Star Citizen - Squadron 42 - Upcoming PC Space Sim.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Major Melchett, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    Plenty of time to fix performance, beyond that my concern is that I think it looks boring. I mean the lighting is top shelf, the textures are 8/10 but it's very sparse. It reminds me of early open world games where theres this huge world but all you can really do in it is run around as the quest givers are sporadically placed. It's like stuffing a couple of toys in a huge back full of hay. So I hope the entire map can serve some kind of purpose, even NMS has lots of caves, mining opportunities and places of interest every x amount of meters. I know S42 is more focused and an SP campaign but the gameplay so far looks just as sparse as SC does. I mean it's no Halo which I hoped S42 would keep it focused and tight like that.

But as far as SC itself, space sims are usually just filled with a number of things to do, then they are like tossing marbles in a colosseum making you kill hours just traveling around to these spots of interest, forcing you to warp everywhere making the high/low speeds useless except when you're actually in places or near a ship/satallite...etc. EVE: Online is horrible, I don't know how people find each other but I just warped around for a few hours and quit as I find mining to be boring. Never saw a single other person online.

2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
  3. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    got 2x500gb evo SSD, love it

4. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    I also am very happy with Samsung's SSDs.

I have an 850 Pro 512GB in my desktop

2x 850 EVO 500GB SSDs in my father's laptops

2x 850 evo mSATA 250GB drives in RAID 0 in my gaming laptop.

In day to day use and gaming, you honestly do not notice any difference between them, they are all great ^^

Samsung are a very good "go to" SSD being top tier performance in their classes in most benchmarks, that and also being good value for money.

XenthorX likes this.

5. prescient

prescient Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Evga
    i think cig realized the loading time needed for crusader 7 min or so its why they ask for ssd not the fps i still think the effect is minor there

yes that 1 tb will be my thing but atm am not going to upgrade the pain killer
    PainKiller : Hero 6 / i7-4770K/ 1080 FTW / 16GB KHX2400 / WD CB 1tb FZEX / CM storm trooper / SAMSUNG 27' monitor / corsair 750 tx/water 3 extreme / win8.1 64bit pro .

soon i will start a thread in hardware to built a virtual pc as a project for the future or if i lost my pc its been since 2014 when i last checked on what i need i hop u all help me there thanks

6. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Current 3.0 build is fubard. is why people see 5 fps or constant dips to 5 fps.

CR himself posted on xmas eve about what was going on.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...ad/star-citizen-alpha-3-0-performance-tidbits

TL;DR the game is shuffling too much data to the clients, like someone load up their catepillar and blows it up over a moon the game will send you all that data sitting in a coffee shop a system over, there is also a bug where you get interdicted and the flag sticks and will spam players with encounters, which puts more NPCs more combat, which is all being sent to the client.

They did not see this behavior on the test servers, because well there was not 1000s of people doing stuff.

Bad news is it will not be till the 2nd week of january that CIG will not be coming back so the 3.0 live is going to be unplayable for most, unless you luck into a an empty server instance or a quiet one your FPS is going to be abysmal with all the server spam.

Humanoid_1 likes this.
  7. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I was watching this on youtube and then just realized it's you... I think? when letting the floating person in the rear, I saw the username in chat and was like.... hannnggg on a second... haha.

The frames seems to be pretty good in the video, some slowdowns but it seems to be running ok.

XenthorX and Shataan like this.
  8. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Thanks for the info about that, don't think many know that is what is going on yet.

Before the PTU went live I was getting about 12 to 30 fps on my laptop on Medium GFx setting (Low appeared to make no improvement).
    My laptop has 32GB RAM, quad core i7-4710MQ @ up to 3.5GHz, 970m, 2x 850 250GB EVO SSDs,

Looking forward to trying it out on my main PC soon :)

cerebus23 likes this.
  9. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    np man tonite seems everyone is too busy with christmas stuff, logged in earlier and was getting in the mid teens steady fps, wise. relogged to try trackir, and when i got back in was getting 30 to 50 fps just now. Seems real dependent on what server you get in on how your fps will be.

Trackir bugs the helmet UI something fierce though.

Also read they turned off interdiction totally since yesterday, that might help the client load a bit.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  10. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    It's me indeed ^^... I've been spamming Star Citizne content lately

KissSh0t likes this.

11. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    They've gone past the $175M mark today, so they've made about $35M and gained 250,000 backers this year.

12. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Unmelted my avenger yesterday that was my second ship waaay back and bought a hurricane during the anniversary sale. So i helped :p.

3.0 has not been bad since they did those small serverside tweaks. FPS is still highly reliant on what people are doing on your server and how long it has been running, but getting in the 20 fps generally. If i get on a fresh server can get up to 50 fps.

I been helping in the help chat last few days and people are having loads of issues though like shops and NPC stop working. Game losing track of your ship making it unclaimable. Rec and VD items/weapons being bugged and also not covered in the PU if you get destroyed or crash/bed log and have to claim your ship. Interaction stopping working. Ships spawning wo seats, hardpoints and reclaiming seems to not help them. If you get a ship destroyed in the PU it also seems to see with arena commander and you will only be able to use your destroyed ship with no hardpoints on it, even if you have other ships you cannot swap out of it.

Server reset and a patch or two should sort all or most of that stuff out.

Welcome to alpha. :p

13. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    You've been busy!

lately I've been enjoying sticking some of your videos on to one side giving some nice atmosphere (nice without all the talking in most people's videos...) while I read some of the older lore. Some pretty good stories in there :)

XenthorX likes this.
  14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    TonyTurbo and XenthorX like this.
  15. TonyTurbo

TonyTurbo Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 @ 1750/1180
    Shataan likes this.

16. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    So finally re-installed this since about 2 years, to see where it's at.

Two questions:
    • Back in the day, SLI worked well. With 3.0 it's a flash-fest -- any SLI users know of a fix?
    • Even at max details, there's an odd reduction-of-resolution-into-the-distance effect, like the game is downsampling the further away from your point of viewing origin. It causes lots of jaggies, and looks crap. Is this how they claimed some performance improvement? Can it be fixed? Note this is with single-card, no SLI, so that's not a contributing factor.
    Edit: For reference -- res is 3440x1440, GPUs - 1080TI.
    Edit2: The downsampling appears to be most visible in one of the hangers, universe didn't look so bad.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  17. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Hiya,

Currently there is a server bug whereby when a server is busy, but especially when Lots of items have been spawned (eg 100's of crates of cargo) it lags the server which is trying to keep track of everything and causes everyone's FPS to drop.

If lucky on a good clean server you will get up to 50 - 60 fps, though around the 20 - 30 is common and busier servers can see 11-15. Some report even lower on occasion !

The bug is known about and will be put right once CIG get back to their offices, I think I saw it mentioned they are back on the 2nd week of Jan.
    Unfortunately this bug did not make itself apparent in the PTU, it took the much bigger loads of busy public servers to bring it out. Some of CIG apparently came in during the holidays to lessen the impact this bug was causing. It is mostly bearable for now :)

Your GFx issue, that I have not noticed while running Med or Low settings while running on my laptop. Actually looks Really Good considering, actually was forgetting I was on lower settings while playing.

18. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Yea cig is back on the 8th.

And yea server stuff is causing a good chunk the lower FPS. Also of note when they rebooted the servers the hotfix of turning interdiction off got flipped back on and that is dropping alot of frames with the spam bug.

Also a warning for people careful equipping armor, if you save before the game can swap the armor onto your character it will save you naked and with no body which makes the game unplayable until cig can do character resets. If a ton of people are equipping stuff than it can take awhile to swap.

Also if you crash the game or the server boots you you lose any items you bought in the stores. So be aware.

19. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    guys, sorry not trolling or anything, but why would anyone play a game that is not even an official release to public and will never come out....i fail to understand

20. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    You do realise that EVERY single game ever made goes through the development process of what star citizen is doing? It's just for the first time the entire process has been public. I love seeing what they are doing but to be honest with the amount of bitching about the game I wish they just kept things private. To many man babies online who fail to understand the process.