Intel Halts Certain UEFI BIOS Class Level 2 Compatibility Modes In 2020

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    Dont care as long as i can install/run 7, and i might not even be on intel at that time,
    which still a bit out anyway.

3. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    the step would surely make a lot of sense, in terms of $, for for the greediest of them all - m$ and it's satellites...

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I disabled CSM after I upgraded from Win7 to Win8.1.

I don`t understand about what greed DLD writes.

5. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    @mbk
    The Evil Empire, widely known as m$ is trying all that is possible to prevent/discourage people from using op systems other than window$ (and the "old", "obsolete" win versions too). One of the deceptive strategies is to persuade hardware manufacturers (that is, twisting their arms, bribing etc.) to come up with such "inventions" that would prevent (or make it more expensive) the use of, say Linux or/and iOS, as either only or primary or secondary OS within the same PC where window$ resides. Another benefit (for the Empire) is to make so-called cracking harder to implement (under a pretense of being concerned with the software's "safety").
    Why (you may wonder)? Because that miserable, butterfly-looking pickpocket who owns m$ got obsessed with the idea of ruling the world, that's why...

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    NAMEk likes this.
  6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @DLD Funny... Linux supports UEFI better and faster than Windows.

7. Raplapla

Raplapla Member

GPU:
    -
    What would make sense security-wise is to drop UEFI, not legacy BIOS…
    Anyway that’s another reason not to buy Intel hardware anymore. I just hope AMD doesn’t follow too quickly :(.
    And yeah, not too fond of secure boot either, as a Linux user.

8. TieSKey

TieSKey Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx870m 3Gb
    To be a little more concise than DLD (although I agree 100% with what he is saying :p).

There is still a bunch of OSes with no UEFI support, some old ones like XP some not that old. If csm is removed from the bios u won't be able to boot those OSes, period.

Then there is the "secure" boot mess.... "secure" boot makes it so only digitally signed code can be booted to. The problem here is that code has to be signed against a pre-installed certificate in the bios itself (installing custom certificates is usually locked out or very, very inconvenient) and the original owner of the certificates is MS. Is up to the mb manufacturers to include more certificates but they are not immune to external pressure, if Intel wants it, it can "convince" them to only ship X certificate or the chipset will be more expensive/refuse to work at all.

As an example, upon the release of UEFI a couple years ago, Ubuntu (a linux distribution) had to reach to MS to sign they own code..... that's a monopolistic, greedy and very dangerous situation that consumers should avoid at all costs.

Edit: Interesting read: https://blog.hansenpartnership.com/adventures-in-microsoft-uefi-signing/

Raplapla likes this.
  9. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    TieSkey>>>Spot on!
    The general tendency in the contemporary world: small people getting smaller and big brother is getting bigger. Companies show less and less care about customers' needs and demands. Society is being more and more supervised, controlled, directed, instructed on what to do, how to feel... H. David. Thoreau, Jack London, F. Kafka, Aldous Huxley, George Orwell (to name a few) alarmed us in time, but the inherent logic and the dynamics of the development of the civilization are hard to beat.

NAMEk and Raplapla like this.
  10. SSD_PRO

SSD_PRO Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    You refer to Ballmer or shareholders in general? I assume not Gates since he isn't the largest single shareholder in MS anymore... Ballmer is. I am not sure which one looks more like a butterfly or pickpocket.

This is simple stuff - if you want to use Linux, use it. If you want to use Windows, use it. I don't understand why there is any need to whine or fight. If you can't do what you need to do with one OS you need to sort out your own issues.

11. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
    Well that is a problem you see,i am using other OS (linux) and older win7(for games) in dual boot.What this news mean is that of 2020 i probably would not be able to do that.Granted even today with that "secure boot" is major hassle because there is just one certified vendor of secure OS and that is of course Microsoft,and before you tell me that is other OS's fault for not certifying they can't,read around Web for better understanding situation.

Raplapla likes this.
  12. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    Yeah, yeah, Mr. SSD_bot, but of course...If I could only manage to sort out bots... Anybody who ever saw an interview with BigBadBilly would know who I mean under the "butterfly" - the guy who waves his arms as if trying to fly out of his chair...

Now, the greedy scumbag decided to charge for the use of HEVC :
    https://goo.gl/vofhCg

NAMEk likes this.
  13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Why? Only new motherboards will ship with new version of UEFI, so you can use older ones for whatever you want.

PS And the list of operating systems with UEFI support:
    • Linux
    • HP-UX
    • HP OpenVMS
    • Mac OS
    • FreeBSD
    • Solaris
    • OpenBSD
    Obviously platforms on which these OSs can work support UEFI. You all are just average users of consumer PCs, but for server side of life UEFI offered much much more.
    For consumer PCs usage of UEFI permitted much more wide unified modding due to standartization and unification.

As for Secure Boot, I don`t know about yours motherboards but on mine it can be switched off.

14. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    And at that point, you should probably have a different machine for tasks regarding old OSs

15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I just have impression that these guys think that they loose ability to use old OSs on the fly with their current rigs.

16. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
    Well i am on older one currently (AM3+ :);)) and i would want little bit more power that means i need to upgrade or in my case buy whole new system,and then there is that pesky stuff about new features meaning new USB,DDR standard,PCIE what ever number it is going to be in 2020 and beyond,that i would like to use.And then 2021 or 2022 or any year after 2020 there is going to be faster processors and host of new features that i would like to use,and if they shut down compatibility mode and don't allow new keys for other OS's what then?? or if mobo mfg. conveniently forget to add option to disable secure boot ( that thing already happen couple times) ??

17. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I thought that as well.

18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Operating Systems become outdated too. There are portions in kernel that can`t be hardware/CPU independent. And when new Operating Systems utilize new features of hardware/CPUs I am only glad.
    Linux as OS is much more dynamic than Windows. So obviously they will support any UEFI versions in the future.

19. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
    And yes to some degree even it is about ability to use old OS on the fly,but it is just that to some degree,more important issue is compatibility with other OS and very very reasonable fear about shutting down options to boot other OS's,to be clear ability to boot older windows to me at least is secondary .

20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I look to UEFI from technical point of view, and it is a coolest thing comparing to legacy BIOS.
    May be you are too young to know but in earlier days modding the BIOS was a sacred mystic art available to a chosen Ones. Now with UEFI you can use special tools and just modules discovered by interested guys like you.
    Also that POST times of 20-30 seconds in old days. Now we have desktop ready for your mouse clicking in that time.

I agree with all of you that the usage of UEFI by certain companies is not welcome.

Attempt to clear "on the fly": I meant that your current (old) rig can`t loose ability to boot old/other OSs just because new version of UEFI is declared.