Kernel memory leaking' Intel processor design flaw forces Linux, Windows redesign

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by zero_cool, Jan 2, 2018.

1. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    With so many generations of CPUs affected and so much potential access it will be worth the R&D to generate exploits for this.

Not in this case. If this was a current gen CPU bug only I would be willing to bet we would be seeing UEFI updates rolling out instead of a windows update but since there is no way in hell to address BIOS/UEFI going back for a decade or so the only option is an OS patch.

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

There will no doubt be lot of new reviews of key CPU's against pre patch and Ryzen. Keep in mind that for Ryzen it's pre-major AGESA update and the Zen update.

Intel will likely have to fix the flawed hardware then release a refresh. This will take time, but they'll basically just be re-releasing Coffee Lake and touting it as a new processor with 20 percent (for example) gain in performance!

__hollywood|meo likes this.
  3. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    Don't give them funny ideas.

Jackalito, Silva and Alessio1989 like this.
  4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I think MS must patch 7 since its probably still the most used OS. They even patched XP last year (for wannacry), even though its hardly in use anymore. When it comes to security, they know that even obsolete systems can be used by malware to spread itself to other more up-to-date systems if unprotected.

Rich_Guy likes this.

5. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I just finished reading all the articles about this intel procesor design flaw on the net. The problem is way bigger than i expected :/

6. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    I'd be willing to bet that we will see XP on up patched. They have to patch XP POS anyway so there is no reason to make this exclusive to that build since they are virtually identical.

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
  8. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Waiting for virtualization scenarios benchmarks.

9. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Not to diminish the seriousness of this issue, but this is more like why Windows sees more viruses than other operating systems. Intel has a larger install base. Therefore more time will be spent on trying to poke holes in Intel's implementations. What kind of effort was expended to trace a commonality that goes back several generations? This was only a matter of time and look how long it took. It would be more serious and more worthy of such this "sky is falling" attitude if the commonality was associated with the basic x86 design that Intel licenses. So in reality, this is serious but more along the lines of how to generate web traffic while still keeping the nature of the issue intact. Errata happens all the time. This just happens to be one that was not discovered in time to allow for a cheap solution, simple bios fix. Going forward, that is all this will amount to. Intel did this to themselves by generating so many chipsets. Otherwise a bios fix would have been feasible in regards to cost. Cheapest way to fix this now is for Microsoft to implement the patch.

10. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    I wonder what this will do to the Intel road map.

11. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I guess Intel started 2018 with a loud bang :D
    If AMD doesn't screw Ryzen+ lunch, they have the opportunity to really make a difference on the market share.

12. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    not like this. this is a "what is your major malfunction" r lee ermey moment for intel. physical design flaw that they missed for generations of production...its being publicized now, but private parties could have been abusing this attack vector for years.

13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I understand that we are all experts here, but if there are any OS kernel team participants lets hear their explanations. If there are none then we should wait for a detailed description of the flaw and the fix. We are all speculating right now.

As for mandatory apply of a security fixes, I was just giving the example of logic to not install them (or not all of them) - kinda if my rig works I am fine.
    And If you think that security fixes should be installed without asking user to do it then you should approve upgrade to newer OS without asking user - assuming newer OS is always more secure than old one.

AsiJu likes this.
  14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  15. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yeah i got the wannacry one manually :)

Thanks, will keep a checking it, once the patch is out :)

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Rich_Guy likes this.
  17. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Well it seems that AMD cpus won't be affected by the patch ,the modifications to skip AMD for the patch are in, on a newest version of the Kernel...

Sources: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tip/tip.git/log/?h=x86/pti / https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/c...amds_request_to_be_excluded_from_the/ds42kks/

" x86/cpu, x86/pti: Do not enable PTI on AMD processors "

" This will be merged in 4.14.12 and 4.15rc7 the patch already got reviewed by a third party (from openSUSE) that has access to the cve ("security bugtracker"). There is no need to worry for AMD CPUs by this."

Elder III and Jackalito like this.
  18. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    That will not be forthcoming. There is a reason why the Linux team who worked on the fix redacted the comments - it's to prevent potential attackers from knowing the exact weakness.

Your logic doesn't make sense. It's like not buying house insurance because your house is currently not on fire. The point of these security patches is to prevent an attack, not to deal with the aftermath of one.

airbud7, Jackalito and Alessio1989 like this.
  19. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
  20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    And are citizens forced to buy insurance or they can decide? Ain`t that logic called "freedom"?
    You can rebuild house but without insurance it will cost you more. But after attack I can reinstall OS and apply fix to prevent second attack just with cost of time.