PS3 Super Slim

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by cryohellinc, Dec 19, 2017.

1. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Hey guys,
    Thinking of getting one for myself. Mostly for purpose of playing stuff like Metal Gear series / Killzone e.t.c.
    -Anyone has it? What are your impressions?
    -As I understand this is the last iteration, and the most solid one?
    -How well can it work with 21:9 monitor?

Perhaps noobish questions, however last console I had was PS1. :)

Thanks!

2. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    PS3 is still a crackiing console and has some great games on it that you will be able to pick up for a song these days, and it is a great BR player and it works great with YT anf nextflix and the likes, a good all round machine, so yeah you won't be dissapointed.

I still have my slim PS3 from 2010, works a treat and i use it as a bedroom media center.

cryohellinc likes this.
  3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    XP-200
    Thanks for your answer!
    There are 3 models namely the 12gb, 250gb, 500gb. To my understanding you can attach hard drive to it and use it as consoles storage media, or are there any limitations?

Also according to Wiki there are CECH-40xxx / CECH-42xxx / CECH-43xxx
    Any particular difference between the batches besides country of manufacture?

4. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Well if i were buying one i would go for either the 250 or 500GB model, you can never have too much HDD space, and the PS3 uses the fat16/32 format for all external storage media, so any devices you connect to the PS3 via USB will have to be that format, the internal HDD is encrypted and is Sony own peripheral format so you won't have any issues format size wise transfering music or media onto the internal HDD via the USB storage device, PS3 games wise everything goes to the internal HDD.

Oh, and you can play all PS1 games on any PS3 no matter the model. :D.

cryohellinc likes this.

5. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Thanks for your answer!

I read up a bit, and to my understanding PS3 Super Slim can run any game from PS1 / 2 / 3, only problem is related to physical copies. If they are downloaded from their network, it can run any ps1/2 game. Is that correct?

As mentioned above mainly interested in Metal Gear series and something like Killzone / Heavy Rain.

Gf is already jumping around from this news, there's lots of arcade games on it apparently. ;)

6. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    You can't play any PS2 games on the PS3 super slim be they on disc or in digital format, you can play PS3 and PS1 games from both retail and digital, but Sony removed PS2 BC from the PS3 way back in 2010 with the release of the slim and it never came back to any model after that.

And go to your local second hand shop and grab a lot of PS3 games for a song, you won't regret it....Heavy rains, Infamous, Little Big planet 1/2 and 3, Killzone 2, Red Dead redemption, Uncharted 1,2 and 3, GT5 and 6, God of war 1,2 and 3........that is your 2018 gaming sorted right there. ;)

Have fun.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    Sprecker likes this.
  7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I recent start using my ps3 slim again just to replace the MGS HD collection and MGS

8. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    I still love my fat PS3 60GB model (replaced the HDD with a 250GB) being able to play PS1, 2 and 3 games. A shame the PS4 (pro) can't do BC. The fat 60GB model was the only one with full HW PS2 BC.

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    its not that it cant, just that sony dont want to do it, they rather people use playnow or rebuy the games

10. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    The fat 40GB and 80GB models did SW PS2 emulation, while the 60GB had the Emotion chip inside it thus HW compatible. Sony removed it altogether afterwards. The rest is history.

And sadly yes, Sony wants us to rebuy the countless remasters or moving us towards PSNow.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I just swaped my ps3 1 tb 7200rpm hdd and put it in to my ps4 and put the 500gb 5400rpm drive in the ps3, and instanly remeber why i hated downloading on ps3, wired or wireless download speeds barely do 2mb/s just redownloading the game i actual owned will take a day atlest forget it if i started with ps + games XD

ps4 does 10mb/s wireless and about 10 to 20mb/s wired

Keitosha likes this.
  12. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Alittle late but, If you can score an older slim or phat that has old firmware, you can probably install custom firmware, which will allow the use of emulators and installing games directly to the harddrive for games that don't natively support it, which is very handy especially if the game is drive heavy, saves it from wear and tear (had mw2 kill my bd rom),

to my knowledge there is no working exploit for the superslim.

There does exist a full ps2 emulator included in the ps3 firmware(not just the partial emulation of the early 80gb model), but its only used with those psn ps2 "classics" (not remasters) you can download, if you use custom firmware you can use it for retail ps2 discs if i recall correctly.
    Poor decision on sony's part to not implement it for general use.

honestly the best way to play ps2 games is via a component cable on the original hw, epecially if you pair it with widescreen / upscaling hacks, if i recall correctly the upscaling on ps3 via hdmi is pretty muddy.
    especially since you can pick up a ps2 for almost nothing these days.

Keitosha likes this.
  13. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    That's interesting. Still having a PS2 slim somewhere and a component cable for it. I'm having 2 PS3's, the fat 60GB model and PS3 slim 320GB on the attic. I can attach my PS2 on that tv and try it out. I might have some memory cards as well. Oh sweet memories. Loved playing Hardware Online on the PS2 back in the day.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    best way to play ps2 game games on original hw only if you still have CRT to hook it too, other wise much better to play it threw pcsx2 atlest imo

user1 likes this.
  15. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Ive always wanted to try a sync on green capable crt monitor via the ps2 vga cable , i'd imagine that would be the cleanest image you can get. Otherwise yes pscsx2 can be alot better, especially on games with performance issue like killzone

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black

solo reason I refuse to play my ps2 or even ps1 games on orginal hw is cause i no longer have CRT to play them

17. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    I have the Super Slim. It's a cheap POS with a very flimsy sliding CD door. It feels cheap, it functions cheap..I mean it works just fine but you have to handle it with the hands of a new mother or it'll break. The PS3 slim is a better model. I used to have the original fat model but the video output stopped working and just had a blank screen. The Super slim just pissed me off which how cheap it was built.

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yah i think of all the models the slim was the best in terms of build quality, obviously fat is Superior if want BC, was also superior i fan noise, from day one right up to the 5 years later when it died from ylod, but by this time i had already replaced it with the slim

19. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Have a 12GB Super Slim myself and been happy with it. However getting one now definitely go for a HDD model
    (12 GB is enough for me as I have only a handful of games, none of which really require installation to HDD).

No issues and like said works beautifully as a BR player etc. Only complaint I have is the disc bay cover which slides to the side instead of being the usual tray style.
    It becomes a little rickety over time. Still works 100 % (console bought new in Dec 2012) but be careful with it and pay extra attention to this if (when?) buying second hand console.

No idea about ultrawide though, use a bog standard 720p HDTV with mine.

20. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Well if it interests anyone, got myself used PS3 Slim with 320gb HDD, after some voodoo dances got CFW on it. Did some internal cleaning (haven't replaced thermal paste thou), and it runs nice now.

Purchased Metal Gear Legacy collection (box looks amazing :3) and playing it by the timeline in my free time, starting with MGS 3. However bloody hell the controls are CLUNKY, aiming especially.