Intel Shares Security Fix Benchmarks for Desktop

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Intel has released a set of desktop and laptop benchmark results with the security patches in place. They compare mobile (Kaby Lake) and Desktop CPUs (Coffee lake, Kaby and Sky lake)....

Intel Shares Security Fix Benchmarks for Desktop

2. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
    So basically their test is just smoke and mirrors

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    how you see that, even HH said it matches what he has seen

4. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Basically 1-2% difference in most cases, with some very heavy cases hitting around 4% difference in performance. Though general users would be hard pressed to see these differences, these would effect massive content creators/ servers and maybe even software programmers the most. Though as the table says these results are in a +/- of 3% meaning take them with a grain of salt as tests are never 100% accurate and go up and down all the time.

Personally I've not seen or noticed anything of difference if there has been a 1/2 fps drops in games i would never personally notice something like that, Though CPU usage and temps seem about the same as before the patches and CPU-Z seems to give me similar results

Single thread - 547
    Muti Thread - 4106.2
    (not overclocked)

Using newest version of CPU-z

5. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
    They didn't test old machines, as i have noticed plenty of people here on forum have "old" 2000 or 3000 series cpu's.

Edit: That is one of more interesting stuff to test and that is the thing Intel is in unique position to test, of course i am not forgetting that they didn't post results for even older systems, and god knows there are plenty of Core2 CPU's in use

HitokiriX likes this.
  6. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    According to MS the Haswell and older chips got hit harder so this doesn't apply to a lot of us even if Intel didn't twist the numbers.

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    it should plainly obivous if current stuff have hit older stuff will have much bigger hit. im sure my dads 8400e will take much bigger hit, but requardles, you have to pick your posion, do the updates and take the hit or dont do the updates you dont regeret it.

Intel could do test on ALL there cpu that effect, but that is ALOT CPU, which isnt gona happen and no one in there right mind would expect them too, would be nice sure is it gona happen probably not, cause alot those cpu are EOL already.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  8. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    While on most cases the drop is small Witcher 3 tells a different story. That drop was big.

9. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7800 XT
    I would like to see numbers from these older CPU's as well, since they are said to see a more noticeable decrease in performance. I haven't seen results to confirm the claim that older CPU's are hit harder. I'm getting slightly better CPU score in Cinebench after the patch with my 2600/Win10. Hardly worth mentioning, but I'm not seeing a decrease in Cinebench, even though I've seen newer CPU's taking a bigger hit. This is not scientific. My 'before' result is the highest score from several runs I did a few weeks ago. The 'after' results are from 3 runs I did today.
    Before: 694
    After: 699 / 695 / 699 = 697.67 average

This guys results show the same thing on his 2600k - <1% difference, and in some cases faster after patch.

It would be interesting to see SQL benchmarks, as well as seeing how updated OS/firmware affects NAS units with weaker CPU's.

10. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I´m going to wait for benchmarks of more independent sources...

fantaskarsef likes this.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    my take on the fact some game show diffrence and other dont, then same game show no difference with different cpu, tells me some engine/games dont care or are just program in way it dont mater, which would mean said games can be patchs so there is no hit.

But it also tells me these test for performance hits highly subjective and anything but consistent. from system to system cpu to cpu. it enterly possible 2 people with same cpu/gpu/amount ram cause have completely diffrent performance hits too, cause there is so many other things that factor in to peformance.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  12. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Well i guess 3-5% is what we gained in performance per clock cycle from intel generation 4 to intel generation 7?

konta likes this.
  13. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
    Well that is thing that bugs me.There is 99.99% chance that you will not receive new bios,mobo manufacturer want trouble itself with that "old" stuff.As it seems combination of new bios + MS patch can cause severe penalty. You and i don't have the resources to make new bios for mobo, but Intel has, and it would be fair from them to make and test their "old" systems. In any case time will show how this mess is going to end, but in my opinion you are scr**d, there will be penalty sooner or later.

14. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Strange all the other tests show no difference typically within the margins of error. Witcher shows a big difference I wonder if a patch of the game would fix that... Also is the effect as big on say the 8600/8700k cpus... Interesting to say the least in all the games I've played I've not seen anything noticeable as dropping 10fps

15. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7800 XT
    I definitely agree. As Kruno noted, Intel would be in position to give us some real numbers with older systems, but I don't expect it with these EOL porducts.
    Yes I agree, but I'm not sure if the mitigation is in effect without the needed microcode.

16. Aitortxo

Aitortxo Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080ti TRIO
    What I want to see is results from independent sources like this site on older CPUs (Intel 2000-3000 series) running W7 which is what the majority of people are using.

17. Perjantai

Perjantai Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080
    Happy that I sticked with 4790K.. These new intel prosessors are just awful with security holes.

18. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Not to burst your bubble, but... AFAIK, yours is also affected with IME bugs, and Spectre and Meltdown too.

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    your cpu is effected too...

20. dragonlord

dragonlord Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Beta Tester
    I am testing older (back to 2006 under Win 10) as well as the newer processors and I'm only seeing 1-2% at worst...which I have always assumed is within the margin of error for new OS and driver upgrades anyway.