New Denuvo protection lasts longer than its predecessors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 28, 2017.

1. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I used to pirate games when I was in my teens and had no money. Back then, I couldn't afford those games anyways so it's like they lost money because of me (however, I did end up paying what little money I had for a game that I really liked). Now that I have a stable, well-paying job I buy all my games. This isn't out of principle of anything like that though - it's just that I can afford them now and it's the most convenient method (especially with online platforms like Steam).

Most of the games in my Steam library are FPS games. It's my favorite genre, but this didn't develop overnight - my love affair with FPS stems back to my early days when I played pirated versions of Wolf 3D and Doom. If this early exposure didn't happen then my Steam library would probably look very different (or perhaps wouldn't exist at all). I also used to play games like Tomb Raider and certain RTS games (mostly Blizzard) and that heavily influenced my decisions to buy games like Warcraft 3 and the recent Tomb Raider games. People tend to stick to what they know so developing a relationship with gamers in their early years works to a company's advantage. It seems to me that this anti-piracy stuff is about maximizing short-term profits at the expense of long-term gains.

2. drwoodcomb

drwoodcomb Member

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti 6GB

I dont pirate games and I'm not here to judge but for you to say that the only reason you pirated Witcher 3 was because you wanted to try it out seems like a pretty ridiculous excuse. Steam as well as most other online game distribution platforms allow you to return a game if you dont like it. Its nice that you decided to support them after playing it but why was it necessary for you to pirate the game in order to try it out?

3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    You can't do this every time. If you treat the refund system as a way to demo games and do it all the time, you are going to get banned from future refunds.

cryohellinc and xIcarus like this.
  4. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    I'm confused. I said that piracy is not so bad; those studies you posted support what I was saying, I've even seen them before and they're the reason I have this view about piracy.
    Yet you said I was wrong. Did you change your mind or did I miss something?

Like RealNC said, I'd rather not abuse the refund system as I can get banned from it.
    And I'm going to repeat this for the 3rd time, as long as we don't have a real way of trying out the product before buying I'm always going to pirate if I'm unsure about a game.

I have the feeling people here have preconceptions against piracy. It's not even remotely as bad as you people seem to think. I hate to say this but I think big corporations have been successful in their mad rants against piracy and about how much money it's supposedly making them lose.
    Just gaze over the articles cryohellinc posted. I'm very surprised that as consumers, you're worried about corporations losing money. Or rather, inflating their own asses about how much money they're losing.

vonSternberg likes this.

5. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    You asked for statistics, there they are. Stop confusing yourself. :cool:

6. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Let me remind you what you wrote.

None of your statistics support that.

7. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    No need, I know what I wrote. Seems like you just want to pointlessly banter.
    They do, as I mentioned earlier, dig in yourself and do the research.

8. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Say what now?

I dug into the subject even before asking you for statistics, on your recommendation. The reason I asked you to post them is because I couldn't find anything that proved me wrong.
    You on the other hand said I'm wrong and posted something which proves me right; and now it's up to me to prove myself wrong?

If you have evidence that proves me wrong, go right ahead and post it because so far your claim has 0 substance. All you did was beat around the bush. Your accusation about pointless banter is also ironic since you're avoiding to back up your claims.

9. kaz050

kaz050 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 FTW RGB
    GTA V was cracked and look at all the money in just poors in and they keep on milking it, in the end its just a cat and mouse game buyers vs pirates, and if this denuvo never gets cracked and used in all games the buyers will only then point fingers at devs and Lootboxs because then they have no pirates to put the blame on.

10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I understand your frustration but HBO/Netflix and most other subscription companies are the same :) Try one month and then your subscription is automatically renewed each month.

You are right that EA is crap which is why I feel sorry for the few good games that are on Origin - like Titanfall 2. Everyone says the campaign is really good. I first thought about buying one month of Origin just to finis the campaign but now I think I'll buy the whole game so Respawn gets their share.

11. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Well Netflix at least makes it quite clear that you're on a recurring subscription; my gf had a one month Netflix subscription a while back and she knew right from the get go that she has to cancel the sub before the month is over.

And yes, it's pretty sad about the games that are actually good which get published by *bags like EA. You want to support the developer and have no choice but to support EA as well.

12. vonSternberg

vonSternberg Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 560D
    I bet pirates don't even want to crack Assassin's Creed anymore, regardless of Denuvo.

13. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    You're part of the problem, the main problem, you're pirating games. You don't have a right to pirate a game & then only pay for it once you deem it worthy. The reason why companies are applying DRM is because of people like you, if you lack moral compass or the self control to buy the game when on sale, then that's your problem, don't make it everyone else's by pirating the game.

14. vonSternberg

vonSternberg Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 560D
    The companies could also provide demos, you know...

15. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Yes, that would be good if it was more common practice, but I find that reading reviews of games is a good enough indication to me whether I will like a game or not - I very rarely have buyers remorse. And as someone else said in this thread, on the rare occasion that you realise you don't like a game (after doing the research of game reviews before hand), then you can get a refund if you've played under X hours of the game. I don't really see a problem, but I do see the problem of pirating. Pirating is causing the issue, I don't think there are any excuses for it.

16. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Oh boo procreating hoo, now I'm a monster because I want to avoid getting ripped off? Did you catch the part where an AAA game is 12% of a Romanian's average salary? Yeah, I have the feeling that if you had to pay so much for just one game you'd be more careful with your money.

If games were reasonably cheap like they are for Americans (2% of an average salary) I'd buy them right off the bat and not even regret it. It would be like pocket change.

And I have no idea how you can compare demos to reviews, for example there are many games with a high score on metacritic which I absolutely don't like. Diablo 3 is the best example, I absolutely loathe that game. I'm just supposed to buy the game to try it out? Hell no.
    Instead, Need For Speed 2015 had a demo. Played it. Didn't like it. Appreciated the fact that a demo existed. Saved 60EUR.
    Mass Effect: Andromeda had a trial on Origin Access. Bought Origin Access for 4EUR. Played the demo. Didn't like it. Saved 54EUR. Other games that I was actually interested in I bought right off the bat, like DX:MD.

You see, demos are the best method of trying out a game. In their absence, piracy fulfils the exact same role; it doesn't matter if the big corporations convinced you that they're losing a crapton of money. There's absolutely no proof that's the case, quite the contrary. Piracy seems to somewhat help sales, probably due to the fact that people discover new games which are out of their comfort zone and end up buying them just like I did with TW3.

You know, I don't think I'm part of the problem; I think you are. You think that it's ok to just bend over and accept whatever they throw at you. Let me ask you something, why do you think demos barely exist anymore? I'll tell you why, it's because they can work less and get away with more. And you can't think past your silly moral high ground imposed by the corporations. You say I don't have the moral compass to not pirate games, but where's the procreating moral compass in their loot boxes bro? Kids are buying that crap and spending all their pocket money on them because they're addicted. And you're defending them from people like me? Good lord!

Would you buy a house before going to see it first? No? Good. Then why are you judging people who want to try out games before they buy?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    Netherwind and HonoredShadow like this.
  17. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I still disagree, I don't think there are any excuses for piracy, I've said all I have to say in my previous 2 posts.

18. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    It's ok to disagree and I respect your decision. I just don't think justifying piracy by means of morality is logical when there's 'blood' on both sides' hands.

19. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    One moral wrong does not make another moral wrong a right. Piracy doesn't exist for you to try out "demos" of a game; perhaps that's what you do. Others have suggested alternative options, such as Steam refunds, sales, etc... You keep harping on about paying the full price of a AAA game when I know I have never paid $60 in the last few years for any of the games I have played because I play it smart and either buy shortly after release at a discount or buy later when prices are low enough. Gaming is a luxury, not a necessity. And there are loads of F2P / low cost massively popular games which millions are on exactly for that reason and for reasons of competitive gameplay.

Whatever argument you use to support the "benefits" of piracy, make sure you're not justifying it because developers are shafting us and this is some sort of "revenge" one exacts by pirating their games.

Your money speaks. Boycott games that demonstrate behavior you deem irresponsible / lazy / wrong. Don't pirate to punish, a boycott means you forego your right to the product in order to object to the producer's ethos.

Even if piracy is beneficial, the benefit is an accident, not the target, of piracy. Any perceived or actual benefits of piracy to the developer does not alter its moral wrong; rather, it demonstrates a phenomenon whereby making a product massively accessible to different categories of people makes that product even more popular. That can be achieved by means of a demo / cut-down version / time-limited trial / game sharing. It doesn't have to be piracy. Steam and other digital distribution platforms solved the problem of accessibility and, to an extent, price. Developers are partnering left and right with coupon programs and other distributors like GMG and GOG. I've yet to see a game so remotely inaccessible that I understood why it would be pirated. Even online-only games like Battlefield - they are regularly on sale.

There's no excuse nowadays. Also, you don't get the same access as if you had pirated the game when you share it with someone else - that's nonsense. A main incentive in buying a game is when you can share it with someone else. You don't just happen to make a friend who has a huge Steam library then get access to the game for free - nevertheless, a game he paid for. You cooperate in buying games that you mostly play where he can borrow access and vice versa. Publishers understand this and this also helps their sales - Steam does not even protect against going offline then playing a game while someone else is online with your Steam account playing whatever they please. They realize that the main incentive to having your own account solely is online multi-player. They don't care otherwise, nor do the game developers.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  20. ZippingPear

ZippingPear Guest

GPU:
    16 GB
    I've pirated well over 100 games in my life (probably around 300-400). Most of the games I pirate, I uninstall after less than 1 hour of playing because they don't interest me. Right now, I have 68 games in my steam library, only one of which is free to play. I've spent about $2500 on steam, about $1000 of which was on that one free to play game. The point is, I don't buy games without at least trying them. There are currently only 2 ways you can actually try most games. You can either pirate, or buy the game on steam and rely on the steam's refund policy. I pirate single player games and rely on steam's refund policy for multiplayer games. While everyone pirates for a different reason, I can safely say that if it wasn't for pirating I wouldn't have spent anywhere close to this amount on games and probably neither on hardware. So I won't blindly accept the notion that pirating hurts game sales without seeing some solid statistics and data analysis proving the case.