Intel Core i7-8709G with Vega M Graphics

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    All I have to say is: I didn't know I'd live long enough to see this.

3. Ziggymac

Ziggymac Guest

GPU:
    Asus 970 Strix SLi
    So is this what Intel/AMD have come up with to take on Nvidia Laptop GPU's? If so, can only be a good thing, just as in the desktop space, Nvidia dominates the laptop market.

..although I can't see these first generation parts beating out the top end 1070/1080 mobile chips TBH.

4. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    ...or the second, or the third...

5-10 years to reach current competitor performance maybe?

Even on discrete GPU cards AMD needs a HUGE amount of power (and make a lot more heat) than Nvidia competition to fall short in performance.

Now the mandatory weaker integrated AMD GPU chip into this CPU (underclocked, low temp) will need "some" gens to catch current Nvidia laptop GPUs.

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Is it possible this for an Apple product? I can't watch the video at work but I know Apple is using Vega and Intel, it would make sense for them to want this and they'd definitely have the $$ to do it.

6. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Years ago the best chipset for AMD were from NVidia... so i can imagine.

Silva likes this.
  7. LEEc337

LEEc337 Member Guru

GPU:
    Team Green 960
    So if futuremark got the spec, where are the benches?

8. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Not bad Intel not bad at all. Maybe in a couple of generations they could compete with Nvidia in the Laptop GPU market but the way things are now Nvidia is still the king considering they dropped the m and switched to using watered desktop GPUs which are pretty close in power to the actual Desktop card with the pascal cards.

9. Malmoth

Malmoth New Member

GPU:
    Evga 980Ti SC ACX 2.0+6GB
    I smell Koduri effect.

10. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7800 XT
    Apple may use it, but we saw this board last month and it does look a bit like a NUC board. For example, the little SATA power connectors next to the 2 SATA ports are used on NUCs for internal 2.5" drives.

Seems like a strange choice but in a way it makes sense. The vertical mounted SODIMMS say NUC, not notebook. NUC boards are smaller than notebooks, so the single package makes sense. Speculation is that this is for a 100 watt NUC to succeed the 45 watt Skulltrail NUC. There is speculation that the GPU would use about 65 watts, which is only half of the desktop Vega 56 on it's low power BIOS. If it's all true, the GPU is projected to perform closer to 1060 than 1050Ti. Not a bad deal if it works. At 100 watts I expect this to be a bit taller than current NUCs to make room for a larger heatsink. I hope it's better than the Skulltrail NUC, which had heat and stability issues.

11. Ramanan

Ramanan Guest

GPU:
    APU
  12. m4dn355

m4dn355 Master Guru

GPU:
    Guru3D 2080 Super H
    AMD inside

Silva likes this.
  13. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Huh nice to see Intel and AMD team up in such a manner :)

14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I'm pretty sure this isn't literally an IGP - to my recollection, Intel's IGP still exists too, but, I wonder if only the Vega M is used by default.

15. HK-1

HK-1 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580 Power Color
    hmm without fanboysm but AMD always rocks :D

16. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I want to get my mitts on one of these, but I'll settle for a nice set of benchmarks from Hilbert instead. :nerd:

17. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
    Yes ,Intel's IGP is still there, AMD's graphic chip is connected to CPU with glue(hehehe:):););)) aka Intel's EMIB ,if memory serves me well it has throughput of PCIEx8 3.0, most likely that Intel's IGP is default, it consumes less power by virtue of being simpler and smaller and it is baked with CPU on same die , EMIB can brake or otherwise malfunction so it would make more sense to make Intel's IGP default. Basically AMD's VEGA M acts like discrete GPU.

18. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    This isn't comparable to the MXM cards.
    How many watts are the 1070/1080 Mobile again ? The same as this entire CPU+GPU, if not more ? :)
    How many Nvidia products are in Apple products ?

This isn't the same market as the huge Nvidia MXM chips, so it doesn't need to compete against them.
    Also, Vega is pretty power efficient in the 1200-1400MHz range, but thats not why you are here, is it ? ;)

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I can't even describe how much I dislike intel's iGPU drivers. For people who want intel CPU, but dislike their iGPU/drivers...
    Still nothing for me. But I am interested in seeing who ordered such thing. Maybe Gaming console? maybe Apple-something?

20. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Yes this product (as show: desktop motherboard) will not compete against laptop MXM.They better don't try to use it in a possible "gamer laptop" it will be another disaster for AMD reputation among gamers.

Power efficiency? Compared to what? Intel current iGPUs? :rolleyes:

I think Intel made a good deal: externalize all iGPU related dev and hire the ex-exec in charge of AMD GPUs to handle the whole thing (MCM design).Intel own iGPUs were only usable in office tasks.