Grim Fandango Remastered now free for download

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    GOG has  launched its Winter Sale and PC gamers can find a lot of titles at great discounts. Moreover, and for the next 24 hours, GOG is giving away Grim Fandango Remastered....

Grim Fandango Remastered now free for download

blitz72 likes this.
  2. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Links to the GOG page for something called Moebius Empire Rising.

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I'm probably going to get a lot of hate, but I really didn't like Grim Fandango. The lore is awesome, the story and premise are still refreshing, but as a game I just found it to be a chore to play. Not to mention, the remaster is a little glitchy.

4. Vmhasegawa

Vmhasegawa Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480 8gb
    Well... Can't really blame anyone for not liking it, old adventure games were pretty much linear. But I had a blast playing it again, even though I still remembered every single puzzle and even most of the conversations through the game. Plus, it's one of the only games I actually played on my language (portuguese from Brazil). Generally I hate the translation/dubbing work on most games(I know people work hard to do the whole dubbing process, but hey, my taste) but this one... I don't know, it helped a lot with the whole atmosphere thing.

That said, I don't feel bad for paying the full price for this gem, specially since I couldn't really buy the original release, but I still logged to GOG just to grab it... Well, DMR free is always a plus!

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Being linear wasn't the problem for me - I actually don't mind linear games, and sometimes even prefer them. Sometimes I feel like games are open simply because it's cool, when sometimes it can either be noisy, overwhelming, or ruins the story. My issue with the game was more that the puzzles were tedious, and a lot of them didn't make sense. But, there were much worse offenders back in its day.

6. vonSternberg

vonSternberg Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 560D
    The dubbing was fantastic, it was such a nice experience. I never played the full game though, I got a demo disc with the Senha magazine back in the day :D

7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    wow man, thanks for the tip.It was on my wish list, now free.Thanks !

8. Arbie

Arbie Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Same here. I was sorry to end up disliking a game with so much flair, but finally gave up on it. Non-fun.

9. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    this game is schafers version of myst...except on acid & with a wacky story. plenty of the puzzles are absurd, but arent random. one of the first PC games i ever played, actually. still think its great :)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    vonSternberg likes this.
  10. Vmhasegawa

Vmhasegawa Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480 8gb
    Well... To be honest lots of stuff from the game are pretty absurd, even from a land of the dead kind of thing.
    Too bad I really needed help at the time, couldn't really figure out some stuff and some of the puzzles were indeed tough for my head (I was around 10 when I first played it, so... )
    Anywho, this one has a special place in my heart, being one of the first adventure type games I ever played and probably one of the first on PC I actually played.

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I've never actually played this, but adventure games were one of my favourites genres back in the 90's so I'm sure I will enjoy it.

The talk about the puzzles not making sense reminds me of the Discworld games, particularly the first one as I remember giving up at times and just trying everything I had on everything on screen.
    I seem to remember one puzzle was something like putting frogs with custard.