feel sorry for people looking to upgrade at this time .

11. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    Awful situation...request and demand sucks but good profit so...mining -gimmick- is to blame actually.

12. blitz72

blitz72 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Sooo glad I picked up my 1070 early part of last year. The same exact one I paid like $390 is now $1,100! WTF. This is crazy.

13. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    It is for mining... i have a problem with my PSU at work, it was impossible to put the hand on an over 1000W, non redundand, pro PSU...

When put at the side of this news it might explain the problems of both part.

14. Sergio

Sergio Guest

GPU:
    Asus 760 DirectCU II OC
  15. gydj

gydj Guest

You know what, I suspect MicroCenter had just collected all cards they have and set up a mining farm somewhere in a northern state, maybe Ohio, where their headquarter is..... Why sell those money printing machine at thin margin?

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Microcenter is where i bought evga 1060gtx SSC for 299$

17. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Companies don't play chance games. Cryptocurrency bubble just getting bigger.
    More and more people jump on a crypto bandwagon without knowledge, shaking it and making it unstable.

It's individuals and small group of people who goes all in for it.

There so much in common with sites that trades cryptocurrency and CS:GO skins, it's amazing.
    The most horrible common issue is, they don't seem to be eager to pay you in cash when you want to get money and quit.

I saw too many people complaining they can't get their cash from cryptocurrency...

All it takes a slight slip, a slight panic, that will cause global avalanche.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  18. gydj

gydj Guest

Just a quick check, out of a total 163 listed cards, only 46 are in stock in their NY long island store. And 1060 is the best you can get for gaming in those 46. Where did all the higher end cards disappear?

19. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Gamers might just bought it. Since price of 1080 and 1080Ti is not too far from inflated miner friendly gpus.
    And since there not a lot of higher end GPU in stock, that could explain it.

20. gydj

gydj Guest

It's been bubbling for awhile..... I'm not saying MicroCenter or any graphics card manufacture should turn themselves completely into mining farm. I just think they are smart to take the opportunities here. You need hardware and tech savvy person to ride the cryptocurrency wave, and MicroCenter happen to have all those....If they are closing the shop to bet on farming that would be wrong.