Spotted: Ryzen 3 1200 CPU with Eight Active CPU Cores Enabled

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    Lucky guy

3. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    "Users now call the unlocked Ryzen processors Lootboxes, in a positive manner :)"
    :D

thatguy91 and sverek like this.
  4. 2901BitSlice

2901BitSlice Guest

GPU:
    HD-5450
    It appears the guy in Dresden in charge of disabling cores decided to mark this batch as done and then clocked out. :)

schmidtbag likes this.

5. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I think the way that AMD creates the Zen cores makes such accidents inevitable. A simple sorting issue and you have a bunch of CPUs with more cores than you bargained for (in a good way). Must be nice for the lucky few.

6. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
    Well that is some yuuuuge silicon lottery win :):):):)

7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Can't help but think AMD slips one of these CPUs by 'accident' into market every now and then... :p

Cost of one CPU vs. the potential purchases of new CPUs as people hope to win the silicon lottery... smart!

8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    As long as people don't shift to buying the cheap models believing they will get lucky.

9. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    That was a good one indeed. :)

Silva likes this.
  10. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017

11. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Ok... I just hope AMD doesn't introduce gambling to CPUs with Zen 2.

But seriously how is this professional? I understand there difference with overclocking, but core count puts huge gap in equality between consumers.

12. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Naw they wont, this type of thing could be as simple as a misaligned laser cut. if anything it shows amd's QA testing is lacking.

13. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    It also lend some support to the early notion that when they said they had ~80% yields that they were referring to perfect dies not just useable.

14. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Lucky *beep*, could have been me.

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    What I don't fully understand is how the CPU is still recognized as a 1200, or how the additional cores remain functional. There are no Ryzens with 8 cores and no SMT, let alone R3s with more than 4 cores. What I'm getting at is if the CPU's hardware doesn't match the microcode, how can all 8 cores function? To put it in another perspective:
    Let's say you bought a car that normally comes with a V6, but for whatever reason the one you got had a V8. The ECU is only programmed to handle a V6, so the extra 2 cylinders would basically do nothing. They're still moving due to being part of the same crank and they might even still receive fuel or air, but they aren't productive.

And yes, I understand that if this were to somehow happen, the engine would fail to run since the timings of a V6 are different from a V8 - this is just hypothetical.

Yeah seriously, back in the Athlon/Phenom II days, it was considered a big win to unlock a triple core with 4 fully-functional cores, and hitting the jackpot if you unlocked a dual core into a quad. But to go from 4 to 8 cores without even trying is crazy luck

16. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
    I think there is no microcode with AMD processors just burn-in serial number with which motherboard then "recognize" processor and gives it name for instance R3 1200.I remember that AMD introduced that serial numbers after bunch of fakes flooded market, basically some guys in Taiwan were buying bunch of lover clocked processors for example Athlon XP1500+, 1600+,1700+ and then they overclocked them and slapped new label XP2600+,3000+ ... and sell them at premium price. I had bought one of those Phenom's . X2 555 if i remember correctly hoping to unlock extra cores, no luck :D:D:D stuck on 2 cores wouldn't move note a cm but hey at least it overclocked like a little demon :):)

17. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Damn that guy is lucky. Having an i5 style CPU (what I mean by that is no hyperthreading) with double the cores and threads of the r3 1200. Man this guy got a great deal an 8 core CPU for $100 bucks.
    Reminds me of some of the Phenom II X4 Cpus that could be turned into X6's by unlocking 2 cores and the same goes with the X3's into X4's by unlocking 1 core.

18. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Impressive,this 4 cores R3 1200 vs 8 cores.

But,unfortunatelly,is worst than Pentium G4560 in Cpuz. (from other site)
    In Cinebench 15 looks good.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  19. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I dare say the lower processors are binned, unless the same cores are always activated. Possibly in the future they'll make them out of APU variants where the GPU cores don't cut muster.