Geforce driver 390.65 WHQL Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by skizzo, Jan 8, 2018.

1. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Chipset has plenty of device drivers on it. It's just that it usually doesn't make any difference whether you use the Windows default ones or install them from chipset manufacturer.

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Load lag?

3. Rapyer

Rapyer Guest

GPU:
    1080ti

negative. i rolled back to 388.13 and stuttering when looking around is gone. its worse with filters applied as well. i can run reshade with no stutter or without noticable performance issues on 7700k with 1080ti with 3400mhz ram

4. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    So far so good, performance looks like it's sticking.Will continue monitoring to know for sure.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. Xul Aethyr

Xul Aethyr Active Member

GPU:
    1080TI MSI Gaming X 2ghz
    when i have a slightly unstable overclock performance slowly gets worse, happens with any driver, only a reboot fixes it (restarting driver doesnt help)

6. Rapyer

Rapyer Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    ok i finally isolated it.

it was the latest geforce overlay that is causing the stutter. 3.12

filter on or off, replays on or off, instant replay on or off.

uninstalled it completely (not just turned it off) and it's now stutter free

7. Archvile82

Archvile82 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX 4090 OC
    Unfortunately that's how it is with HDR on the LG range. Only way around it is if the game supports it is use internal resolutions scaling. So set the game display res to 4k and reduce internal render scaling to 50% for 1440p for example.

Thankfully most games that support hdr support this.

Also a little tip, if you got a 6 series LG make sure you re select the input after launching a hdr game or you will get banding. If the tv re-initilizes hdr after adjusting brightness controls in game repeat the process (re7 does this for example).

On a side note I definitely seen worse performance on some games on my 4790k and 1080ti since the security patch roll out. Star wars BF2 is the worse offender. But I also have some games that appear to run a bit better too so I'm confused lol.

With regards to the driver, it's been okay so far. Only bug I found is the HDMI sound is re-enabled on reboot.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  8. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I've opted out on the bios update for my motherboard. It seems very buggy and absolutely kills performance. I'm overclocked to 4.6ghz and performance dropped to worse than it was on stock. I don't think it's because of the microcode. I'm using a 6600k and a Asus z170a.

9. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    The microcode is the bios update - intel releases microcode updates to OEMs and they include them in BIOS updates, to be applied during POST. They're not permanent, the microcode is applied each time the machine is turned on. Under Linux you can do this in software with the kernel itself during runtime (and so, can optionally load it without updating the BIOS, or not load the microcode at all).

10. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Can confirm this issue after more hours on PUBG, there's lag spikes (not net, graphic stutter) that occur spontaneously (only on Erangel I believe) and just go away. Going to roll back to test if it disappears.

EDIT:

Rolled back to previous driver and issue seems to be resolved, but only tested with 2 games (they were long games though, top 5 in both). To be absolutely sure, we'll probably need to test much more than just 2 games.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018

11. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    Ye the problem with HDR that I have the C6 series and I wanted to play HDR + 3D super depth reshade , doing so internal resolution scaling disables the 3D depth buffer making 3D absolute in the game.... so I am STUCK ....................... Crappy 1080p resolution or 4K 15-30 Fps ...... wtff

Also I have AMD 1950x , so I won't see performance reduction would I ?

For example my friend AMD Vega card can do 2560x1440 properly . it just bloody NVidia who can't.

12. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    After some more testing I came to conclusion that the driver produce easily noticeable regular stutter after each display mode (e.g. resolution) change. This stutter is easily noticeable in any browser, when using smooth scrolling or watching a YouTube video. It's also happening in pretty much any game running on any API. Restarting Windows fixes the stutter but it's a bit too heavy of a fix. Will probably downgrade to 388.xx till the next release.

Stutter looks like this (see frametime graph):

[​IMG]

Two hitches followed by a longer pause and then two hitches again. It repeats until the OS is rebooted.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  13. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    Nvidia drivers are just getting worse and worse. and windows Wddm 2.3 doesn't help

14. Flakman

Flakman Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    @dr_rus Which of the 388.xx drivers did you revert to?

Thank you.

15. Flakman

Flakman Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Well this driver has been ugly "Clean install with DDU". I now have stutters and pauses in games. I also have stutters in game menus, and the most irritating thing has been on system shut down I get the message that Nvfbcpluginwindow is still running and needs to close before windows 10 can shut down. I takes about 90 sec for it to close.

Rolled back to 388.xx drivers and stutters/hangs are gone. but the Nvfbcpluginwindow message is still there on shut down.

16. ocsystem

ocsystem Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6600xt
    windows 10 is causing this. try win8 you will be sorted

17. Minotaur

Minotaur Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 1080 GLH
    Why is Geforce Experience not installed on Win 8.1? *sigh*

18. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I haven't but if I will I'll probably try the latest Vulkan beta (388.84).

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Well i still haven't had any bsod freeze if I opened multiple flash video tabs @388.71 like i did with 390.65..

So there is defo something crap going on with r390 branch.

20. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Lol! I tried to re-create that scenario you described the same evening I read it.
    I opened like 8 videos and had all of them visible in their own space running, my kid asked me if I was going crazy lol!
    Left them running for the duration of their episodes (30mins) she didn't mind at all, told her to come get me if anything looked like it was frozen or entire screen turns blue.
    Nothing happened and went on to Watch Dogs 2 and no issues.
    Maybe try resetting system overclock or if you don't use Virtual machines then disable everything Hyper-V related in bios and windows.