387.92 driver - Error 43 caused by a modified vBIOS?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by maxio, Oct 9, 2017.

1. CMDRZOD

CMDRZOD Guest

GPU:
    2x 1080Ti
  2. Flybyderp

Flybyderp Guest

GPU:
    AMP! Extreme 980 TI
    You remove tweaks to P00,P02 states it causes your GPU to not go over the default voltage.

Could go up to 1274mV before, can't go above 1230mV now with tweak to P00,P02 states altered back to default.

EDIT: NVM, you need to make sure you have the hidden voltage sliders, this fixed my voltage issue, everything working 100% now.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  3. Angushades

Angushades Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 OC
    Same problem here modded 980ti

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Read the thread.

5. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    Not noticed anyone mention Titan X Maxwell so I'll chime in and confirm that the problem occurs here too.

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Did you read the thread?

It's nothing to do with 980ti, it's every single maxwell GPU that has incorrectly modified vbios.

7. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    I gave it a more thorough read and after referencing the nvidia forum thread I reset the voltage as instructed and succesfully installed the latest drivers with a new bios flash.

8. Jonny93

Jonny93 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Just thought I would share my story as well.

So I had custom Bios on my 980 Ti G1 gaming and they have been running with 0 issues on all drivers that are older than 387.92. I install 388.0 and boom, error 43. I reinstall windows just to make sure it's nvidia's awesome drivers and yup, same issue after fresh windows install. So what I did is I flashed custom Bios from Max Unleashed on overclock.net and the card works flawlessly after that. Played wolfenstein for at least 2 hours straight with a decent overclock and had 0 issues. That was 2 days ago. Now yesterday, I had had 0 issues during the day just casually browsing and watching youtube videos. I decided to play some PUBG at night so I ran the game waiting for my other 2 friends to finish while the game ran in the background for about 5 minutes, and all of a sudden. Blank screen crash with audio hanging. From that moment, the card had been dead and no matter what Bios i used on it. It would make it to windows but crash in any 3D application. After numerous tries including flashing to original out of the box bios that the card came with, it only got worse and now I get no signal on the screen, not even the motherboard POST. Using a DVI-D cable, it shows the motherboard logo and lets me get into bios but with a lot of artifacting and then blank screen after about 20 seconds. I can still see the GPU being detected in windows while using onboard graphics but I'm pretty sure it's completely dead and I have to thank nvidia for making that possible through their drivers. The graphics card is watercooled btw.

9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Read the thread.

NV is not at fault here.

Any card with incorrectly modified vbios gets the code 43.
    Nothing to do with NV artificially blocking it or trying to kill cards; they changed some things to get better power efficiency regarding p states.

This is what happens when someone makes a vbios editor and released it into the wild; a bunch of people who don't know what most settings do and blindly change the wrong things.

As for your issue, considering MAX unleashed also locks the voltage to the max 1.29v~(Which is stupid btw), that alone is asking for issues.

You need to try to flash default vbios and go from there..
    Nvidia is not at fault here.

10. Besthum

Besthum Guest

GPU:
    5970 HD
    Hello, i too have problems with new drivers, perhaps someone could help me.
    I have gtx 980 and when i got it few years ago i had driver stop responding errors, i searched for solutions and one of them was tweaking bios. With no idea what im doing i copied values and updated bios. All these years driver not responding never occured.
    So now i had to revert to default bios to install new drivers. Everything works fine, but im getting driver stopped responding errors again.
    Could someone please help me modify bios so new drivers would work and i'd get same effect as my old modified bios?
    Link to modified bios which doesnt work with current drivers: http://www113.zippyshare.com/v/63tMluLg/file.html
    Default bios: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/165933/gigabyte-gtx980-4096-141007

11. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20

http://www.filedropper.com/gigabytegtx9804096141023updgop

There is your updated vbios.

The only thing i see you changed is trying to set a voltage of 1.218v

Be sure to reset your OC as i changed the default clocks to 1405 max.

Most cards should easily do that clock speed but if you have any issues we could lower it.

12. Besthum

Besthum Guest

GPU:
    5970 HD
    Thanks a lot. Installed this bios and removed OC from core clock. Should i remove OC from memory clock as well?
    Hopefully this fixed my issues.

13. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Memory is unchanged.

Just the core clock was changed; I don't know what core clock you OC to before, but it's set to 1405mhz now.

If crashes are gone you can dial memory back up.

14. Flisan

Flisan Active Member

GPU:
    980Ti SLI
    The bottom line is, you can't force constant voltage with the new drivers (since 385.69) in the bios. And that causing problem for me since the voltage never goes over 1.106 when i'm pushing the cards.

15. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    That is incorrect; the problem was incorrect voltage modification that affects multiple pstates

It is still possible to have a specific forced 3d voltage.

16. Flisan

Flisan Active Member

GPU:
    980Ti SLI
    Nope. You gave it a try with your bios that you sent me, but that as well failed :D

17. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Wrong.

In fact, i gave you the one i use for my EVGA 980Ti, which is verified working.

More than likely yours got mixed up with the dozen other requests.

Edit: Actually read through it again, despite my asking of your vbios files you never gave them.
    I had to pull a random one from TPU, more than likely a compatibility issue.

You not being able to boot does not mean static 3d load voltage isn't possible.

Considering I've done dozens of requests and the fact that I've owned quite a few maxwell cards, I'm pretty sure static voltage is possible from my first hand experience ;)

Yep, double checked that vbios. It's for an ACX2.0 Classified, of course it doesn't work

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  18. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  19. Flisan

Flisan Active Member

GPU:
    980Ti SLI
  20. Flisan

Flisan Active Member

GPU:
    980Ti SLI
    Sorry to say it still doesn't work. Yes, the drivers are working now without the exclamation, but the voltage never goes above 1.055 in 3D, so it always ends up with a frozen computer