Midrange and high-end graphics card will get more expensive

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 4, 2018.

1. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Once PoS is implemented, it will no longer be possible to mine Ethereum using GPUs (mining will be replaced by "staking", which is based on how much Ethereum you hold, not how much work you do). It will essentially make all GPUs useless for Ethereum mining.

I also live in Canada (in Toronto in Ontario) but I don't think it's as bad as you're making it out to be. Although there are a lot of things to complain about here (e.g., gas and electricity prices), PC parts is not one of them, and I regularly order things from Newegg.ca for a fair price. Frankly, when I hear about some of the prices in Europe, I feel somewhat thankful.

2. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Look on the bright side though, good time to squeeze that OC some more. :D

airbud7 likes this.
  3. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    It's not far off, they are testing it now behind the scenes.

https://www.coindesk.com/ethereum-soon-launch-first-casper-testnet/

4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    That... sounds really weird. I'll look further into it. Thanks.
    Their prices include taxes, we pay another 13% including on top of the shipping cost which is taxed as well, and again, it's all relative. If you think their prices are fair check out their US prices for the same items. Half the time they're nowhere near the same.

5. msroadkill612

msroadkill612 Active Member

GPU:
    igp
    The fundamental question re these crypto mining generated shortages seems to be:

"does mining benefit much from ram?"

Intuitively I would think not. Its doing tough math on a limited data set? A clue is I hear many miners use even as few as 4x pcie3 lanes per gpu, which indicates limited IO of data to the gpu.

I suspect miners are buying 8GB cards when all they want, is the powerful gpu & nominal ram.

IMO, many more gpu cores could be produced and sold, but for the shortage of ram.

If so, why not 2GB Vega 64 e.g.?

Even if 2GB is underweight, does mining really require all ram to be superfast gpu ram? There are ways of extending gpu cache using cheaper system ram and nvme storage.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  6. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    FYI, Ethereum mining is heavily dependent on memory. Mining software typically loads the DAG into memory, and the size is continually growing (you need at least a 3 GB card now, and 4 GB will be the minimum before too long). The latency and clock speed of the memory also matters greatly so having a large amount of very fast RAM is mandatory for a good mining GPU.

airbud7 likes this.
  7. maddog55

maddog55 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 G PLUS
  8. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    And potato chips are no longer .50 cents either.

Aura89 likes this.
  9. Aitortxo

Aitortxo Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080ti TRIO
    Always coming up with silly excuses to raise prices... this is getting old fast!

10. msroadkill612

msroadkill612 Active Member

GPU:
    igp
    Ta for the response. You dont really say why tho.

even 4gb is half what one must buy in an 8gb only (so far) vega card or 1080. In theory this allows double the number of gpuS to be sold to miners with the same amount of scarce ram.

There has been talk of special mining models.

Is it absolute? Would 3x 2gb gpuS beat 1x 8gb gpu?

I assume there are mining "apps", and naturally they would orient themselves to the properties of mainstream gaming cards, which tend to big ram.

can you suggest any links or search terms?

11. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    Thank you im glad someone understands how canada works

12. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/

https://www.bestbuy.ca/

http://www.canadacomputers.com/

https://www.pc-canada.com/

And it doesn't stop there. Please don't pretend Canada is lacking in online electronics stores. Amazon and newegg are definitely not the only ones around.

Won't change anything, and anyone thinking that is good news is clearly showing how little they know about cryptocurrencies.

When/if etherium becomes unmineable, other cryptocurrencies will fill the gap. In fact, they already have.

For instance:

It's already, with a GTX 1080 ti anyways, more profitable to mine 26 other coins then Etherium.

And with a Vega56 there are 8 more profitable coins to mine.

Now, you may say, 8 isn't a lot, not like Nvidia. Sure, but i didn't say the difference. In both of those scenarios, mining Etherium is around $4.50 in profit per day. Whereas, if you go to the top 3 coins, for either the GTX 1080 ti or Vega56, you're looking at around $7 per day in profits.

So this idea that Ethereum going away from GPU mining will have any impact on GPU mining, you guys really need to get your heads out of your ass and actually know what you're talking about before you talk or make opinions about it.

Just so everyone is aware, incase you think that maybe bitcoin, litecoin, bitcoin cash, and ethereum are the only cryptocurrencies out there (maybe i just listed more then you thought existed already): There are over 1300 different cryptocurrencies. Obviously, most are worthless, many have been abandoned (but still exist and most of the time can still be mined and change in value even if the developers have abandoned it) but not all has, and quite literally, any one of them, even if worthless now, could spike in value tomorrow, and cause another gold rush.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  13. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Oh, is that the website he was talking about? Interesting, though that doesn't exactly say they will absolutely be gone. If i'm not mistaken, bankruptcy does not necessarily mean the end of a company.

If they do though, i won't be surprised. At the very least, ncixus.com has had horrible, horrible customer service. I once ordered something from them, the warehouse they shipped it from was a city away from me, and it took 3 weeks to get to me. Their reasoning? "Sorry we don't have control over that, your product is there and has been the whole time, but we do not control when they ship it out"

What i also find strange is, the US website:

https://www.ncixus.com/

no longer works, but the Canadian website

https://www.ncix.com/

Does, yet also i'm seeing they supposedly no longer take orders? If that's true i don't understand why their website is still up with prices and everything...

14. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    That's crazy.

15. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    A few more Canadian stores.

1c2c - PC Parts at Best Online Computer Shop
    A-Power - Canada's Best Computer Store
    Amazon Canada
    ATIC Computers
    Ameublements Tanguay - Buy Computer Parts, Computer Hardware, PC Parts at Best Online Computer Shop
    BCOM - Best Computer Store, Online, and Repair Service Depot
    Bedirect canada - Computer Parts
    Best Buy Canada -Computers, Televisions, Video Games & Cameras
    BestDirect.ca - Canada's Technology Source
    BTEcomputer online Store - Home page - We Ship Worldwide.
    Canada Computers - Computers, Computer Parts, Laptops, Hard Drives, PC Hardware & Accessories Sales
    CDW Canada - IT Products and Services for Business and the Public Sector
    Cendirect - Canada's Online Computer Store
    Centrehifi - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptops, Notebooks, Cameras, Home Electronics and more!
    Compu2000 - Your One Stop Mac Store
    Computer Rack - Calgary's Top Computer Parts Supplier - Canada Sales & Service
    Computer Valley - Online Computer Store - Computer Parts
    Costco computers-canada
    Dell Official Site | Dell Canada
    DirectCanada - Buy Computer Parts, Computer Hardware, PC Parts at Best Online Computer Shop
    DirectDial - Printers, Scanners, Toner, Monitors, Projectors & More
    Elcosystems Canada - Online Computer Store, Best Deals on Computer, Laptops, PC Parts
    Extreme PC - Computer Parts
    Fortune Computers - Computer Store | Computer Parts, Laptops, PC, Tablet & Accessories Sales & Computer Repairs Service
    FrontierPC - Canadian Computer Store Fast same day Shipping
    Infonec Computers - Computer parts Canada, PC Components, laptop computers, motherboards, processors, CPUs and much more
    Infounik - Computer Parts, Computer Components, low price computer
    Insight Canada - Computer Products, Laptops, Electronics, HDTVs, Digital Cameras, Cellphones and More!
    Itfactory - Computer parts Canada, PC Components, laptop computers, motherboards, processors, CPUs and much more
    Londondrugs - Free shipping on orders over $75
    Lucomputers - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptops, Notebooks, Cameras
    Megacomputer Canada -Canada wide shipping starting from $9.99
    Memorydepot.com - Computer Storage: USB, SATA, & IDE Disks on Module
    Memory Express - Inc. - Computer Parts & Laptop Computers in Canada
    Microbytes - Computer Parts
    Microcad- Computer Parts
    Mikescomputershop - Computer Parts & Laptop Computers in Canada
    Myteknology - Computer Parts
    Newegg Canada - Computer Products, Laptops, Electronics, HDTVs, Digital Cameras, Cellphones and More!
    PC CANADA - Welcome to the Original and Highly Rated All-Canadian WebStore
    PCV Online - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptops, Notebooks, Cameras, Home Electronics and more!
    Pcczone - Custom Gaming PC Builder, Performance Computers, Parts - Buy in Canada
    Pipertech - Computers for gamers
    Powersonic - Powersonic Computer Store in Richmond BC with best price, best service, computer repair
    ShopRBC - Computers, Computer Parts, Computer Accessories, PC Components & Electronics
    Staples - Office Supplies, Technology, Ink & Much More
    Superiorcomputers - Computers, Computer Parts, Technology, Ink & Much More
    TigerDirect.ca - Computers, Computer Parts, Computer Components, Netbooks & Electronics
    Visions - Computer Parts | Video Card | Gaming Laptops | Hard Drive | Motherboard | POS | Wireless router | Android Tablet | LCD monitor | Desktop PC |
    Vuugo - Computer Parts | Video Card | Gaming Laptops | Hard Drive | Motherboard | POS | Wireless router | Android Tablet | LCD monitor | Desktop PC |
    Wintronic Computers - Laptop and Computer Cell phones Hardware Sales and Service Best Prices Guaranteed

Compare prices-Search & Compare Canada Online Store Prices Before You Buy
    Pcpartspicker
    PriceBat
    Shopbot

16. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    As I mentioned before, the DAG needs to fit inside the memory, and it is continually growing. Miners buy 8 GB cards to be future-proof.

17. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Best Buy is not really a PC shop here, they may or may not have some parts occasionally. CC LOL, look at their GPU prices, ever, not just now during this mining craze. Never heard of PC Canada, they don't appear to have a physical store, and Tiger Direct is dead nonsense, try assembling a PC from what they offer and see what happens. In fact, try it with any of those you listed.

So no, they're not literally the only options, I obviously didn't mean it literally. They're the only semi-almost-sane options, or in many cases the only places you can get the parts you need.
    Great, go shop there, let me know how that goes. I'm sure Best Buy and Dell are going to sell me those motherboards, RAM, and CPU I need.

Btw, a bunch of those are the same company. Such as Dell being... Dell. And many of those companies were NCIX and are dead now.

Don't worry, I'm sure the ones which lead to 404s since they're companies that haven't existed for years will be more helpful, especially the Mac one. The others which don't have functional sites, nothing to worry about, buy some $900 GTX 1050s from them.

Edit: I stand corrected. There may be viable shop out of that list that actually has stock of stuff as possibly sellable prices and ships.

18. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I don't really disagree with that since it's really not a PC shop here either, they are generally too expensive, past MSRP, even when GPU mining/inflation of GPUs were not happening. That being said, technically, you can buy PC parts from them.

19. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I'm aware. But I'm obviously talking about legit computer shops you can buy the parts you need from. The only computer related thing in my life I've bought from Best Buy is a keyboard. And it wasn't even until recently that they started bringing in random video cards

I looked through the giant list the guy posted, and the ones which aren't 404s or dead companies are dubious at best with useless inventories and/or pricing. Canada Computers is semi-viable assuming you buy your GPU elsewhere. But it will come at a premium cost, especially since they don't match anyone but NCIX/Direct Canada/Hundred other names all the same company/ and they're dead. Memory Express seems possibly viable as well, I've only seen bad prices, but it's something. So there's that I guess, no one's heard of them, they obviously have no stores here, but hey if they actually sell components that's something.

Thanks for the list... I think?

20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Talking about mining... It can really come to sudden end and hard crash of its market.
    Since cryptos do not have any real property, they have only "desire" value. And that is made of reasons why people want to own such currency:
    - Making Anonymous financial transactions (pick your reason)
    - Not trusting their primary currency (paranoid)
    - Expecting to realize profit by selling it later (creating economic bubble)

Now, anonymity. Only minimum of actual users consider that as needful. Even less do not trust their government(bank) issued money to point that they'll think its value will tank to nothing thanks to some hyperinflation.
    But extremely large number of people dealing in any way with crypto of any kind expect profit. They expect easy effortless money in return.
    That makes External value of cryptos Purely driven by Supply/Demand.

But since demand based on desire for easy profit is reason for spike in value of cryptos. Moment those people see reason to sell it in volume is moment it will all crash.
    At some point there will be saturation of what are people willing to pay per unit.
    At that point all those who got it purely for greed will try to sell. Who's going to buy at that point? (Since demand at given price was already saturated.)
    Price goes down, panic level goes up. Pressure rises...

One crashes and trust which is reason for this spike in value goes away for all.

I write it from perspective of someone who is advocating against this blind devotion. I know some otherwise very intelligent people who spell unsubstantiated beliefs about almost magical properties of cryptos that they may be down right imbeciles.

I always say: "If you want to get some money from it. Invest that what you are willing to throw away from window. Once value goes up a bit, sell all. At that point you realized profit. And do not buy it again till you have actual use for it."