Graphics Card Prices are on the Rise Again

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 15, 2018.

1. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    1080Ti on day of release from Amazon, under £700 BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yep i noticed this, the 1070ti black was 469 now it 499 that is direct from evga, other prices it probably worse. i which means the step up price for it went up 30$

3. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Cheapest 1080Ti i could see in the UK (and i didnt look that hard) was a smidge under £700 making them no cheaper than release day, funny how many people said i was mad buying the day they came out ;)

Solfaur likes this.
  4. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Getting the 1080Ti on release was the best thing I've done hardware purchase wise in 2017... haven't seen my card at such a low price as then ever since.

airbud7, Silva and pegasus1 like this.

5. fredgml7

fredgml7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7600
    I'm glad that I don't need to upgrade right now. Yeah, I was thinking about upgrade, but I wont, this is madness(RAM too), I'm probably going to upgrade in 2019 If the prices are right or in case of an extreme necessity.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    airbud7 likes this.
  6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Big question is what sort of pricing next gen GPUs will be. Nvidia at least may have something out in next few months. I'll bet they take advantage of it and increase their MSRP.

__hollywood|meo likes this.
  7. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I guess I'll retire my gaming hobby then.
    On the bright side, more time for *SPAM* and procreating girls.

airbud7 and StewieTech like this.
  8. fredgml7

fredgml7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7600
    Playing on consoles is fun too.

9. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Thats the spirit lad, go at them champ! :) Show us your pimping skills!

schmidtbag, Silva and airbud7 like this.
  10. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    I think people will just upgrade less often, i have an i7 2700k at 5ghz with 16GB RAM, absolutelky no need for me to upgrade to anything else for gaming. I buy the fastest card available at the time, watercool it OC it and easily skip a generation without much of an issue, 580GTX, 780GTX, 1080Ti. Even at 4k my rig is good for a couple more years at least.

airbud7 and Barry J like this.

11. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Speaking about gaming GPUs...

Market rules are not pleasant when you must pay more because there is no alternative.

Things are getting worst for the summer: Nvidia has yet no competition in performance and price for 1070ti/1080/1080ti and Volta is coming.
    Nvidia will have Two gens advantage in gaming GPUs.

Who can blame Nvidia to rise the prices when there is no alternative?

12. Darkning

Darkning Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 QuickSilver
    I'm sure the real culprit surely is mining, but could Christmas money and an attractive upgrade market be partially to blame as well? At least in my case it was - I bought a 1070ti right before(or just as) the wave started rising and sold off my 1070 for the sake of a minor upgrade. Surely other people are doing the same as well, albeit with a bigger transition than a 1070 to a 1070ti.

13. liesenberg

liesenberg Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
    I know the feeling mate. I got a I7 875k at 4.0Ghz (I could push it hard since its soldered but i'am afraid to damage my mobo since its a rare Intel model DP55KG) with 16 gigs too, and I am running it paired with a GTX 1060 6GB with zero issues at 1080p 75hz... I only feel a little bottlenecked in games that are purely single threaded like DOTA 2 and CS:GO (150-200 FPS average and something like 50% GPU usage)... but when it comes to well threaded games my very old i7 still holds up to my expectations beatifully (60-75 FPS rock solid)... and with the prices and all atm I dont feel to exited to upgrade... i think i will keep my i7 for a couple of years...

Sorry about getting of topic here... but i think the more we advance towards the multithreaded optimization of all engines out there, more life to a vast amount of silicon we will achieve.

Regards Will.

14. EdInk

EdInk Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 (H20)
    I think is a combination of mining and business minded people looking to capitalise on the situation.

15. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I think in some ways this was the issue to start with... we had people not upgrading CPU's and/or GPUS and well systems in general for years, i had my 2700k for almost 6 years i think it was, for the industry that cant be good if we have hundreds of thousands of people doing the same thing. The same can be said about Gpu's many still using 400/500 series of cards to this day, the 750ti is still insanely popular.

Still this is more food for thought, if us the consumer has had some role in this causing prices to increase due to a more limited sales. Years ago unless you upgraded every year you were massively behind, now you can use an old 6 year system to play games with very little too no issues... i do wonder if this is one of the reasons for the massive price increases over the years... i know mining hasn't helped either but that is a much more modern issue compared to some of the other issues.

airbud7 likes this.

16. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I believe the need for upgrading has been reduced due to low power consoles and there poor ports . I remember new games needed new GPUs just to see all the detail GPU's now don't really bring
    anything new they just do it faster. Better games will bring back the need to upgrade. I have only upgraded because i upgraded the resolution i game at 1080p to 4K not because of games

airbud7 likes this.
  17. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    as long as she's got twin sisters for me and Stew....Heck Yea!...:D

PS: I don't mind sloppy seconds as long as y'all don't take all day!.....hurry up it's my turn!

Silva likes this.
  18. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    First it was HDD due to the flood. Those prices never went back to pre-flood. RAM is still going up as well. Now GPUs. When will motherboards and CPUs join in the fun? This is how consoles will remain relevant for the masses. As difficult as it is to stomach, still feel the market is correcting itself. All this stuff has been way too cheap for too long. I can still remember spending more on 512MB of additional ram than 32GB costs today. Looks like the party is over. Miners became the additional base the market was looking to attract, unfortunately for us.

airbud7 likes this.
  19. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Wow.... I hope you're wrong but something tells me you're not.

20. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    EDIT to my above post: Who will be the next motherboard producer to go strictly budget or shutter the doors? My guess would be MSI or ASRock. Still have a functioning ABit board along with the ATI 9600 I bought for the build. Very first motherboard I ever bought for a diy build was a SOYO from Fry's along with a K6-III.