Overall GPU Shipments Increased 9.3% From Last Quarter, AMD 8% Nvidia 30%

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Does that mean that if all PCs equal 100%, 44% of them have a dedicated GPU also? If so it would only show what a waste of resources, die space, and money an iGPU is for 44% of the users.

Only if I understood that correctly, though.

schmidtbag and rl66 like this.
  3. Yuri57

Yuri57 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 1070 8GB STRIX
    It has nohing to do with crypto currency or gaming...

All the cloud service providers and HPC-s are upgrading to Volta.

4. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    you are right but it's not a waste as it's only an extra if you don't need dedicated GPU.
    also as seen on AMD with and without IGP on FM2: the money saved is really low

fantaskarsef likes this.

5. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    You are probably right. Money saved is low, but wouldn't it make sense with high margins (mainstream CPUs like Intels mainstream platforms) to save Intel that money, not us customers?
    I mean, we're talking about millions of CPUs, literally football fields of die space that could be saved. I just thought it read like a huge margin to save, just my impression.

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    At least in recent years, I find there to be an interesting correlation between Intel vs Nvidia marketshare.

I wouldn't say 100% of those 44% of users have their IGP go to waste. For example if this chart includes laptops (which it probably does) then Optimus/Enduro users are likely treated as Nvidia/AMD users, even though most of the time they probably use the Intel graphics.

Meanwhile, there are also some people who have many-display setups, where you use the Intel graphics to drive additional monitors that your discrete GPU doesn't have the connectors for.

Lastly, there are also the very niche users, who may primarily use a discrete GPU, but the Intel graphics are used for things like OpenCL or in REALLY niche cases, a hypervisor.

But otherwise, yes, the IGP is (in most cases) a waste of space, and it irritates me that users are paying for a good chunk of silicon that they may never use. This is usually why if I go for Intel with a discrete GPU, I tend to focus on Xeons, where many models trade the IGP for a bigger cache, among other features.

EDIT:
    If maybe 2-3 years ago Intel released an overclockable 6-core i5 without an IGP (and in turn, lowering the price of it) I'd have bought it. Personally, I think all of their K series CPUs shouldn't contain IGPs.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  7. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Yeah that Karl Marx, he loved generating cash on his abacus...his friends called him Karl Marks...

8. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I wholeheartedly agree.