[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 RS3 - Fall Creators Update - Build 16299.15

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Sep 16, 2017.

1. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Jackalito and LocoDiceGR like this.
  2. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Yea no changelog yet...i hope to see some start menu fixes.

3. KayserKay

KayserKay Member

GPU:
    Palit Super JS GTX 1070
    Improvements and fixes

This update includes quality improvements. No new operating system features are being introduced in this update. Key changes include:

• Addressed issue that causes the Mixed Reality Portal to stop responding on launch.
    • Addressed issue that causes a black screen to appear when you switch between windowed and full-screen modes when playing some Microsoft DirectX games.
    • Addressed a compatibility issue that occurs when you play back a Game DVR PC recording using Android or iOS devices.
    • Addressed issue where the functional keys stop working on Microsoft Designer Keyboards.
    • Addressed issue to ensure that certain USB devices and head-mounted displays (HMD) are enumerated properly after the system wakes up from Connected Standby.
    • Addressed issue where the virtual smart card doesn't assess the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) vulnerability correctly.
    • Addressed issue where Get-StorageJob returns nothing when there are storage jobs running on the machine.
    • Addressed issue where applications based on the Microsoft JET Database Engine (Microsoft Access 2007 and older or non-Microsoft applications) fail when creating or opening Microsoft Excel .xls files. The error message is: “Unexpected error from external database driver (1). (Microsoft JET Database Engine)".
    • Addressed issue where application tiles are missing from the Start menu. Additionally, applications that the Store app show as installed don't appear on the application list of the Start menu. Computers that have Internet connectivity and upgrade on or after November 14, 2017 will receive this preventative solution and avoid this issue. Machines that lack network connectivity or have already encountered this issue should follow the steps in the Microsoft Answers thread “Missing apps after installing Windows 10 Fall Creators Update”. Microsoft will release and document an additional solution in a future release.
    • Addressed issue where Microsoft Edge cannot create a WARP support process and appears to stop responding for up to 3 seconds during a wait timeout. During the timeout period, users cannot navigate or interact with the requested page.
    • Security updates to Microsoft Scripting Engine, Microsoft Edge, Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows kernel, Internet Explorer, and Windows Media Player.
    If you installed earlier updates, only the new fixes contained in this package will be downloaded and installed on your device.

Jackalito likes this.
  4. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Notes are online:

Did a quick restart after updating and the double start of running apps is still with us. Starting to think that some dumb dude at MS consider this "a feature".

5. KayserKay

KayserKay Member

GPU:
    Palit Super JS GTX 1070
    Exclusive Fullscreen still broken!

6. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Keep to set "disable fullscreen optimization" until it get fixed on all games and application that do not work properly on your system.

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    And Start menu still glitches... May be update from CU ruined something in user environment?

8. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I don't have any Start menu glitches on my (2nd) clean install.

9. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    RIP Start menu. XXXX - 2017.

Staying on RS2. :mad:

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Use a proper start menu like SiB or Classic Shell, forget that buggy PoS :D

lucidus likes this.

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Have tried many things to resolve this but what worked (for me and some others) was a simple solution:

Go to settings > accounts > sign-in options > privacy - uncheck 'use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after update or restart'. Reboot.

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Did that way back and no luck. It all goes to that shell-experience-host-smth process which continues to suspend.

13. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It's suspended here and I have no issues with the Start menu.

14. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm still noticing a few annoying like bugs and glitches but mostly this build of Windows (build 16299.64) is running great and has been 100% stable so far since I installed it, what, almost two months ago now as an Insider.

The issues I've noticed are:

1. The Start menu occassionaly doesn't work requiring me to sign out then back in to fix it. That said, this seems to have mostly fixed itself and has only happened once in the last month (though it is still annoying that it even happens at all IMO).

2. System Restore seems to randomly change from 1% disk space usage to 100%, though this may be triggered by Acronis True Image which I use monthly to do backups of my boot SSD (this issue seems to happen every month as far as I can tell). When the issue occurs System Restore can use up to 60 GB of hard drive space (which is how I notice the bug in the first place)!

3. Windows Update shows failed Windows Store App updates under Other for some reason. Not sure why that is but the OCD in me hates to see failed updates listed, especially ones that are not even Windows Update ones in the first place!

4. Perhaps not a Windows 10 bug directly but I've noticed that the Xbox One Elite controller I use in wireless mode sometimes behaves differently in games than the standard Xbox One controller also in wireless mode. I first noticed this issue in the Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2 ports on Steam where the LT and RT buttons don't work and other button mappings are wrong with the Elite controller but the game works fine with the standard one! This issue surfaces again last night when I played the just-released remake of Outcast and found the LT and RT buttons were not registering in the game with the Elite controller. So switched to the standard Xbox One controller and that worked fine.

I believe the firmware versions are different on the two controllers but otherwise they both share the exact same Windows drivers. Why one works fine and the other, the more expensive one I might add, is anyone's guess but I suspect the issue might lie with the Windows drivers.

15. Valerys

Valerys Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2080S
    I have a problem with one of my PCs. I upgraded an 1703 install to 1709 through ISO and everything went fine apparently. The problem is now it doesn't show some of the updates (mostly those that increase win ver number) and in the advanced options of win update it's missing the 'Choose when updates are installed' section. Any idea what should I try? The group policy is clear, nothing was configured there and there's no mentioned of settings being managed by the organization either. Verifying the integrity of the Windows files didn't help either.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    my uncles pc is still sitting on 1607 build

17. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Good.

18. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    I had to install 1511 and turn off updates for a friend who has an x58 mobo i7 950 which is no longer supported by windows 10.

He was on windows 7 but it had problems with his xbox 1 controller and its drivers

19. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    i5 750 here...what are u talking about?

20. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Who told you that Nahlem CPUs are no more supported is a liar. Any x86-64 CPU with CMPXCHG16B, PrefetchW LAHF/SAHF instructions can run the 64-bit version of Windows 10, for x86-ia32 CPUs PAE, NX and SSE2 are required (Clover Trail CPUs are not supported since Version 1703).

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    Jackalito likes this.