Need nvflash --list help

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by iMap_Control, Nov 23, 2017.

1. iMap_Control

iMap_Control Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780/1080ti
    I am running a EVGA GTX 780 in pcie slot 3 currently. I have removed all drivers via ddu. Restarted and shut down. Removed power from psu, and popped in my EVGA 1080 ti ftw3 into (i think) pcie slot 5. (trying to flash 1080 because of no signal on start with only that card in.)
    On the first start with both cards in i hit the clr cmos button and defaulted the uefi. Ive got nvflash in the "c:/nvflash" folder with the bios1.rom. When i try and --list im getting this in the picture. I need to know what one i can flash for the 1080 as this is my first time and i have little idea of what im doing. Please help.[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, not sure if helpful info but

CPU: i7 3930k Sandy Bridge E
    MOBO: ASROCK x79 Extreme 11
    PSU: 1000w Enermax

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Hey iMap, are you sure you have the right version of NVflash to handle Pascal BIOSs? Afaik it requires a special version that works around the signed BIOS limitations (haven't bothered with flashing my 1080Ti yet).
    Did you check all the connectors like power, if it's connected to the 1080?
    Also, no disabled PCIe slots?

Did you try to put in only the 1080 to flash it in the first place, setting the primary adapter (at first) to any present iGPU, then only having the 1080 as the only inserted adapter? I know it should technically still work with the 780 inside but it's kind of a hard workaround to your problem of not being sure which one to flash.

3. iMap_Control

iMap_Control Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780/1080ti
    Thanks for the reply!
    The nvflash version i have was one that was modded to work with the 1080ti, so it said.
    (i can find link to where i got it if needed. Will take a bit, as i have been trying things for hours tonight.)

I do have power connected on both cards.
    [​IMG]
    I dont think there are any pcie slots disabled.

I can not flash with only the 1080 in because as far as i know my mobo dusnt have any igpu. :(

I need some air duster.. And some longer cords, but works (or dusnt) for the moment.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  4. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Oh yes I see, you're one of those people who didn't buy a CPU with an iGPU, my bad I didn't read, I'm sorry :D
    Well then I guess it should work.

Do you actually have anything else plugged in to PCIe besides the two GPUs? Any SATA express stuff happening in your rig?
    Because I don't know but that PLX somehow reminds me of PLEX PCIe controllers sometimes found on boards, providing more PCIe lanes, especially with a board like your's featuring so many slots.

I personally would try the following, if possible: put the working 780 in a different PCIe slot but #1, and put the 1080 to #1. If you get a display signal, check NVflash afterwards to see if it shows the 1080 and PLX twice.

5. iMap_Control

iMap_Control Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780/1080ti

Was busy the last few days and was not able to mess with this at that time. But im back at it again now and I have a little more info on the plx stuff showing up in nvflash. Here is what i found out.

"So insert ASRock, and the ASRock X79 Extreme11. This motherboard comes with two PLX PEX 8747 chips, making up to 72 PCIe lanes available. This are split into 64 for the PCIe slots (x16/x16/x16/x16 capable), and eight are directed to an LSI SAS 2308 PCIe 3.0 chip, which allows RAID 0, 1 and 10 on eight SATA ports, for a peak throughput of up to 4.0 GBps from eight drives in RAID-0."

Seems like they are connected to the pcie lanes and nv flash is picking them up.
    So trying to figure out what one of the three in the list i needed to flash, i removed the 1080 ti and ran nvflash with only the 780 in.
    Doing so i still had all three options in the list. So i guess that it hasnt been picking up the 1080 ti from the start... Im not sure what i should do now other then try and get a different nvflash version and maybe it will show the 1080 ti?

6. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    What you could try is put the 780 onto a slot that's connected via the plex controllers, and the 1080Ti onto the slot that's directly connected to the CPU (the slot where your 780 is in). That way you should see the 1080Ti, and the two PLX entries (the 780 hidden under one of those two entries).

7. iMap_Control

iMap_Control Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780/1080ti
    Okay so im making progress! key thing was basicly the first thing you told me... Even though the nvflash i had before stated it worked with 1080 ti, it was not. So on the new one i have i am getting this.
    [​IMG]

Yay! But now im questioning the bios.rom i have because it was from the same sorce as the non working nvflash.
    I have a .zip file that has alot of bios for various gpu's from overclock dot net.
    This is where i got the working nvflash. Do you think it is a good choice to use one of thos?
    If so, they give me 2 bios.roms one saying 330w and the other saying 358w. What one would be best as im just trying to get the thing to run on my comp atm.

8. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well technically the 1080Ti already runs on your computer :D

I guess you can start out with the lower TPD vBIOS (330W), and see what the temps are doing, then try the bigger one.
    If you go for the 385W BIOS right away make sure you set the right fan curves to counter any temperature throttling. But I personally would go for the 330W first.

9. iMap_Control

iMap_Control Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780/1080ti
    I took a shot at the 358W bios because i felt like i was on a winning streak...

Happenings sofar:
    After flashing to the new bios I shutdown the comp, removed the power from psu, and took out the 780 leaving the 1080 in. Restarted and I had the same problem as before the flash. i.e. no video feed out of any of the outputs. Wile getting a dr. Debug B2 error.
    I figured maybe i should switch pcie slots to the one where the 780 was.
    I did the switch and there was no change. Still no video feed still reporting b2 error.
    So now im looking at taking the 1080 out and the 780 in as to take a look at my mobo bios.
    Im thinking that i may of just needed the latest bios for that to clear things up. If not then im most likely going to give up and try to return the card/build a new comp...

10. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    As I've done a little reading on the net, I have to ask, did you change the PCIe config to 3.0 in the BIOS before you put the 1080Ti in? Seems that could cause issues if it was run on 2.0 by default (see HERE).
    Did you check if your mainboard is running the latest BIOS itself, for best compatability (the time difference is 2012 to 2017, might need a bit of help working with newer GPUs).

What always can help is reseating a GPU (which you probably did already), and in some cases, clearing the BIOS via removing the CMOS battery. But that should be the last resort.
    Do you have any chance to try and see if the 1080Ti is even running and working in another, probably more recently built rig of a friend / family member?

11. iMap_Control

iMap_Control Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780/1080ti
    The fact that it was in pcie 2.0 off the start was right but my problem is the 780 that i use to see the screen with will not work on gen 3 even when i set it to that it goes back to gen 2. So im not sure how to go about that. I did how ever update the bios on the mainboard from 3.00 to 3.30
    I just flashed it a min ago and im going to try and set the pcie to gen 3.
    Shutdown and pop in the 1080 ti and say a few magic words before hitting the power button and hope for a video feed.

Also i have not tryed the card in any other comp yet.

12. iMap_Control

iMap_Control Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780/1080ti
    I think the problem is my motherboard. When i try to save bios with pcie gen3 on any of the pcie lanes it shuts off and and will not turn back on untill i clmos button. Doing that defaults all lanes back to pcie gen2.
    Ive even saved it to gen 3, and took the gpu out to see if it would even power up. It would not sadly. So i believe im gonna have to find a mother board compatible with all my stuff plus the 1080ti.
    Any suggestions on a brand that is reliable? This was my first build and i kinda just bought the highest priced stuff at the time. Seems like a bad idea now...

13. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Before getting a new mainboard you could also try changing the CMOS battery. Not saving changed BIOS settings seems to be the issue here. Changing the battery might help and is rather cheep and quick to try out, at least the 780 gives you a usable PC for the time being.
    Besides that, "legacy" hardware like this is hard to come by and can be really costly.

14. iMap_Control

iMap_Control Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780/1080ti
    I will try and change the battery, I dont have one on hand so ill have to get one. its just the quarter sized round battery correct? i can grab one from walmart or something.

The not saving of bios settings im not sure thats whats going on. It shuts off when changing to pcie gen3 yes. If i change other things like enabling or disabling the infrared port or change a chassie fan setting it will save it and boot up as it should. Maybe the pci gen3 switch is most tasking on the battery or something.
    As for continueing to use the 780... the reason i have the 1080 atm is becauae i get random shut off's wile the gpu is under load.

And I dont know if its possible for the card to be resting in a gen 2 state and trying to flip to gen3 when being stressed.

15. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yes, it's more or less a standard battery, shouldn't cost a fortune.
    How old is your PSU btw? Since you mention you get random shut offs under load...

16. iMap_Control

iMap_Control Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780/1080ti
    All the parts were bought at about the same time, maybe 3 years ago.

Also i think ive found the problem child...
    Says supports pcie 2.0 not 3.0 so im guessing something with that =/
    Im thinking of getting the 4930k as a replacement.

https://ark.intel.com/products/63697/Intel-Core-i7-3930K-Processor-12M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  17. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Of course, that's one thing I didn't check, if CPU / mainboard are actually PCIe 3.0 complyant.
    I'm not sure you need PCIe 3.0 though, since technically the transfer rate of 2.0x16 and 3.0x8 should be enough to run a 1080Ti I think.
    The difference between the two shouldn't be more than 10%, and that only in a few games, the rest's supposed to run more or less the same.
    So if you get the 1080Ti to run at 2.0x16, with the BIOS you want, until you upgrade your CPU/MB to something more modern at some later point.

18. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
  19. iMap_Control

iMap_Control Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780/1080ti
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2017