Samsung Starts Volume Production 2.4 Gbps 8GB HBM2 Stacks

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Thats some fast memory, must've worked out the kinks.

3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I reckon Nvidia will happily make a new pro card using this, costing a modest 12,000 dollars apiece but still selling like hotcakes. Meanwhile AMD still can't produce anything to sell.

RzrTrek likes this.
  4. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    So when they refer to package is that 1 hbm stack or 2 because if that's one stack that's great now we can have 16gb with 2 stacks

5. semitope

semitope Guest

GPU:
    iGPU
    are you saying they cant make enough cards or that they aren't selling? Everything is selling and we don't know how their manufacturing is. They have vega chips all over the place now. In Macs and even in intel packages. So I wouldn't jump to assuming they aren't making many.

6. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    It took a long time for the reference Vegas to appear anywhere. Custom Vegas? Mmm... Yeah. I guess they do exist by now, in theory? My usual computer store is barely listing any Vegas now, probably because they feel like they would be tricking customers by promising something that can't be delivered.

You know, by last counting AMD lost GPU market share again. If they still indeed sold everything they produced, it means they aren't producing nearly enough. As a layman I can only guess it's due to their tragic decision to rely on HBM(2) for mass market purposes.

7. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    It's the same in my Country. Vega is pretty much non existent. Not one shop has stock of either 56 or 64 versions.

8. Brit90

Brit90 Member Guru

GPU:
    R390X 8GB
    Personally, I think it's a little bit more complicated than what you have said.
    1) There was huge problems with HBM supply at the start
    2) The Mining Revolution, all cards that have been made, have been sold, ergo hardly any in retail
    3) AMD over extended itself, by supplying/spending too much time with Intel and not the End consumer
    4) Now that we know HBM 2 is starting to ramp up, AMD should be able to start manufacturing more cards.

9. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    It looks like only Aib cards from now on. From a video clip at CES from Scott Wasson, that is the focus moving forward.

10. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    The upside I see is Navi on 7nm with improved HBM2 should be a beast of a card. Really Navi should be AMD's first "Ryzen" so to speak where they finally compete again. I never had very high hopes for Vega and it met those low expectations. Vega did a bit better when under lower power/frequencies than I expected but it is at a terrible disadvantage on Gloflo's 14 nm process which is also a large part as to why Ryzen wont OC very high.