19 GPU Support

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by funtimes0007, Dec 1, 2017.

1. funtimes0007

funtimes0007 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1070TI
    I have a 19 GPU combination of NVIDIA 1070 TI and 1060 cards, using ASUS 250 Expert miner board.

The MSI afterburner I tested up to 8 cards after I added more cards, the program will not load anymore.

Questions:

1. Does anyone know the max number of cards MSI Afterburner can support?

2. Does anyone knows any other program that can support such large number of GPU's

Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: Dec 11, 2017

There is beta version of MSI Afterburner that can be downloaded from

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/rtss-6-7-0-beta-1.412822/page-51#post-5499466

This version fixes any issues encountered by miners that have more than 8+ GPU's.

The other alternative for NVIDIA card owners is to download NVIDIA INSPECTOR

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/nvidia-profile-inspector-download.html

Thanks to Unwinder which I just found out that he also the programmer of this software!. That's a shame that the poor guy also has to moderate this forum as well, so my apology for being harsh towards you Unwinder. I can understand your frustration now.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

3. funtimes0007

funtimes0007 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1070TI
  4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    You're simply out of luck then. Afterburner is not designed as a mining tool, it's tweaking software for PC gamers. The fact that is can support eight cards is already a staggering fact by itself.

RzrTrek likes this.

5. Unwinder

Try to read the link I provided slowly please.

6. funtimes0007

funtimes0007 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1070TI
    Yes, I agree. I think the mining community has pushed this program to its limits.

I saw some old posts and it looks like the gaming community hates the miners :) I have been playing video games since arcade games days and now my son plays them. Not sure why there is so much hate towards miners. I think the extra money both Nvidia and AMD is getting is allowing them to develop better cards which will benefit the gaming community at the end as most miners don't go beyond e.g. NVIDIA 1070 TI due to the high cost associated with it.

Were these cards were cheaper before and NVIDIA and AMD jack up the prices? I don't know the history so I am just curious now.

mooney4321 likes this.
  7. funtimes0007

funtimes0007 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1070TI
    Unwinder - ok I think I got it. I will check NVIDIA Inspector.

8. funtimes0007

funtimes0007 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1070TI
    By the way, does anyone knows the math behind Power vs. Overclocking? If you reduce the operating temp and increase the memory clock speed does that matter?. What is the proportion one must maintain between power vs. overclocking to achieve optimum results?

Is there an article that I can read that would explain the math/science behind all this detail. Thanks

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  9. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
  10. Unwinder

Doubt that you've got it. Once again, PEASE read the link SLOWLY.

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Because there are no cards left in stock when gamers want to buy them thanks to miners

dr_rus and Andy_K like this.
  12. funtimes0007

funtimes0007 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1070TI
    It is about 0.11 cents per KW/h so roughly 2.75 per day give and take.

I am an engineer by profession and I am simply trying to understand what does mining is all about. Pros and cons etc. I do have a daytime business, so this is more from learning perspective because we never know this may become the next big thing or maybe not. The regular financial institutions also run 1000's of servers to keep track of our financial data which also costs tons of money. Each bank has at least 3 to 4 data centres for backups, for failover systems etc. I don't see the difference other than scattered effort vs. centralized banking server farms. :)

I have seen all kinds of childish debates on this forum already. I am interested in useful and thoughtful discussion for sure.

I am also willing to bet that some of the gamers who are hating miners are also secretly doing some mining on the side as they have at least one GPU. It's called temptation. :)

mooney4321 likes this.
  13. funtimes0007

funtimes0007 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1070TI
    True and I agree, but its a temporary problem. Both NVIDIA and AMD have all the cards back in stock. They have limit 2 cards per household. How I got 19 cards, well I asked my employees to buy 2 each.

14. funtimes0007

funtimes0007 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1070TI
  15. funtimes0007

funtimes0007 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1070TI
    I am not sure what comment are you referring to? I have read it few times.

you stated, "It was repeated that there won't be direct support for selecting >8 GPUs from skin GPU quick selection panel, but it should be selectable from application properties and it definitively should not crash when >8 NVIDIA GPUs are installed. So crashing will be fixed."

16. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    He is referring to:

17. funtimes0007

funtimes0007 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1070TI
    Well, that is what I thought but in my case it was. I will give it a try again.

18. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    You still are an ******. Don't care, miners are cancer. It still is a problem. Prices are totally ruined.

dr_rus likes this.
  19. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Life is a temporary problem too so if you can't get what you want now there's a chance that you won't get it ever.

20. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    The irony here is, I have had to wait sometimes to get hardware i wanted when its already out of date. EOL. DIdnt get my first i7 X58 rig till 3rd quarter 2013. My first dual cpu server is an X58 with dual X5550s. I always wanted an HD 2900xt badly when they came out. I could get one till 2014. I had to settle for a 7950GT 512 till mid 2008 when my friend bought me a 8800gts 512mb for doing alot of work for him.

For someone who likes dual gpus and wanted dual RX 480 8GB reference cards, I have a big F- YOU sentiment to miners. I had to settle for a R9 Fury air cooled. While its a fantastic card, dual RX 480s 8GB are betting on the avg.