Philips Releases Hue Sync software to synchronize light with your PC activity

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Hughesy

Hughesy Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr 980
    What exactly is new about this? I can already sync my games to Phillips Hue, albeit I have to use borderless window mode for it to work. Sadly for HDR games I can’t do that, as HDR requires full screen mode. It’s not a feature I use a lot anyway, I tend to just stick to a colour like purple or blue as it’s easier on the eyes than white at night.

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Philips recently updated hue with a new entertainment API with different types of synchronous/batched transactions - this allows them to update multiple lights with way lower latency. It should respond a lot faster to what's occurring on the screen now. AFAIK none of the 3rd party apps (which I assume you're using because aside from this app philips has no official screen -> light app) use the new API yet. So technically this app would be better until the others update their stuff. I assume philips just wanted their own official implementation.

4. Hughesy

Hughesy Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr 980
    Ah ok that makes sense, thanks for the explanation. Yea it is a 3rd party app I’m using:)

5. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    I keep my lights on green if I can't sync them to the game mainly cos it matches my rig but also the colour green stimulates a larger percentage of cones in the eye which has a soothing effect according to scientific evidence as the human eye has evolved to perceive more shades of green than any other colour in the spectrum, I think it's something to do with foraging for food but I digress.

6. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Why the frack would i care about a light show when i'm watching my screen, playing a game or viewing a movie?

7. Hughesy

Hughesy Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr 980
    I didn’t know that, I do use green sometimes, but that’s some good information, thanks.

Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it. It helps draw you into what you’re watching or playing. Some TV’s have it built into the edge, but when you have a whole room that can do it, it works really well. My friend was like you, then he came over and loved the effect and went and bought some Phillips HUE lights.

8. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Aaaahahahahahaha [hysterical laughing]

Okay, okay... back to serious.
    Who in their right mind would put those hugely expensive lamps outside, where they can just be.... repossessed *caugh*stolen*caugh*... by pretty much anyone.

9. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    15$ per bulb (e27). Yea. I bet you have more expensive stuff outside to be "repossessed". :)
    Besides, maybe you put it out in the backyard, or if you are in apartment, you can use it on the terrace or something.

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    People that live in an area where others don't steal lightbulbs?

gx-x likes this.