Kernel memory leaking' Intel processor design flaw forces Linux, Windows redesign

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by zero_cool, Jan 2, 2018.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Is it? I would assume that x79 platform would be listed like "Intel® Core™ X-series Processor Family for Intel® X79 platforms"
    like these two
    • Intel® Core™ X-series Processor Family for Intel® X99 platforms
    • Intel® Core™ X-series Processor Family for Intel® X299 platforms
    Did you mean that X79 platform processors were included in one of the "Nth generation Intel® Core™ processors" list items?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  2. Folken

Folken Member

GPU:
    zotac 1080gtx amp extreme
    i9 7940x is safe?

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Better assume that all Intel processors are not safe.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The i7 4930K is not an "X-series" processor, which the "K" should make pretty damn obvious as all "X-series" processors have a name ending in "X". It's a 3rd Generation Core i7 processor that Intel chose to release on the "X79 Platform"

The list of affected processors states very clearly...
    • Intel® Core™ X-series Processor Family for Intel® X299 platforms
    ...which would include any processor with a name designation ending with "X" that operates on the Intel X299 Platform.

The early 45nm Atom processors actually are safe. They are "in-order" processors and as such, had no support to any extent for any form of branch prediction or speculation.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    But do you think that 3960X, 3970X, 4960X are different from others for X79 platform? That "X" is just a marketing trick for "Extreme", not a mark of different architecture or something. ???

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
  7. Sergio

Sergio Guest

GPU:
    Asus 760 DirectCU II OC
    Hi swiSS. Left side is author's screenshot, i added my screenshot to the right side. And yes i am on win764, i7-4770k, Asus z87-Deluxe mainboard, and KB4056894 is installed with windows update.

[ "Rogue data cache load" is Meltdown, "branch target injection" is one of two Spectre variants" ]

"Rogue Data Cache Load" section > "Kernel VA Shadowing Enabled : YES" , so i am guessing my system is patched for Meltdown. But i have no idea why are those 3 options "With user pages.....", "With PCID support....", "With INVPCID support" are different than Author's screenshot...

"Branch Target Injection" section "Branch Prediction Mitigation Enabled : NO" > "Disabled due to hardware support : YES", so i am guessing i need bios/uefi update or some other things for Spectre.

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    went to install MS one to check and it wont install ps one to check

9. Sergio

Sergio Guest

GPU:
    Asus 760 DirectCU II OC
    Hi tsunami231. If i am not wrong, this tool (intel-SA-00086 Detection Tool) is not about latest CVE-2017-5715 (Spectre) or CVE-2017-5754 (Meltdown), there is no Detection Tool for those yet from microsoft if i am not wrong. It is for "Intel Management Engine Critical Firmware Update (Intel-SA-00086). So please make sure your system get the latest critical windows updates. KB4056894 if you are on win7 and no idea Win10, Win8.1 KB versions. Pls google them.

But there is a script you can use to check them >>> https://github.com/ionescu007/SpecuCheck , >>> https://github.com/ionescu007/SpecuCheck/releases .
    Download Latest "SpecuCheck.exe" file from that link and put it to C main HDD, like C:\SpecuCheck.exe ... Than open a command prompt and type SpecuCheck.exe and press Enter. See the results.

If "Rogue Data Cache Load" section > "Kernel VA Shadowing Enabled" says "NO" than your system is not patched for Meltdown. So try to update it with windows update. I am not sure manual update method, cause i am told not to manualy update them.

If your Windows Update is not giving/pushing any updates for meltdown, its because of your antivirus/antimalware program is not ready for this. If you edit your Regedit manualy for activating those KB windows updates, it can cause BSODs and maybe you can't get back in to windows. There are BSOD reports. So be careful on those. Try to get updates from windows update.

BSOD reports :
    1. AMD CPU and Windows 7 Pro x86. MSE, key in registry present. BSOD after install of kb4056894.
    2. AMD CPU and Windows 7 Pro x64. 360 TSE, key in registry added manually. Normal boot after install of kb4056894.
    another BSOD, https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/windows-7-hotfix-repository.19461/page-508#post-1401816

Anyways, i am really stressed and tired here, need to rest. Laters.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    ok i got it to work i had reinstall powershell cause from some reason any time i ran the command

Install-Module SpeculationControl
    powershell opened up a "open with" window

so i ran
    Install-Module –Name PowerShellGet –Force
    then ran

Install-Module SpeculationControl
    clicked yes to stuff then ran

then ran
    Get-SpeculationControlSettings

Code:
    Windows PowerShell
    Copyright (C) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-SpeculationControlSettings
    Speculation control settings for CVE-2017-5715 [branch target injection]

Hardware support for branch target injection mitigation is present: False
    Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is present: False
    Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is enabled: False

Speculation control settings for CVE-2017-5754 [rogue data cache load]

Hardware requires kernel VA shadowing: True
    Windows OS support for kernel VA shadow is present: False
    Windows OS support for kernel VA shadow is enabled: False

Suggested actions

* Install BIOS/firmware update provided by your device OEM that enables hardware sup
    n mitigation.
     * Install the latest available updates for Windows with support for speculation cont
     * Follow the guidance for enabling Windows support for speculation control mitigatio
    .microsoft.com/help/4072698

BTIHardwarePresent             : False
    BTIWindowsSupportPresent       : False
    BTIWindowsSupportEnabled       : False
    BTIDisabledBySystemPolicy      : False
    BTIDisabledByNoHardwareSupport : False
    KVAShadowRequired              : True
    KVAShadowWindowsSupportPresent : False
    KVAShadowWindowsSupportEnabled : False
    KVAShadowPcidEnabled           : False

looks super promising MS has not pushed the patch to me I still running 1703 the January cumulative patch has not been pushed to my system yet i hasnt been pushed to my other system, and i not gona force updates, I did hot fix fw for MEI on my mobo only

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Core i7 4930K is an Ivy Bridge based processor, same as i7 4960X. The architectures are the same. The "K" and "X" designations denote the ability to overclock. Intel could have simplified the list but chose not to. Of course, by naming, the i7 4930K is a "K-series" processor, but on ARC, Intel does list it as an "X-series" processor. Part of Intel's stupid ass naming scheme that makes no sense.

mbk1969 likes this.
  12. Sergio

Sergio Guest

GPU:
    Asus 760 DirectCU II OC
    Hi Tsunami231, here is mine for comparison.
    [​IMG]

This is SO confusing!!! Now windows update want me to install the same KB4056894 again!!! WTH!
    >>> https://i.imgur.com/YIWGHGU.png This is giving me huge anxiety!
    Here after restart , 2nd time installed >>> https://i.imgur.com/AG45V5O.png

13. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    again, there should be no performance impact from a fix. Not even 1%. The purchase of the processor brought an expectation with it

And just as important:

Patching should b a choice

14. Sergio

Sergio Guest

GPU:
    Asus 760 DirectCU II OC
  15. Xul Aethyr

Xul Aethyr Active Member

GPU:
    1080TI MSI Gaming X 2ghz
    got the windows patch, no performance change in a few benches on my 7700k so far, ill try games now

16. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
  17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I will just wait for the update to see what happen

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    It's not just a single kernel patch. You also need updated BIOS/UEFI and updates to various software, like web browsers.

When the "fix" directly affects a function that exists to improve performance, there will be an impact.

19. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Could it be 2018 is the year powerpc becomes relevant again ? lol

20. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    I'm seriously worried how the patches will affect performance of the product I work on, which uses Docker containers based on Ubuntu. Next week we'll be doing a lot of regression testing!