Moon landing

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by archie123, Dec 17, 2017.

1. archie123

archie123 Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    They landed the first spaceship on the moon using a pc with 5k of ram :D madness!

2. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    All thanks to the really good Dos boot up disk thay had made using mem manager. ;)

3. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    That’s if they ever did land, I don’t think they did. There’s plenty of evidence to suggest they didn’t and the Russians were so far ahead of the Americans regarding space technology.

4. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Sure we did...I saw it on tv when I was a kid...

Brasky, The1 and Lex Luthor like this.

5. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Suddenly I feel very young.

Solfaur likes this.
  6. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Check out the rope ROM that they used to program the embedded software.

They had to use something that wouldn't be affected by radiation so It was literally weaved (by hand) metal cables with magnetic loops. It was machine code, in every 'position' if the cable passed through a loop it represented a 1, if not is was a 0. Crazy stuff and heavy but it was the only thing they had. If a mistake was made in production, the whole thing had to be unwound!

Fixed.

INSTG8R likes this.
  7. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    In 1969 the technology arms race was very different. The Soviet Union blew America's wiener off with the launch of Sputnik, and manned launches, and early rocketry in general. But America started dumping mass amounts of money to catch up. And catch up they did. Werner Von Braun was acquired by the Americans after World War 2 and he had unlimited funding basically after 1958. The Saturn V was his magnum opus, and the Soviets had nothing that could compete with it when it was unveiled and tested in 1961. The Soviet counterpart, the N-1, was rushed and by and large an unmitigated disaster with two catastrophic failures causing massive explosions. The second failure was so bad that the launch complex was damaged beyond use and the rocket was abandoned. It was at that point that the Soviet program started a downward spiral. They spent most of the 1970's trying to steal Space Shuttle classified information to make their own, which got canned with the fall of the government in 91. Mind you I find the Soviet space program fascinating and the N-1 program in particular has been something I've studied a lot. But suggesting that the Soviets were ahead at the time that Americans set astronauts on the moon? I can assure you that they were not.

I feel like a lot of people that don't believe the moon landing could have happened don't realize that the Saturn V was the most capable rocket humans have ever produced. Nothing since has come close to its capability, because sending men and mission equipment to walk on the moon hasn't been a priority anymore.

Solfaur likes this.
  8. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    They had to hack the computer at one point due to a malfunction. Epic stuff from an old-school hacker who pulled it off and saved the mission:

9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I would say this hardware was enough for guys in the rocket to play the tetris.

PS
    Do not forget that scientific achievements of space flights with humans are tiny comparing to flights of automatic stations. So that flight to Moon was PR action (completely unnecessary from science point of view).

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  10. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Thanks, I enjoyed that.

11. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Oh please. There is no credible evidence to suggest they didn't.
    People see what they want to see like this picture that is supposed to be of a coke bottle kicked across the "movie set"
    [​IMG]

12. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    So did someone ever hack that machine to play Doom? :p