Steam Hardware Survey: Windows 7 and GeForce GTX 1060 Lead the Pack

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Prefix

Prefix Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R7 260X 2GB
    This is wrong look at region its all Chinese bots with 500 steam installs cheating in PubG.

3. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    Hopefully now AMD cpu's make a comeback.
    And anyone know if this survey takes into account smt so when they say most people are using a quad core are alot of this really just dual cores with smt?

4. EyeofAC

EyeofAC Guest

GPU:
    GTX1060/6GB
    GTX1060@1080p all day long. A new display AND a gpu for that 1440p? I call it mad consumerism...

5. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    The stats are not wrong... its just Chinese people are now also in the mix. It's a better worldwide representation of figures rather than mainly looking at just the western world.

These figures least in the gaming world, really do show how little AMD has sold on that front. They are keeping afloat on people using them for mining rather than gaming. once that bubble bursts if it bursts or last dies down AMD won't be doing so good again on the GPU front

Well the more expensive the PC the rarer it is, think for the last couple of years the 60/70 models have been the most dominant GPU owned by people, makes me happy people spend their money wisely on the best bang for the buck... then again people are also using the intel HD 4000 then i worry again.

I think it only takes into account real physical cores, least on intel side. i don't know if that would be the same with ryzen since if does work a little differently. But quad cores being used the most would make the most sense. it also shows a big jump in 6 cores (8700k and 1600x) were big sellers so i don't think SMT does get taken into account, just the physical cores.

mikev190 likes this.
  6. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    So true - go down the pub and ask who has a 8 core cpu with a £300 - £800 gpu! Probably get a bottle over the head for taking the piss :D

AsiJu and mikev190 like this.
  7. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Chinese dropped from 64.35 to 49.04 in a month... A similar statistic crap applies to Windows version too. Last month the GTX 750TI was like the only GPU present on the earth. etc etc...
    The random pikes in the graphs also suggest the criteria used to take the survey data are bad. Most of the data comes from new installations and they do not represent a randomized quota all steam users. Just do not look at steam hardware survey, they never been a good representation of the gaming rigs.

8. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    :)... "chinese simplified" and W7... yes it fit well to each other.

9. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    It's not hard to understand why Chinese is the single largest language group present, but why is it simplified Chinese? Isn't simplified [language X] basically meant for foreign students of the said language? I recall the first English novel I read back as an elementary schooler was The Invisible Man in simplified English.

10. Jay_M

Jay_M Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 480
    HI guys, even though I have been a reader for several years, this made me register. I have always had at least
    3 PCs in the house. 1 for old folks, a middle performance PC w/ mid/lo perf Graphics card. Then I had my gamer
    which was usually pretty nice for the 1st couple of years & lastly I had the old gaming machine.

Well I had Steam on all 3 of these in order to play anywhere or anytime I wanted to. So I swear to all that matters the only time steam ever goes to H/W survey is when I am on a 10 year old dual core Athlon. These dual core PC's have been around since they were new. SInce then, I have gotten A Phenom II 965, FX 8350 and Ryzen R5 1600X. Not once has Steam Hardware "gone off" w/ any of these newer machines. But just a few weeks ago it went off again when I was on 80+ yo Dads 2.5 gig Dual core Athlon w/6 gig o RAM & no SSD.

I tried using the 965 the 8350 & the Ryzen & go to the Steam H/w page but it does not seem to count my machines even though Steam is loaded. It really does look like the info provided is deliberately showing trying to show older models or it is just Ignoring AMD as hard as it can, thought non of the reasons I can think of make any sense at all.

Anyway any 1 else with mutli PCs have the best onse ignored by steam? I swear since like 2010 the 965 and newer, the only thing the gets surveyed is a 10 yo dual core!!

11. No, simplified Chinese does not mean what you think it means. A quick google search will answer your questions.

12. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    it's because in china there is not one chinese language, but many.
    "simplified" mean that everyone can read and type it, it's more a standardisation.

Kaarme likes this.
  13. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    FullHD is not suprising since many people want 144 Hz rather than QHD. Both at the same time is too expensive. GTX 1060 6 GB is a killer card: always silent, high amount of VRAM and doesn't require much power, so in many cases you don't have to worry about PSU upgrade. I'm pretty sure AMD CPU users are more common, but many Ryzen owners just haven't submitted their specs yet on Steam and many of Ryzen owners probably bought their CPU in November when they were really cheap.

I really like to read this statistics. I'm always very curious what hardware my mates and people I know have inside their PCs. It doesn't matter what there is, it is just fun to know.

14. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    People always seem to forget the Steam Survey is *voluntary*--if you don't voluntarily take the survey--you are not counted. Therefore, the Steam survey is not, nor has it ever been, absolute numbers of some kind, even as to Steam members. Not even close, really. I haven't taken a Steam survey in *years*--it simply isn't important to me. Why do you think they call it "survey" in the first place? People looking for absolute numbers need to look again because the Steam Survey does not supply them. Look at it like all of those polls giving Hillary Clinton 85% odds of beating Trump--when the reality was the reverse. Always keep in mind that polls of any kind are attempts to manipulate public opinion--that'd be yours or mine, in this case. Always buy what you personally like and prefer--not what some third party tries to tell you "other people" are buying...;) Ugh. Who would want to shop like that? Much more is routinely made of the "Steam Survey" than is either desirable or profitable, imo. IE, take it with a large grain of salt. --I mean, if more people say they are going to follow each other off the cliff, does that make falling to your death more attractive, somehow? "Look, he did it!" I think not. Lemmings are not intelligent by nature, it must never be forgotten. Beware of psychological spins that try to make you into "just another lemming"...!

pegasus1 likes this.
  15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I think most people (well Steam users anyway) know that the Steam survey does not represent an exact snapshot of the userbase, but it's the best we have.

No idea how the psychological spin stuff is relevant, unless you're suggesting Valve just makes it all up.

16. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @EyeofAC
    you do know not everyone plays the same and/or the newest games?
    or you wanna tell me that minecraft @QHD needs a 1080ti?

i have an almost "pro grade" screen with 32"@1440p (400$) and can run almost everything (BF4/MW3/HAWX 2/F1 etc) at 1440p with a gtx1060/3gb (200$).
    games that require more HP (crappy coded stuff like Siege) will run fine at 1080p, which then doesnt need any AA (as you get a similar effect from running non-native res).

@Khronikos
    code thats exclusive for consoles, means it wont run on a pc, so point is mute.
    unless you meant to say console ports, which then still isnt a fair comparison, as a pc "exclusive" game wont run as good on the consoles as well.

17. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    Relax. The only thing I care about is the hardware that I have. Everyone knows that polls are limited only to those surveyed. That's what a poll is. Survey's in general are actually a good thing. You benefit from it more than you may realize.

pegasus1 likes this.
  18. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Until recently, I didn't even know Steam surveys were a thing. The only instance that I can remember is when I installed Steam on my old 4790K for testing purposes, which I found ironic since it used to be my gaming rig shortly before that point (I naturally declined, as I didn't want to give false impressions). I really wish Valve would just collect data directly from their installed users (with an option to opt out, of course).

19. Brit90

Brit90 Member Guru

GPU:
    R390X 8GB
    Personally, I think the AMD "problem" is not that it is declining, it is because AMD GPU's are all being used in Mining, which of course, has nothing to do with Gaming and Steam.

Bringing China into the statistics skews the statistics, in the way things are. China is a relatively poor area in the World, with regards to the West. So it stands to reason that the more affordable - just do - hardware is used. Since, no one can buy AMD GPU's for love or money, it stands to reason it would show a decline. If the Rx570-580 were available at the Original RRP - I am sure AMD would be shown in a better light. If you can view the stats by country (I have not tried looking) I think their would be a big difference from the Majority Stats, which are shown here.

20. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    It's the second largest capitalism in the world already, after the USA. It has the second largest number of billionaires per country in the world, again after the USA. With its huge population, if we are talking about simply relatively wealthy people (because you don't actually need to be absolutely rich to afford decent computer components), I imagine China easily has much more such people than the whole population of my home country. China today isn't the same as China decades ago. It doesn't matter if a good chunk of people living in the underdeveloped rural areas probably aren't looking for brand new PC components, there are lots and lots of people living in their big cities that are enjoying modern life the same as people in the Western countries (aside from some immaterial things).

Yeah, I knew about the language differences, but not that they chose such an interesting word to describe a standardisation effort. Thanks for the info.