Radeon RX 560: AMD silently changes GPU specification

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 5, 2017.

1. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Bait and switch. Gigabyte are also known to do this on some of their lower end boards. Reduce power phases, mosfets, other specs after initial reviews are out and label it rev 1.1 or 1.2.

Neo Cyrus and Keitosha like this.
  2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Except in NV's case the 630/730 were upgraded not downgraded.

Moved from fermi > kepler

rl66 likes this.
  3. DAMAFIA

DAMAFIA Guest

GPU:
    7970@1180/1800
    Wonder if a bios flash wud get the shader cores unlocked..... Assuming they haven't laser cut em!!!

4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    If AMD actually allows them to sell an inferior product under the exact same name I hope they get sued along with any partner company which sells it. This is the level of bullshit I've come to expect from nVidia/Gigabyte/other companies known to have no level they can't sink to. Also there's no way this doesn't break US, Canadian, and European laws.
    If the power phase quality and mosfets are already overkill (I don't know if GB's are) at least it wouldn't have a significant impact, those mother fuckers have actually switched out RAM for far inferior types on their video cards... even on their overpriced G1 series. Every review I saw on their 970s had super overclockable Samsung RAM, every Gigabyte 970 I've tested used reject C grade Hynix RAM that would choke and crash 1GHz below the Samsung samples sent to reviewers. I'm still using that card, I'm still pissed.
    When was the last time something wasn't actually laser cut? The only example I can think of in the last eternity was some of the early HD 6950s being unlockable to the same spec as 6970s.

5. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    it wasn't: both were present at day 1 until GT 1030 put them all in the grave, many reviewer warn about it... it was like the lotery.

6. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Its not illegal, since they changed the spec before they started selling the new cards, if they had left the specs the same (saying 16cus only) on the box of the product, then it would be a problem. still scummy though.

Pretty sure quite a few amd cards aren't actually laser cut. at least not in a way that actually breaks anything, thinking its more like resistors setting the cpu multi like the old days, Not all hawaii gpus are hard locked and there is a way to override the hwlocks on hawaii based cards for example(using special tools), Some furys aren't hardlocked either and some that report hwlock can actually be unlocked . only amd cards that are probably fully laser cut in recent years were the 7000 series and midrange parts like the 285-380 and 470-580 which are likely at the highest risk for cannibalized sales , rx 560 is a budget product ,skipping a step makes more sense considering there were no "465" or "560D" type variants that might cannibalize sales

7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    The problem is when potential buyers are interested in the RX560, the initial reviews will all be for the original uncut version. And that will mislead them. AMD should not sell it with same product name, but differentiate it with a suffix for example, LE or SE, etc.

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    From: https://www.resetera.com/threads/amd-quietly-downgraded-some-radeon-rx-560-graphics-cards.9749/

[​IMG]

So a ~4 Euro difference and the only thing differing is the market name ("EVO" indeed.) but the actual product name which is where it should differ is kept identical so unless the consumer carefully compares the specs and product ID like this then well they're getting the D version of the 560 GPU.
    (So Nvidia had that SE version of the GeForce 4 or what it was which was quickly named Slow Edition instead of Special Edition, I guess in this case it would be known as the Downclocked edition or Downgrade edition..but that's likely not what the community name will be. :p )

Unfortunate for anyone thinking of upgrading to a more modest GPU and getting screwed over by this.

9. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    This should be called "fraud".

Monchis likes this.
  10. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    It should be named with something that implies it's weaker, like 560 Lite or something.
    But yeah this is pretty scummy. Not every potential buyer has the time or inclination to research everything they buy.

11. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  12. DAMAFIA

DAMAFIA Guest

GPU:
    7970@1180/1800
    Beat me too it
    Yay turns out it cud well be possible. This dudes done it...Posts in the statement from amd thread

Agonist said:
    For the 896 version, you are correct, but I did have a RX 460 4GB that unlocked to all 1024 with 560 clocks. And it made a nice difference.