Geforce driver 388.71 WHQL Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by norton, Dec 20, 2017.

1. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    For me I never had Chrome or FF crash because of GPU . only when the drivers which everyone had issues.

But first you need to find what is wrong overall. Does every single game works fine ? or do games crash too ?

Does Chrome crash also ? did you try WaterFox or Palemoon or any other FF modified version ? they have 64bit.

Did you change any setting in NVCP ? because last time I tried to enable Triple Buffering with Pre-Renderer with Need For Speed Rivals with 60 fps command I had stuttering that I never had, ever, and it was the first time I tried it, after disabling Triple buffering from NVCP and Pre-renderer back to NVidia default, I didn't have it. so make sure you are Default on everything and don't mess with settings.

Also what else do you have installed ? GPU Experience, Msi Afterburner ? Do you overclock anything ? does your Memory Compatible with your computer or you just started having issues with this driver specific ?

Do you have other drivers installed or software that you run with FF ? I mean there are so many complexions that happen because it does happen to you rarely you say and this is hard to follow up with changes.

2. PQED

PQED Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
    All other games work flawlessly, no crashes.

I've tried all of the browsers you mentioned, as well as Edge, Opera, and Vivaldi, but since browser crashes are so rare it's difficult to test for.

The only setting I've changed globally in NVCP is power management, which I've set to Adaptive rather than Optimal (since it causes some microstuttering for me). Though the crashes occur regardless of which setting I use, be it Optimal, Adaptive, or Max Performance.

Pre-rendered frames is set to 1 for most games (per profile, not globally) to improve input lag, but the crashes occur even if set to default. Firefox profile is all default.

I use MSI Afterburner/RTSS for OC:ing, frame limiting, and monitoring. Still crashes with them turned off.

CPU & GPU are both OC'd, but driver crashes happen even at stock. RAM works fine, and I've run Memtest86+ just to be sure.

As I mentioned these driver crashes started with specifically with 384, and though FF crashes a fewer than before, Phase Shift crashes just as often.
    To be clear, I have no crashes outside of the display driver crashes as seen in my system log (EventID 4101, nvlddmkm stopped responding), and only with the applications I've previously mentioned.

I do have a slew of other software running, but crashes occur even with everything turned off (used Phase Shift to test).

Other than reinstalling Windows, I've tried just about everything I can think of; but considering I can point to a specific nVidia driver where it all started, it just doesn't seem very likely to me that it would make a difference anyway.

3. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    No one have some big jumps randomly in LatencyMon with this drivers ? I didn't have issues with older drivers. I think it was 388.31 , or lower

with Wdf01000.sys file , that's it. that's the only big jump all the time. I tested everything .

4. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I personally use the developer edition of firefox. Mainly because I wanted to use quantum before it came out. Since then, I've continued to use it and never had any issues. Prior to that I was running cyberfox. People experiencing FF related issues should try out the developer edition.

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
  6. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    ^^Why picked Samsung monitor? o_O:eek:

7. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Umm, why not? Their monitors are ok...

-Tj- likes this.
  8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black

That was not the question.. ;)

9. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    1080p is horrible resolution for 27 inch. If you don't want gsync, Samsung C27HG70 is a better choice.

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    If you can give me extra money sure why not ;d

I know what Im getting and all its "flaws", but my main question is; is 144Hz now doable without issues @ desktop idle and by gaming..? any 144HZ users?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017

11. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Not sure, probably, but reports of such issues on various forums seem to come and go.
    This all varies on personal user preference and monitor quality. For example, we have a bunch of monitors around the house, including two 4K's, 1440p Acer 27' 144Hz G-Sync IPS monitor and a curved Samsung 27' 1080p 80Hz Freesync VA monitor. For a pure gaming perspective Gsync and 144Hz is a godsend, but disregard those and the Samsung curved monitor wins.

-Tj- likes this.
  12. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    No one have issues with dxgkrnl.sys DPC with the 388.59 + series ? I started to have issue since this driver. I think 388.31 worked fine, and I can't go any lower because PowerDVD 3D doesn't work any lower than 388.31.

13. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Have you noticed any problems in games, apps?

14. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    It's been a while since I've run the overhead test from 3D Mark. Last time I ran it, Vulkan had a significant lead over DX12, around 2 million more draw calls if I recall. But with these drivers, the DX12 performance has increased quite a bit and now it's practically on par with Vulkan:

[​IMG]

15. Abaddon

Abaddon Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon 6600
    Is anyone else experiencing black screens after the load-screen?
    With the older drivers everything was fine, but with the 388.71 i am having a lot of black screens at games likes Dishonored 2, Project Cars 2 and F1 2017.
    I am using EVGA Afterburner Utility, could it be an incompatibility with this utility or just a driver bug?

16. Vidik

Vidik Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming Z
    Completed Death of the Outsider on this driver set w/o any problems. Using MSI AfterBurner + RTSS. Try clean install and don't run utility in question?

17. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    This is what I get while changing resolutions from 4K to 1080p which is fine, it's only while changing resolution and not while playing anything. but still , the issue I had is that the Interrupt to process latency was going higher all the times , and also wdf01000.sys always liked to be above everything .

I did couple of things. I disabled AMD Gear Down and Power Down . I set T1 XMP 3200 , and I think what most fix the issue is Bcdedit /set disabledynamictick Yes. For now I played games , watched movies , and didn't have any stutter because of DPC

I just had random freezes for no matter at all, and also I had some weird BSOD's with memory management which I ONLY had after deleting Bcdedit /set disabledynamictick, ..... it's weird, it's like not using this command screw computers on left and right.

Anyway , this is the best without weird jumps, without random jumps , just things I did that made the driver wait and caused this high DPC. it did not happen randomly

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  18. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I'm sorry, but... wut?!?!?!

19. Abaddon

Abaddon Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon 6600
    Reverted back tot 388.51 and the problems dissapeared.
    I don't know what could be wrong, i will try the next driver when it will appear.

20. Minotaur

Minotaur Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 1080 GLH
    Just got my first black screen issue here as well with these drivers.

It happens loading SWBF2 (sigh I know lol), game loads but it goes to a black screen when it hits the game menu. When you alt-tab it flashes the hidden screen quickly, so you know it is there. The monitor also turns off with no signal when it goes to a black screen.

Never had trouble with SWBF2 until yesterday, that's when I started playing Fallout 4 again with its expansions! Re-booting the PC was the only way to fix the problem.

btw. Running latest stable release of Win 10 and all patches. Also running a 2nd monitor off my 4770K iGPU :)