Glitching and buggy texture behaviors across multiple games on Vega56 with 17.12.X drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by lechip, Jan 5, 2018.

1. lechip

lechip Guest

GPU:
    Gygabyte Vega 56
    Hi!
    I have a Gygabyte Vega56. Has been working up well until this issue.

Since the Adrenaline drivers (17.12.X) I've been having strange behavior of certain terrain textures. . Behaviors include:
    • The terrain texture glitches and starts bouncing.
    • The terrain texture disappear and is no longer visible.
    • The terrain glitches once, bounces, disappear and fails to load.
    I been having this problem across multiple games including:
    • Battlefield 1
    • Dragon Age Inquisition
    • Ghost Recon Wildlands
    I haven't been able to find similar problem elsewhere and I am rather confused since it happens in at least 3 different games and 2 radically different engines.

The problem goes away after restarting the game but reappears randomly.

Note: I have reinstalled the 17.11 drivers which seem somewhat more stable. I always install drivers using Guru3D uninstall driver utility in safe mode

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Strijker

Strijker Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060Ti
    Did you keep everything at stock speeds, especially the memory speed?

3. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V17.0.8.2 in safe mode -> install 17.12.1/2.

If the problem exists, change some filter settings and test them out.

4. lechip

lechip Guest

GPU:
    Gygabyte Vega 56
    That is what i meant on the Note section of my original post:

Yes, the problem persists, that is why i reverted back to 17.11. As for the filtering, you mean in-game? I rather find a system wide solution, changing filtering in each game does not seem like an actual solution (sounds more like a mitigation), specially with an expensive high grade card like this.

5. lechip

lechip Guest

GPU:
    Gygabyte Vega 56
    I have everything as of now on vanilla settings:
    [​IMG]

6. Shellar

Shellar Guest

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    This could be caused by settings in either global or game specific Radeon profile. I can, for example, make textures missing at will in Wolfenstein II by forcing some things in its profile.

Try to end Radeon Settings process and then play your games. Or, to test if it’s game specific profile customisation, disable that game profile or make another Windows user as Radeon profiles are stored per user.

(To me, in screenshots 1, 2, 4 and 5 it looks like light sources are messed up rather than missing textures.)

7. lechip

lechip Guest

GPU:
    Gygabyte Vega 56
    I have no game specific customizations. I also resetted all the AMD Radeon Settings for the global profile

8. Strijker

Strijker Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060Ti
    Maybe you pushed your memory speed too much 1 time and now you have bad memory > corrupted graphics.

9. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
    OP, could you make some things clear to me?

1. Did you start having this issue only after you installed Adrenalin?
    2. Does the issue completely go away once you switch back to 17.11.4?
    Some things you could try:

• Verifying Game Cache.. though I think this isn't going to change the outcome by much.
    • Try downloading OCCT and use it's GPU stress test with Error Checking on to see if you get errors. Remember to set the Shader Complexity to maximum, and set the framerate cap to 0 instead of 60, and the VRAM usage to 2000. Disable monitor stand by from power Options within Control Panel so that the monitor doesn't go to sleep during the stress test. 5~10 minutes of Stress Test should be enough to determine if your GPU is faulty as the error counter will fill up, if the GPU is defective.
    • Monitor your HBM temperature if possible, I'll recommend something like HwInfo64 running in the background. See if this issue occurs only after your HBM temps hovers past a certain threshold.
    • Also, make sure your system memory (RAM) is stable too.
    • If there is an updated BIOS available for your motherboard, update it at once.
    I hate to say it, but you may have a defective card in your hands.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    AlleyViper likes this.
  10. lechip

lechip Guest

GPU:
    Gygabyte Vega 56
    It did start when I updated to Adrenalin. It does not go away completely, however, when I go back to 17.11.4 It just happens less often. Yesterday I did turn some origin in-game notifications because I thought that was triggering the issue and haven't seen it pop again. I will go to Adrenalin today to test further.

1. Will try OCCT and see results tonigth.
    2. About the temperature, what are normal HBM temps?
    3. RAM seems stable enough, there isn't any OC on those.
    4. No BIOS updates available, seems I am on the latest.

I was thinking that could be the case, actually. If that was the case, I believe here in Germany I should still be covered under warranty. I will run OCCT then, if theres a fault I can use the info to notify the shop i got it from.

Thank you so much for your comprehensive information and help!

11. lechip

lechip Guest

GPU:
    Gygabyte Vega 56
    I disabled Afterburner/RivaTunerServer and seemed to be more stable, that with the disabling of the Origin in game made me think it could be related to overlays. Since there was no issues I upgraded to 17.12.2 An reverted Afterburner/RivaTunerServer to version 4.4.0/7.0.0. Then I played for about 3-4 hours with no issue.

I also enabled the mem-clock and mem-temp display on Afterburner and I was not seeing any temperature above 70 degrees at max (that is from just glancing, I have not yet ran a proper benchmark)

So far I think is an issue of the latest Afterburner/RivaTunerServer and my particular card. Will post again after more testing.

12. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2070S|6700XT
    When running OCCT like that uncapped, sometimes it's required to set fans at maximum too, specially when cards have plates that connect VRM dissipation to memory chips, overheating them too. My (now dead) 7870 would throw errors even at stock (or at any clock) using those exact settings at the exact moment it reached 72ºC in 2-3m (which is quite a low temp), while it could spend 1h OCCT with a 60fps limit without a single error (under 70ºC) or 1h under uncapped Heaven 4.0 stress with OC (74º-75ºC) with settings that made it average 60fps for "realistic" game stress conditions.

Romulus_ut3 likes this.
  13. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
    A stable GPU shouldn't throw errors while doing OCCT uncapped. Yes, while stressed the card will run warmer, but that is a given.

14. lechip

lechip Guest

GPU:
    Gygabyte Vega 56
    I never changed the memspeed as far as I remember. I locked it at 800MHz which is stock afaik.

Will test today and post here any changes.