Samsung is working on a graphene battery that charges five times faster

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 27, 2017.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Graphene batteries are known to not to show any signs of significant degredation after thousands of charges. I wasn't kidding earlier when I said it was like a miracle material.

I'm not sure whether Samsung's batteries will compete with more pure models created in labs, but I would be surprised if their first generation ends up having any disadvantages to Li-Ion, except for maybe cost. Even if Samsung manges to find a cheaper way to produce graphene-based batteries, they're still going to be more expensive.

2. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Perhaps some of you forgot the Note 7 problems and worldwide recall ...
    Samsung lost billions of $ on that.

It makes sense why they want to avoid such problems FOREVER, by investing money into new battery tech which is safe from the always-potentially-dangerous Li-Ion.

Having faster recharge and more capacity is just a bonus to the consumer... but for Samsung it's about not risking their reputation (and money) again.

3. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Current battery tech always have an imposed risk. There are safety measures and decades of experience behind them, so I'd say we're ok with the risks for the benefits.
    The actual problem is the stupid trend of making devices slimmer and slimmer. They're making this phone with a huge power hungry display and don't want it to weight anything or be thicker than the last model.
    So they ****** up the design and gave the battery no tolerances, witch in turn made it rupture and explode.
    Why do phones have to keep getting bigger and slimmer? If I want a big screen I have a tablet, I can't fit a 5'' or more phone on my pocket...

schmidtbag likes this.
  4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I couldn't agree more. I'm really hating these stupid fads of making things thinner, glossier, and whatever convoluted definition of "more convenient" or "cool" that companies make. If these attributes are a side effect of progress, then I am totally in favor of them. But if I have to make any sacrifices that I did not say I wanted to make, it's stupid.
    For example:
    Weakening the battery in order to make the phone thinner = bad
    Using an OLED display to make the phone thinner = good
    Having a shatter-prone all-glass screen wrap around the edge just to remove bezels that my hand or silicone protector is going to cover up anyway = bad
    Removing unneeded buttons, switches, and connectors on the edges resulting in smaller bezels = good
    Make the screen bigger just to add more pixels = bad
    Replace bottom buttons to make the screen bigger = good
    Use interpolation to add more camera MP because "moar iz better" = bad
    Include a "worse" camera that is actually the resolution it claims to be = good
    Removing things like headphone jacks for "simplicity" or "elegance" = bad
    Removing things for the sake of water-proofing = good

Silva likes this.

5. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I consider this to be the Apple effect. Apple sets the trend for the smartphone industry, and they are obsessed with making things thinner and simpler. Other companies follow Apple's lead, putting form over function, to the detriment of consumers. My previous two phones, a Galaxy S6 and Nexus 5, could barely hold a charge and I really wish phone makers would take a different path. I mean, I wouldn't mind a phone that's a bit thicker if it had double the battery life, and I bet a lot of other people would make that trade as well (including iPhone users). One of the reasons why I got a Galaxy S8+ (over the S8) is the larger battery, and this is the first Android phone I've used with has a decent battery life.

New battery technologies are good and all, but my guess is that phone manufacturers would just use it as an excuse to make even thinner phones ("lasts just as long as our previous phone, but is 50% thinner!"). As long as thinness is the primary design goal, we will always see terrible battery life on our mobile devices.

Silva and schmidtbag like this.
  6. Vtech

Vtech Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    The question we should ask is, Does the battery expand while charging?

7. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    If the battery heats up, absolutely it will. The thing is, what makes a battery dangerous is lithium. So as long as a battery uses that, it will always be dangerous.

8. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    lol, cause we dont have that kind of battery capability.
    wait we do.
    just look at lipos for RC stuff. i can charge decent quality ones at 2-5C (capacity 2-4000 mAh), which means a batteries is fully charged in about 15min (from completely drained).
    and the quality ones dont even get too hot..