Graphics Card Prices are on the Rise Again

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    It's a bit weird to pinpoint what exactly the reason is behind it all, but ever since a week or two, there seem to be graphics card shortages, driving up prices rather significantly. ...

Graphics Card Prices are on the Rise Again

2. Darkiee

Darkiee Master Guru

GPU:
    7900XTX
    Glad i upgraded from 1070 to 1080Ti before christmas. I was rather happy about the prize, 777,77€.
    Still managed to get 380€ from that 1070

3. Vmhasegawa

Vmhasegawa Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480 8gb
    Well.. Guess I'll have to sit on my 480 for now... Not like I was planning on Vega or anything, just glad I grabbed it before this madness.
    Could be memory price related as well? I mean, DDR4 prices are ridiculous right now too.

juvat and airbud7 like this.
  4. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I know the price have gone thru the roof after Nov, 15 my Vega is now worth DBL what I paid for it as there easy get 800 $macker$.

5. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    I've been wondering that myself. It seems plausible that the vendors wouldn't want to produce as many cards with the DRAM price fixing/artificial shortage. The miners exacerbate things as well.

EspHack and juvat like this.
  6. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    It's definitely due to mining. Specifically, the price of Ethereum spiked late last year and miners are scrambling to get in on the action.

Consider this. The last mining craze happened when Ethereum was $400, with a market cap of about $40 billion. Today, Ethereum is trading for over $1300 with a market cap of $127 billion. Ethereum mining is now more profitable than it has ever been.

At $1300 per ETH, even a thousand dollars GPU looks cheap. As long as prices stay at this level, we can expect continued shortages.

Solfaur likes this.
  7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
  8. KayserKay

KayserKay Member

GPU:
    Palit Super JS GTX 1070
    How much (EUR) could I sell my Palit GTX 1070 Super Jetstream now??? It´s one and a half year old.

9. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    8700k/1080ti set up cost more than a red Camaro I'm looking at.

Master race thing is getting tough.

10. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Pricing seems to be around the same in the UK for most the cards, with some increasing just a little... the RX 56 mind you has increased stupidly being priced at around £640-£700 making it as costly as a 1080ti (cheapest £698)right now... Ouch

Retrailers are just trying to make as much money as humanly possible now, i am starting to doubt that this craze will ever go now. Too many different coins and people hoping its the next bitcoin.

airbud7 likes this.

11. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    Wow, It now seems my GTX1070oc costing £350 derived is now looking like a super bargain.

pegasus1 and airbud7 like this.
  12. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Yah sadly it's Crypto-mining is driving up the costs and supply I'm very certain.. I was in Microcenter yesterday and they had gotten a shipment of video cards in stock. I stuck around for about an hour and all of them sold out within an hour of opening!! It was kind of nuts!

I saw this one guy who I talked with for a few minutes buying 10 video cards, I think I counted 4 GTX1060s, 3 GTX1070s, 2 GTX1070Tis and a GTX1080!! He told me he was building 2 mining computers. I also asked if he had ever done any gaming. He said he hadn't done any type of computer or videos games since the original NES when he was in high school. Yah so you have people buying cards now who NEVER were in the gaming market before. And they are not buying just one or two cards...

The rest of the faster cards were bought up as well.. most people buying 2-3 at a time too!! I wouldn't be surprised if people using those for mining too or people just trying to resell them.

SHS likes this.
  13. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Yep! ...old tale "bird in the hand" comes to mind....Thank god I got mine!...:D

14. DARKSF

DARKSF Active Member

Well the price is good and i can tell you from a small country as Bulgaria there is huge demand for miners right now and it is imposiible to find a hihg end GPU in the stores since all the importers are selling the stuff the moment it arrives through a back channels to miners (for more money than they would to the shops) and telling the shops they are expiriencing shortages due to high demand.So basically it is almost imposible to find high end GPUs in any shop same goes for high end PSUs , mining boards or cheap boards with more PCIe slots.Even power metters :D

Solfaur likes this.
  15. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Yup that what I been hearing also

16. lukas_1987_dion

lukas_1987_dion Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Phantom GS
    Same here...

pegasus1 and airbud7 like this.
  17. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Yeah, crazy but not hard to believe. Last year some shops over here in Finland told they have got Russian guys coming in to buy all suitable video cards they could find on the shelves. That is, these Russians applied for a visa, travelled hundreds of kilometers (or more) to visit an EU country, only to buy video cards from random computer stores. Pretty sure they weren't gamers, haha.

18. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    this is nuts newegg.ca has only 1 gtx 1080 available right now in stock and it costs a $1539!!!! even the cheapest out of stock model is 730$ i only payed 670$ on black friday and that was already gouging.

19. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Need to get my hand on a dozen of those GTX 10670s Hilbert is talking about in the article, 1 ETH/hour easily.

Silva and airbud7 like this.
  20. Ziggymac

Ziggymac Guest

GPU:
    Asus 970 Strix SLi
    You should have spat on the scum bag parasite...

jaggerwild and Silva like this.