Analysis: Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition Driver December 2017

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    Noisiv likes this.
  2. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Very nice synopsis...will be trying them shortly. I liked the "Crimson," moniker, though. Thought it had legs--it just rolls off the tongue much more smoothly than "Adrenaline"--two syllables versus four, I think...;) Sitting here staring at my new cpu/ram and motherboard, which I will be transplanting into "the old work horse" today!

3. mare17

mare17 Guest

GPU:
    GTX970
    Wonder how many procceses are running in the backgroud, if someone is kind enough to post a screen with all SW installed. Nvidia for gf experience uses lots of them, but not so memory hungry. Anyway looks like Nv needs some catching up to do ;), great job AMD.

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Two for AMD's driver. (External events client and external events server.)
    Two for ReLive and the new overlay which start with Radeon Settings. (amddvr.exe for re-live and amdow.exe for the overlay.)

One for the sound routine. (DSEManager.exe)

And finally RadeonSettings.exe itself.

If you don't use ReLive you can move the two services for that elsewhere (Or just rename them.) and it'll work anyway, doubt they take much if any resources though but they do still run even if you skip out of installing ReLive so I killed them. :p
    (They might also both be required if you actually use the overlay, I'm still using Afterburner with Rivatuner since it offers greater customization.)

EDIT: I also don't like the new log file in the C:\AMD but eh it's minor enough to not really be worth arguing about but I would have preferred them to keep to the AppData\LocalLow\AMD structure. :p
    (atikmdag_dce.log and then just a version number in there and some nul data, guessing it's for the perf overlay or something?)

Noisiv and mare17 like this.

5. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    As someone who uses Nvidia and gefore experience in his server, yes, they have alot to catch up on. Dear effing god NCP is slow, ugly. Thank god my server has 16 threads and 24GB ram.

mare17 likes this.
  6. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    AMD LINK doesn't work with iPhone nor iPad BooHoo

7. circeseye

circeseye Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6800xt oc
    hdmi scaling is fubared. cant get it to fit screen correctly with these drivers. dammit

8. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Work fine here with my 32" HP Omen Freesync in DP

9. circeseye

circeseye Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6800xt oc
    not on my 72" mitsubishi. i eather have a black line around the whole window or its just to big. example the date in lower right, i only see the top half of date.

10. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Time for go get a LCD TV then so don't have those scaling issue keep in DLP it lot like CRT TV set

11. circeseye

circeseye Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6800xt oc
    sooo lol because one driver has a scaling issue i should just dump a perfectly running tv? (facepalm) and this is the first time a amd driver ever had a scaling issue (unlike nvidea)

12. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Well then if that case then you could always go back to the older ver and make bug report on this one.

13. JAMF72

JAMF72 Member

GPU:
    Rx480/ 8GB
    Shame the %-age had to be exaggerated 500%, but glad with the boost.

14. AzzKickr

AzzKickr Guest

GPU:
    Vega64
    Since the overlay is actually one the biggest (of not thé), I'm wondering what the interaction is with other overlay software like Steam and/or Discord. As soon as I can I'm going to test it for myself but this might be a good addition to the article where overlays are getting more and more widely used but might interfere with one another. A good personal example would be the lack of Steam overlay or Discord when I have Fraps running for instance.