Most graphically advanced title (2017 edition)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Carfax, Dec 1, 2017.

?

Most graphically advanced game of 2017

1. Star Wars Battlefront 2 (Frostbite 3.5)

14 vote(s)
    18.7%
  2. Wolfenstein 2 The New Colossus (Id tech 6.5)

9 vote(s)
    12.0%
  3. Assasssin's Creed Origins (AnvilNext)

28 vote(s)
    37.3%
  4. Resident Evil 7 Biohazard (RE engine)

3 vote(s)
    4.0%
  5. Forza Motorsport 7 (Forzatech engine)

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  6. Call of Duty WW2 (IW engine)

3 vote(s)
    4.0%
  7. Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice (UE4)

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  8. Total War Warhammer 2 (Warscape engine)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Destiny 2 (Inhouse engine)

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  10. Other (Please specify)

8 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    The only thing I disagree with is "all systems have their benefits, their exclusives.." when it comes to AAA titles, PC has absolutely nothing to offer in the way of exclusive unless you want to wear a headset and glasses the whole time.

PC gaming is dying in how it was. It will evolve, I think VR is a waste, I see AR being adopted much more heavily. Maybe that will be what moves it ...I don't know. I agree that keyboard and mouse is legit. But for FPS for me. I prefer a controller these days for 3rd person games. Like you said, it's what each of us prefer.

ramthegamer likes this.
  2. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I agree that VR is terrible. I have no interest in it at all, sitting in front of my PC with a box strapped to my face... does not sound like a fun time.

3. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I'll go with SWBF2 as I've played it extensively and can tell it really does look spectacular and as with many Frostbite engine games it's also very well optimized. I still have to get AC:O and Wolfentstein II, they (especially AC) look good too from what I've seen in videos/pictures.

4. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Actually you're wrong on this. Foliage isn't draw call intensive because developers use something called instancing or batching to use a single instruction to draw multiple similar objects. It would be one thing if every leaf, blade of grass, tree etcetera was a single draw call, but that's not the case. The foliage is being repeated throughout every frame, with just enough subtle variations to suspend disbelief.

Wolfenstein 2 actually uses over 30,000 draw calls per frame, which is an insane amount for an FPS game. That's way more than any DX11 open world title, but when you consider that it uses Vulkan, it's not really that excessive.

5. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Nope, that honor goes to AC Unity's Paris.

6. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    This topic is for 2017 titles only. Last time I checked, Kingdom Come Deliverance is supposed to be released in 2018.

7. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Because I looked at the CPU load, and all of my threads were being utilized evenly. The Vulkan API can scale to very high thread counts when it comes to rendering, so it's not exactly unusual.

8. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUFF 3080 12Gb
    Vaporum game
    TheHunter: call of the Wild
    Hand of Fate 2
    TombraiderDOX
    Nelo
    PAMELA
    Black Mirror IV
    RUINER
    ELEX
    HOB

9. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    No i'm not wrong. What you write about here is called Automerge in Cryengine, it merge meshes into one big cluster and greatly decrease draw calls which improves performance a lot. But this only can be used for objects with 1 submaterial, it only works with grass. It can't work on trees, etc.
    And i talk about open world heavy foliage games with complex shaders, etc. Wolfenstein can not be compared to this at all.

Novigrad is the best and most detailed city because it looks and feels like city. People here have their daily routines, they work, sleep, interact, etc. They do not just walk around.

10. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    It doesn't work like that. Just because you see your CPU shows usage on all logical cores doesn't mean there's that many active threads on a particular game or application. The OS will distribute the load across all available resources to accomplish the task.

11. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I just told you, that Wolfenstein 2 has over 30K draw calls per frame. This was confirmed by Tiago Sousa (lead rendering architect) on this twitter feed. No DX11 game has anywhere close to that level of draw calls, as the CPU would get bogged down.

Also, instancing works on any object. And you think Wolfenstein 2 doesn't have complex shaders? The game has over 80% compute in terms of GPU occupancy, which is very high.

Well you're welcome to your opinion, but from my perspective, AC Unity Paris is the most detailed by far. A single major landmark building in AC Unity has more geometric complexity than any structure in the Witcher 3. Witcher 3's geometry was downgraded heavily to increase performance on the consoles, and this was especially the case in Novigrad.

12. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Yes it's true that the OS will move the load across the CPU in an effort to reduce CPU temperatures, but doing this doesn't result in an evenly distributed workload. Quite the opposite in fact. When the OS moves the CPU load from core to core, you will see that some cores/threads will remain idle for a given period of time and won't be used at all, or several cores will have much higher usage compared to others. You see this in DX11 games all the time.

With Wolfenstein 2 on the other hand, the workload is distributed evenly at all times during gameplay, even across 16 threads which demonstrates that it's the game itself that is distributing the workload. Hilbert noticed as much when he did the Wolfenstein 2 performance analysis and posted this graph of an 1800x:

[​IMG]

13. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    I voted Destiny 2. In my view, it's not all about which game has the most detailed textures, but instead, it is about how a game puts all the details and colors together, the overall aesthetics. Destiny 2 isn't lacking in the details department, so that isn't worth talking about, but what sets it apart is its usage of colors, and how they are used to set the atmosphere and the feel of the whole game. BF2 and AC are great too, but they are both strictly detail oriented; the colors aren't as "fun" as Destiny 2's.

Personal taste plays a big role too in these selections.

14. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    Well i have finished Wolfenstein 2 just to see what's the fuss, and it does not impress me at all in terms of graphics. Sure it is detailed here and there, but that's it. It is also very static, i mean here physics does no exist, the same is with destruction. You can't interact with anything. Lighting is static completely. Exteriors and some other places look like crap, and are like different game! Characters look great but only in cutscenes.
    Why the game looks and feels so static and washed out if they use complex shaders?
    Also this is very linear and closed game and with this level of graphics and interaction can't be compared with open world games at all.

And what 30K draw calls per frame!? You can have only 30k draw calls in certain situations. This Tiago Sousa talks nonsense. He also talks about tessellated water, but doesn't mention that it also looks like crap, totally unrealistic. What's the point?

AC Unity Paris > quantity, non-realism, which lead to shitty performance.
    Novigrad > quality, realism, interaction, atmosphere, much better performance.

Solfaur likes this.
  15. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    You lost me when you said that the lighting is static. This I know for sure is false, because W2 has tons of dynamic +volumetric lighting and shadows. In fact, according to his twitter account, "All "fog" is volumetric and unified, every light + shadow + indirect lighting affects it, including water caustics / underwater light scattering."

Just because a game is open world, doesn't automatically make it superior to a linear title in terms of technology.

Due to Vulkan, they probably didn't have to worry about using techniques like instancing or batching. 30K draw calls is a lot for DX11, but for Vulkan, it's actually quite low.
    Show me one structure in Novigrad that can compete with AC Unity's major landmarks in terms of size, scale and complexity. I still have some screenshots from AC Unity. And keep in mind that many of these structures can be entered:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yes, Unity was visually an impressive game.
    Too bad... stability, performance, gameplay, story... characters... were just so poorly done and bland.

17. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    i enjoyed unity to say the least for the gameplay and setting, paris is just a lovely setting in that game, shame about the game breaking bugs and performance indeed

18. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    Novagrad over Unity's Paris!? No way. Sure each to their own, but the way they brought Paris to life from that era and size was very impressive. Sure Witcher 3 is obviously a different and bigger game, but Paris beats Novagrad any day regardless of NPC's sleep cycle.

Carfax likes this.
  19. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I agree. Another thing too was the technology. AnvilNext back then isn't as polished and refined as it is now which lead to a lot of performance and LoD issues. If they ever made an AC game based on revolutionary France again with all the enhancements they did to combat, story, quests etcetera that they did in AC Origins, it would be a knockout title.

AC Origins is probably the best game I've played all year, and that's saying a lot coming from me as I've never even finished an AC game despite owning several.

20. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I just completed Unity on the Xbox and i thought it was the most visually stunning AC game i have ever played, AC Syndicate comes close to it but AC:U Paris is simply stunning, and i played it on what is supposed to be the worse system.