AMD Adrenalin Driver Has Issues With Older DX9 Games

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Last month AMD moved their driver suite upwards towards the new Adrenalin drivers which offer some really nice new features and updates. However the new drivers triggered issues with older DX9 games,...

AMD Adrenalin Driver Has Issues With Older DX9 Games

Keitosha and warlord like this.
  2. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    17.12.2 too.

So we are supposed to believe AMD GPUs performance is better as they get older due to driver improvement and then AMD drop support for older games in these same improved drivers?

"Good" job AMD, your driver team makes Nvidia PR easier:

:D

BTW I tried to launch TW1 enhanced edition in Windows 10 updated (OS and drivers) with AMD driver 17.12.2:

[​IMG]

And the result is...:

[​IMG]

Keitosha and warlord like this.
  3. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    The AMD customer support in his official forums (via his own reps) is impressive.

The exact first post from AMD rep on that thread is:

https://community.amd.com/message/2839053#comment-2839053

100% BS proved simply by November 2017 AMD GPU drivers use (or any older than december 2017 drivers)...and Nvidia GPU gamers. LOL

His second and closing thread reply was:

CASE CLOSED!

airbud7, warlord and Keitosha like this.
  4. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    That explains why I couldn't start some older DX9 JRPG's within my Steam list. 17.11.4 works fine running Reccetear and TW1:EE, 17.12.2 not even starting. So I must be happy also having a green card in my system in order to run DX9 titles. :)

warlord likes this.

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Paying Premium for Nvidia pays off =]

6. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    This is one of the reasons why I'm going green when Volta arrives.

Keitosha, airbud7 and warlord like this.
  7. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    What!? I can't play one of my all time favorite like witcher EE? screw AMD! with what excuse they force stopping us play games they can't optimize in their trash driver ecosystem!?

Well that was the end even if fanboys like Agonist and others telling me I am a green faggot. I have paid all 3 witcher games TWICE steam and non steam because I love the series. Now I am unable to play the first one. This is the end for me they can shut down.

My next PC is gonna be intel and nvidia powered. AMD is not authorized to be called a part of PC master race. I ban and cast them into oblivion. They are nonprofessionals with attitude.

Keitosha likes this.
  8. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    just about GOG that doesn't start:
    it work fine with latest version of GOG Galaxy, older doesn't work.

Tested on a I3+H81+RX480+latest AMD driver

Downloaded latest GOG Galaxy solve it.

For the game i don't know. :)

9. dean469

dean469 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX480GTR @1385
    I wonder if you can drop an older .dll file in the exe folder and make it work.

10. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    AMD Software support is a joke.

AMD needs to get out of the consumer GPU market since all they care about is embedded stuff.

Actually AMD needs to sell off Radeon to someone who can afford to hire some real software people.

11. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    You forgot mining. They even rebranded Vega FE as a mining card. AMD is only for APU and mining. Their gaming and HTPC era is over.

Keitosha likes this.
  12. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Thanks for the info!

GOG connect program adds some games you own on Steam to your GOG Galaxy account, TW1 and TW2 are included.

So anybody owning TW1 on Steam can play it on GOG fine even using latest AMD GPU drivers simply "connecting" his Steam account with his GOG Galaxy account without buying the game again.

Keitosha likes this.
  13. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
  14. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
  15. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I mean... i dont know about anyone else but i quite often play older games that i enjoyed when i was younger to experience it all again.

Who would be able to buy something like that off? Apple? Samsung maybe... only a few companies in the world could have the money and investment to want to deal with competition from Intel and Nvidia.

Not to mention looking at the new Steam stats today, AMD are doing terrible in the eastern world, maybe doing better in the west, but over there in a much bigger market they are getting destroyed.

airbud7 and warlord like this.

16. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    @Ricepudding Exactly. Many of us quite often play beloved and favorite games of our past. Nowadays with stronger systems we can play them once again further improved. That's called a gamer. Pure one, not seasonal. Seasonal gamers are those who only play each year's games only and they are minority. Each software and/or hardware company should respect our money. We have paid these old games sometime in the past, we own them.

AMD is losing marketshare with their mistakes. Some friends of mine went green, I stay red and I regret it day by day. It is not about who is the cheapest or fastest. It is also about customer/product support. Nvidia/Intel are both superior to AMD in every aspect. Performance and customer satisfaction. If you carefully make a research, users once bought AMD almost never bought again anything related. They have returned to blue/green camp.

Keitosha likes this.
  17. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    The last red card i owned (HD5970) was when they were still ATi, and even back then their drivers were trash.

I've been back with Nvidia since the GTX580, and havn't experienced any game breaking issues with them since.

18. HK-1

HK-1 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580 Power Color
    hmm for me look strange, none issues with Adrenalin drivers related to old games at least what I love for example: Formula 1 - 2008/2009/2010/2015, Moto Racer 4, Moto GP 17, Valentino Rossi, MTX vs ATV Supercross, NFS Most wanted, Carbon, Hot Pursuit, MTX MotoTRAX and more and using W10 PRO 1709 modified and 2016 LTSC modified all works like a charm :D

19. Reqruiz

Reqruiz Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse
    I can confirm that The Witcher is crashing to desktop with Adrenalin drivers and works just fine with Crimson. And I'm using Win7 so this is not Win10 fault.

That answer and attitude are unacceptable but I won't go crazy and be such a drama queen as some people. I won't go green because one minor issue with newest drivers. Just relax, wait and see what AMD is going to do with it. Remember there is no official statement just one answer from some AMD's support employee.

I sent ticket about this issue, maybe if they get many tickets they gonna fix this soon.

Keitosha likes this.
  20. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Some of the most popular PC games out there are on this list. If AMD doesn't address this issue, they are done.

RzrTrek likes this.