Windows 10 CPU Bug Fix Patch Benchmarks

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    With everything that has been going on ever since yesterday in regards to the processor bug and the acclaimed up-to 30% performance drops, we decided to grab the new Microsoft patch, install it and tr...

Windows 10 CPU Bug Fix Patch Benchmarks

airbud7, lmimmfn, blitz72 and 6 others like this.
  2. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Thank you for your testing and findings Hilbert. I tested on my Ryzen 1700x / Asus CH VII Hero / Crucial MX300 1TB ssd and i found a big hit in performance in writes and to a lesser extent reads are also affected on my configuration ( Ran Crystal Disk , AS SSD , ATTO and Anvil ). Same PC as yesterday before the patch just tested today with the patch. Trimmed , clean w10 , ran optimized tool between benchmarks and i could not achieve the same scores as yesterday.

Perhaps AMD Ryzen systems are affected in a different way or it might be due to my configuration. But the degradation in performance it is there in the storage department.

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Thanks a lot! Not bad then, chispy is this in line with your SSD benches or did you see bigger hits?

chispy likes this.
  4. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It seems on Ryzen systems the performance hit it's bigger than on intel , need to do much more testing. But same as Hilbert findings Storage performance it is where it is more pronounced this performance degradation.

Now let's hope AMD can work with Microsoft to make a new patch to exclude AMD cpu's from this BS and get back our performance. Linux users have already a patch available that excludes them from this performance degradation.

Here: Patch to exclude AMD hit the Linux kernel 5 or 6 hours ago. https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linu.../?id=00a5ae218d57741088068799b810416ac249a9ce

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I am still doing some NVMe tests on another system as I had an issue with the Samsung 960 pre and post patch results. Will update once the numbers are done.

airbud7, Turanis and chispy like this.
  6. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Good to know,but will be better to test on normal SSD.You know,without fancy wheels like Optane,Nvme.
    Not many users have Nvme and the speed on that is already "astronomical".

7. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    NVMe is MUCH heavier on file IO as it is 4 to 6 times faster. So any problem would be better visualized.

However, i have not patched the 2nd test system yet so will run a regular SSD before patching as well.

airbud7, Embra, lmimmfn and 1 other person like this.
  8. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Good stuff boss.

9. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    I really hope the older CPUs don't get much more affected than the new ones. i5 2500 CPUs are pushed pretty hard in today's games, and for people still not needing more than a Core 2 Quad or i5 750, even a 10% performance drop would be noticed.

10. KayserKay

KayserKay Member

GPU:
    Palit Super JS GTX 1070
    No Problems here with an Oldie (but Goldie) i5 4460 and GTX 1070.

Tested some heavy on the CPU, realtime physics based games: BeamNG Drive, EuroTruck Simulator 2 and ATS, City Car Driving...all on Utra and no unknown FPS drops!

Performance with Audiointerface and ASIO Driver: still rock solid, no dropouts!

11. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Looks like the AMD people cried wolf, but as always, good work and thank you for your benchmarks.

12. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Honestly, if this is it ... I very much doubt you'd even notice. My 8700K setup also shows similar (near NIL) differences. File IO remains something to be checked out though. Still checking and running benchmarks. Will update in the next hour or so.

13. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    The wolves are gonna be in cluster virtual machine environments, not for +/- 2% on futuremark.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    That's a rather large generalization there. As an "AMD person", I stated more than once that the performance impact would be largely unnoticeable for consumers.

I greatly appreciate you proving my previous statements in regards to the performance impact to be accurate. I think I'll be holding off on patching my 2 AMD systems for now, though I will be patching all 4 of my Intel based systems in the coming days.

15. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    Already installed, waiting for something to blow up lol

16. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Nice to see Hilbert already posting some benchies about the patch. But i have to say i´m surprised with the results after all the talk that performance would tank and the difference is around 2% in the end... Did people overblown the issue or should we wait for further updates/patches that may cripple the performance severely???

Thanks for the quick nice work Hilbert!

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    im sorry but those test before and after look like there within "margin" of error and are nothing most people will ever notice, another thing made to look worse then it acutal is?, the actual security hole is actual bad like really bad, and considering I used VM for the purpose to doing things that may or may not result in malware/virus that i dont want on my system this flaw make me worried then again I been doing this VM thing for years now think i was fine.

Personally I was hoping these fixes could be done threw say MB FW updates, which i would think would minimize performance hits more then it being done by OS, but HW changes need to happen to plug it from hw stand point? which means $$$ for intel cause people will still buy intel, I know i will, i just wont be making new PC anytime soon, I already kinda miffed by the fact year and half after i got my 6700k I could got 8700k with 6core/12t and same ghz and same STP for same price. which has the same flaw anyway. maybe in 3/4 years time this flaw will be shorted out and fixed hw wise and 8c/16t will be the normal with the same or BETTER stp, yes stp still important to me more so then mtp which will probably have different security flaw that in it hw that would need sw/fw patch to fix that might hurt performance that will need new hw change meaning more $$$ for intel, none these "issue" would be much of a issue if they would not be made known to the world, then ever bad person with know how will try and exploit things thing vs just few that know about.

Security flaws should be reported yes and they should be fix, but they should NOT be made public and made worldwide knowledge. that is like governments say to the world hey our nuclear plants and stock pile of weapons and other vital stuff are unprotected and located here are desings and even info on what security and flaws we have come get us... and in world were cyber threat is just as bad real world why would people make such thing public knowledge. Now tell said people that response able for the flaw and fixing to fix it they have till so and so time to do so or this info will be released world if they don't fix it is another story, even then i dont think it should be done for the above reason, but all these "flaws" seem to get release in wild regardless now cause FB/Twitter and everything else cause people want there spot in lime light. regardless of info the releasing what damage it can cause, social media sites imo are one worst things happen, when comes to stuff like this.

18. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    THANKS for posting this HH, nice read!!!

19. foxx1337

foxx1337 Guest

GPU:
    MSI Vega 56 AB OC
    So I only performed one test on my system, and I would say that I get like 10% worse performance.

Core i7 2600K at 4 GHz, samsung 850 EVO ssd. The test is, in a ConEmu terminal under Windows, under Bash (from git-bash), I type this:
    Weasis compilation:
    Before patch: 53 seconds
    After the patch: 1 minute, 5 seconds (so 65 seconds)

Weasis is a Java viewer for X-Ray, CT-scan and CAT-scan file formats. This ConEmu + MinGW + bash + Maven + javac scenario probably touches quite a few different aspects of the operating system, from file access, to lookup, writes, compilation, the (few) Weasis tests, etc. I tested by restarting the computer, opening ConEmu and running the clean + install cycle 5-6 times until it stabilized.

20. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    File IO tests have been updated, a SATA SSD was added as well. I am not seeing anything that worries me.

chispy, user1, anxious_f0x and 2 others like this.