8700k/8600k owners thread (I know the irony)

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Loophole35, Oct 17, 2017.

1. alphadogg

alphadogg Member

GPU:
    Evga 660 ti
    I agree but I was really surprised with the thermal paste on my 8700k as it was new and not dried out like the used cpus I’m used to delidding, it was also a darker colour.
    Liquid metal made a big difference but I only got a 15C temp difference so I’d say the thermal paste on the 8700k is okay stuff(when new).

2. alphadogg

alphadogg Member

GPU:
    Evga 660 ti
    Actually I was surprised when I delidded mine I’m used to getting dried out Tim in slight grey colour. The 8700k had a darker colour tim and seemed relatively okay.
    Overall I’d say the 8700k tim is much better than the previous stuff but I still saw a 15C drop

3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Don't need a delid tool. Razor blade is easy ;)

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Yeah I'd go the vice and 2x4 method before a blade. Just not comfortable taking a blade to a $400 CPU.

airbud7 likes this.

5. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    It's actually pretty easy with a blade, we always used to do this with the Athlon 64 back in the days. The harder part (to me) is to get the lid back on the way it was...

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    To me, blade is the safest way.

I've delidded about 6 CPUs with no issues.

7. alphadogg

alphadogg Member

GPU:
    Evga 660 ti
    I tried the razor method with a few blades from a DIY store I got 2 razors and a 18mm snap off knife and I couldn’t get any of them started with the blade.

To save my fingers I tried the vice and Wood block method with a 3770k and it kept denying the wood and damaged the top of the pcb a little, so I gave up. I’m aware it can be done with just a vice like Brian@tech yes city has shown in-store but my vice isn’t new and hardly clean.
    I delidded the 3770k with a £15 delid tool from der8aer that shipped to me in 2 days it was instant and a no brainier.
    I’ve now replaced the chewing gum on 8 cpus locker and unlocked with my delid tool. As I’ve been selling these computers I’ve been using arctic mx-2 as it’s non conductive.
    As you can buy 3D printed delid tools that should be good for a single delid I wouldn’t ever touch a razor or vice unless you intend to spend ages messing about and don’t mind replacing your cpu if you mess up

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    airbud7 likes this.
  8. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I bought a tool for 30$ but the main advantage for me was the second step, getting the IHS back on. We never put them back on in earlier years and thus I always used a thin blade.
    Very easy, very safe and absolutely recommended.

9. alphadogg

alphadogg Member

GPU:
    Evga 660 ti
    Stupid not buy a decent tool in my opinion with the price of Chinese tools

Look what I found on AliExpress
    http://s.aliexpress.com/euAriiqY

10. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    Hi alphadogg ,
    I managed to get myself a couple of days ago a core i7 8700k batch L733C498 at 390 EUROS.
    (wanted to grab one know before the new batches from china arrive.)
    I want as well to get a z370 motherboard with the best vrms and was wondering what manufacturer you have found to be the best.

Basically i am waiting for the asus rog maximus x code to be released and my second option is the gigabyte Aorus gaming 7.
    I really want my build to last my for at least 3 or more years and want to get the best motherboard with high quality components.
    I don't plan to go crazy with 5+ghz overclock 4.7ghz on all cores will be just fine for me with c power states turned on so the cpu can downclock to idle voltages and frequency (not that i won't try to test how far i can go)

For cooling what do you gurus suggest is better a corsair H110i or a H100i v2.
    i see Hilbert using a H110 cooler for a long time in his great reviews and also the H110 using 140mm fans should be less noisy than the 120mm H100 v2. Space is not an issue as my case is a corsair 780T.

I would really appreciate any kind of feedback thanks.

11. TheWahoo

TheWahoo Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1080 Hybrid
    See my post regarding the Asus Strix z370-E (may be helpful):

New Gigabyte Aorus or Asus Strix?

Also, I've been using an H105 for years and just replaced it with an NZXT X62; it's beautiful and works brilliantly -- a significant improvement from the H105.

12. alphadogg

alphadogg Member

GPU:
    Evga 660 ti
    Well for cooling if you just want a silent cooler I’d go for a hyper 212 or a Bequiet cooler if you want something a little better. AIO liquid coolers are nice but there’s usually a noticeable noise bass noise from the pump that isn’t that noticeable but it’s there and noticeable next to a quiet air cooler lol. I went for the Corsair h110 with 1500rpm Noctua fans in the end but originally went for the h100i, I changed because the pump uses a molex connector and is really loud compared to the h60 I upgraded from.

When we talk about overclocking it’s not dangerous as long as you keep voltage under 1.5v and temps under 90 but realistically on the coolers I’ve mentioned you should be able to get 4.8 or 4.9 or 5.0 on stock voltage as long as you leave voltage at stock or undervolt. We don’t know how good your cpu will be binned but you will get better than 4.7ghz at stock voltage.

As for the x code motherboard look at the features and what you will use. I’d say Asus are most reliable that’s mostly my preference and if you’re not overclocking you don’t need there most expensive board.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  13. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    Well, I feel like I'm probably gonna derail the current discussion now, but I'm feeling both anxious and excited at the same time. Received a mail not long ago, that my hardware order for Coffee Lake (8700k) and additional hardware has finally been confirmed. Really took its time coming to Denmark, or maybe they've been in short supply, but I'm looking forward to receiving it all the same.

Though I'm expecting to get a lot of criticism from friends for not choosing AIO cooling for it.
    [​IMG]

airbud7 likes this.
  14. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    TheWahoo thanks for your the info on your personal experience the thing i don't like on the NZXT X62 is their software needing an online acount to control the rgb logo.

Alphadogg Thanks for your feedback for cooling i will be going for an AIO noise is not an issue, my current build (look in my profile page)
    has been running since day one on a H100 at 4.7ghz HT on at only 1.28v under load perfectly stable to this day as we speek with excellent temps.

If i understood you correctly you currently have a Corsair h110? is it the i version? also i can't seem to find a review on the H110i and H100i v2 extreme performance only GT versions what happened just a rename of the same products?

As for overclocking i just simply love to push my hardware to the safest highest overclock.
    for me voltages over 1.4 and temps over 80c are not acceptable for a 24/7oc.

I think i will be going for an Asus board as i am familiar with their uefi bios.
    the only thing that worries me is that their current bios is still messed up LLC not working MCE giving to much voltage.
    That is the only thing holding me back for buying a mobo at the moment and being a bit cautious with asus and reading feedback on their current bios state for their maximus v hero so far.

I really want/need the code for the features and aesthetics to match my Asus gtx 1070strix with aura lighting and my trident z 3200mhz rgb kit.

Thanks for your feed back i just need you to clarify for me as i mentioned above what AIO unit you are using,
    in the mean while i will be doing a lot of research on other coffelake owners feedback.

15. alphadogg

alphadogg Member

GPU:
    Evga 660 ti
    When you get into AIO coolers it’s all about the RPM of your fans and thickness of the rad. The nzxt and Corsair radiators and pumps are like for like apart from that crap h100i I had with the molex connector and loud pump.
    The big difference is in the fans and different Corsair 280mm coolers have different rpm fans ranging from 2750rpm-1500rpm which is about silent.
    When you really dissect the temp results the only differences outside of margin or error are in radiator size and fan rpm. I’d also universally say that a thicker rad is better than going for a bigger radiator

https://www.Disney.net/hwreviews/2788-evga-clc-280-review-vs-nzxt-x62-corsair-h115i/page-3

Apparently guru 3D doesn’t like gamers N look what they did to my link

Btw I’m using a Corsair h110 with 1500rpm Noctua fans.

16. TheWahoo

TheWahoo Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1080 Hybrid
    Just FYI, the latest version of CAM doesn't require an account. Perhaps this is a new development since I have no prior experience with NZXT products but it's fully functional in offline mode. And man is that RGB ring pretty! To piggyback on what alphadogg stated, the Corsair and NZXT 280mm products are almost identical, excepting the custom PCB that NZXT is using in the pump, presumably to control all that bling. The pumps themselves are identical, and the rads have basically the same surface area.

Either one would perform better with quality aftermarket fans, such as the Noctuas as alphadogg mentioned, so what it really comes down to is if you want to shell out a few more bucks for all the pretty colors!

17. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    First of, I've not read through the whole thread, so this might have already been discussed. But has anyone here with Coffee Lake installed it on Windows 7 as the chosen OS?

18. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Windows 10 here but it is supposed to support W7 IIRC.

19. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    Yeah I don't think its that hard, actually. I've been checking up on it since I asked the question, and it turns out Asus and the other motherboard makers, has made tools for the purpose of installing Windows 7 on the newer chip set. Plus, there are quite a few youtube videos of people doing it without issues. I think its gonna be alright.

20. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Hopefully, I will be joining you guys also, My system is overdue for a refresh.