Intel Shares Security Fix Benchmarks for Desktop

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Until you get BIOS updates in conjunction with the OS updates, there's really no point.

Fact of the matter is: Older hardware is said to potentially be hit harder, but, older hardware is likely to be left open to attack, at least partially, due to BIOS' not being updated.

2. Perjantai

Perjantai Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080
    I tought IME bug only applied to 6 gen and above. Sadly yes these new ones affect but atleast windows patch doesn’t make witcher 3 10% slower ;)

3. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    No point for testing older hardware i.e. CPU's without new CPU microcodes beeing released, updated microcodes needed to mitigate Meltdown and Spectre security flaws.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    That's because old machines don't get microcode updates... no love for 2000 and 3000 series CPUs. But I'm surprised that obviously you missed all that, since those news are circulating for a week now...

The windows patch does next to nothing different. But without a mikrocode update you're still vulvernable for all but one of those attack routes, more or less rendering it useless.

This.

5. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    I've heard the speculation Intel tested only Skylake and upwards because migitations cost far less on Skylake and newer than on Haswell and lower, so this test will only be another marketing BS from Intel.

That's just what I heard, not my opinion.

If my Pentium II 350 could run Win10, I would give it a try and post results, but I cannot find compatible drivers for my ASUS P2B-F. The "newest" OS available to choose from is "Win9x". :)

6. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Honestly I would like to see Sandy and Ivy to get updated microcodes. Those CPUs and systems they're running really deserves few more years of healthy life. 2600K/2700K/3770K OCed @ 4.4GHz and up are still one helluva beasty CPUs, hell even i5 Sandy and i5 Ivy are still powerful CPUs OCed to 4.5GHz and higher but they're showing their age now with more CPU demanding multithreaded optimised games and apps, it's a playground where HT advantage of i7 Sandy and Ivy now really makes them worthy for those who invested a bit more cash back in 2011 and 2012 buying higher priced i7 Sandy or Ivy istead of i5 Sandy or Ivy.

Also it's a bit on a weird side that Intel didn't released updated microcodes for lets say Sandy 2600K for few years now but older CPUs like for example Werstmere based Xeon X5670 has a newer microcode (both still without Meltdown/Spectre-proof updated microcodes tho) compared to Sandy. 2600K introduced back in January 2011 latest microcode dates back in 2013 but older Xeon X5670 introduced back in March 2010 latest microcode dates back in 2015. Guess Inrtel thinks something like: if ain't broken - don't fix it...

I'm almost sure nothing below LGA1155 would get updated microcodes to mitigate Meltdown/Spectre security flaw this time. 2000 and 3000 series Sandy and Ivy: even for those chances are slim, lots af these are still in use nowadays and guess many Intel Sandy/Ivy users will be pissed if Intel doesn't invest some time to fix and release new microcodes for these. I would like to be wrong this time but guess no love for 1366 and 1156 series CPU's in form of updated microcodes for these. I still own few 1366 rigs, mostly Xeon X5670-X5675 based and OCed to 4.4GHz HT and higher, packed with PCIE SATA3 & USB3.0 cards, SSDs and beefy GPUs those things still kick ass in everything that's been thrown in front of them.

Intel, if you read this (lol) make me regret for those hopeless statements above and release updated microcodes for Sandy, Ivy, Westmere, Nehalem...

JAMVA likes this.
  7. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
    Yeah, i know that, but like the others on the forum already mentioned, that machines are still pretty powerful, they can still be used without a problem in daily tasks, we are still years away from the point where 4c/8t Sandy Bridge is obsolete.

8. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    Just do a 200Mhz over clock and call it a day.

9. gdeliana

gdeliana Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 1660 Ti
    So in other words to cut it short:

Performance is not compromised if the microcode is not updated as well? Windows update alone, without cpu microcode update will not compromise performance??

10. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Indeed,in the wild tests I see better performance with windows patched without cpu microcodes.But depends of the tasks you use daily.In gaming the perf is not drastically changed.

11. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
  12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yep, unsure of what to do now: no issues with performance loss tbh, but if my system would randomly reboot it would be rendered inusable for many tasks in the professional area, as well as gaming in many cases like online coop or competitive play.

Honestly, I prefer a hackable system to one I can't use.