Core i3 8130U (Kaby Lake-R) won't get four cores but does get a turbo

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  2. Exciting stuff.....

rl66 likes this.
  3. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Nice W... too bad it's not 4 real core when Atom have 4 core, but Atom seem more expensive and more for server.

4. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    This seems to be more about power than anything, guess it would depend if someone wants a higher clocked dual core or a lower clocked quad core.

Atom tend to be lower clock speeds too dont they?

rl66 likes this.

5. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    3.4 turbo...that's fast for a laptop/ nice.
    throw in a ssd and Zoom!

6. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    Unacceptable. Laptop, mobile telephone or whatever, dual core is simply the thing of the past. Greedy bastards want to shrink what they sell to you, and even at a higher price. Intel seems to be touching the bottom of the gutter, in terms of decency/fair play towards their customers. But what really makes me sad is the response of the people - interesting how people will readily swallow just about anything and everything they're served with. Resignation of the "OK, could have been even worse than this, at least they let us breathe, for the time being" type.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  7. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    While this CPU is good and all with 3.4GHZ turbo core but why waste money on a laptop with those Kaby Lake -R cpus when Coffee Lake is out and Coffee Lake has true Quad Core i3s in the laptop market. Makes no sense. I think Intel has the same mindset as Nvidia with the GTX 1060 5GB.

8. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    I'm very happy with the 5250u in my laptop, 2 cores is plenty for the majority of users.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Most of the people that end up with these processors are people like me that are simply looking for a cheap laptop that can browse the web and check e-mail. They're not looking for gaming systems or productivity systems. For this purpose, a dual core with hyperthreading is perfectly fine. Not every activity requires a quad core processor.

I'm perfectly happy with my i3 380m and i3 7100u. Both serve their purposes flawlessly.
    How much processing power do you really need to browse forums on the internet and manage e-mail?

CrazY_Milojko and airbud7 like this.
  10. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    ^^^ this. For my needs laptops using 2c/4t Core i3 are more than powefull enough since first itteration of mobile Core i3 CPUs and I do prefer those Core i3 laptops without additional GPU: Intel HD is more than enough for my needs while using laptop: when I want more CPU/GPU power or to game I fire up some of my gaming desktops, ups, I don't game anymore so I just sit down next to one of my kids and watch them play :D Good thing about those Core i3 2c/4t CPU's is that they don't heat up much (those U gen versions almost none) and aren't power hungry. That being said laptop battery lasts significantly longer on these Core i3 compared to it's biger Core brothers.

This week I got for testing purposes one brand new HP Pavilion running Core i7-7700HQ, 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 (upgraded to 2x 8GB 2400), 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB HDD 7200rpm, GeForce GTX1050, 1080p screen.. and hands down this thing is blazing fast thanks to that beasty CPU and NVMe 256GB SSD but... But I hate it! Battery lasts between 2.5 and 3 hours doing usual stuff: browsing internet, music, movies... and doing the same at my 2 years old Core i3 laptop battery lasts at least 4.5, mostly 5 hours of constant use. Worst thing is that I can't remove battery from this damn HP 7700HQ laptop when I want to run it on AC without complete dissasemble it (not that complicated tho). Thanks but no thanks, I'm keeping my Core i3....

airbud7 likes this.

11. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Well as every one said not every Laptop CPU needs to be a quadcore CPU a dual core with 4 threads is plenty of power for watching YouTube and surfing the web. Among other things.
    I have an old HP laptop with a 1st generation dual core i7 with Linux mint installed and it runs like a champ. The only bottleneck of that PC would be having ony 6GB of RAM and getting access to the other RAM slot is not easy. With that laptop I was able to run 1080p videos @60 FPS just fine.

airbud7 likes this.
  12. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Yes around 1.95, they also have minimum graphic solution and memory limit... but it's 4 core and low powered CPU too.

I was wondering if the huge turbo mode of this I3 will be enough on Windows compared to a lower clocked 4 core's I3 that could have the same max "Wattage",
    I think it would have been usefull for entry level laptop.

13. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    There's Nothing "zoom" about two cores, no matter how fast they individually are.

Nope. I got an i7 dual-core in the 6000 family i believe and that sucker is slow for pretty much everything. Sure, it can do single tasks generally just fine, but once you start doing multiple tasks, that thing just dies in performance. Essentially, considering your PC these days are always doing multiple tasks, that means to you have to boot it up and wait awhile to actually feel like it's of any decent speed.

Dual-core is a thing of the past, and people trying to make excuses, like you are, for why they still exist, are the problem.

In regards to this CPU, i'd rather a quad-core @ 1.2Ghz max each then this hunk of junk.

14. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    and people trying to make excuses, like you are

Spot on, Aura. There is something in a human being, you might call it a "slavish" instinct, a readiness to comply with and to obey to the "authorities", to those who hold (or pretend to be holding) the power. That instinct of the poor who is afraid of getting even poorer if he does not flatter the riches, etc. That's why we have such world we live in: compromise after compromise, finding excuses for our cowardice, finding excuses for the bullies, until it all gets f**ked up one fine day... That's why we have this "I-am-mister-know-it-all-and-can-do-anyting-I-want-and-the-rest-of-you-better-shut-up" policy of Intel and m$oft for many years now, among the other things.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  15. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    That's strange. I remember having an i3-2100 (3.1GHz) and it handled just fine in multitasking (two different browser with open tabs, photoshop, illustrator alt-tabing copy paste etc). Your system must be bloated with junk or something, idk. :/ Have it checked. Perhaps you have facebook opened all the time. That bloatware is often the culprit of bad performance.

airbud7 likes this.

16. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    You have no idea what you are talking about. No one has claimed that they new it all. They are just posting from their personal experiences. Plus I see noone posting any excuses either. I see only troll postings like this one.

airbud7 likes this.
  17. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    apparently they only buy i7 Alienware laptops....the rest is junk.

But Hey!...I do have a quad core Chromebook!....:D

18. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    Fender, you don't have a clue, do you? "Mister-know-it-all..." is aimed at the companies who are bullying us and do not give a $$hit about public opinion, and produce what they want to produce using the monopolistic position and cartel-like strategies to apply pressure to the market/clients. That is Bill and his gang, that is sh_Intel and many others. They know BETTER than we do what is good for us, what we like or dislike, what we expect in return for our money...

19. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    You have no clue either because Bill had nothing to do with MS in years. Plus if you do not like what a company is doing then do not buy their stuff its that simple. People talk with their money at end of the day.

airbud7 likes this.
  20. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    One warning to everyone, cut the arguments. First and only warning. Back on topic.

airbud7 likes this.