Review: Gigabyte X399 DESIGNARE EX Ripping Some Threads

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    chispy and HK-1 like this.
  2. HK-1

HK-1 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580 Power Color
    wow this mobo is awesome I want one for me yesterday :p

3. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Looks good. Good perf numbers, too.

4. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Yeah looks pretty dope! :)

5. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Great review and a nice read. Awesome to see how good out of the box the bios is , platform seems mature enough with little to no issues. Nice full feature rich motherboard , me like !

6. FuriousAngel

FuriousAngel Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4700 OC
    Stay away from Gigabyte mainboards is all I can tell you. Support is horrible. They hardly ever update their BIOSes, Gigabyte software for managing the mainboard is a mess (when it works, when you read their forums you clearly see, it mostly doesn't work). I've had my BIOS selfdestroyed twice already since I bought my AORUS GA-AX370-Gaming K7 in September, it just kills itself when computer is in standby for a long enough time, thanks god it got dual BIOS so you can recover the system and overwrite the broken BIOS that way. No, can't recommend it, was my first and last mainboard from that company.

7. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    this is by far the best looking board gigabyte has ever released with specs to match.
    and although gigabyte's top of the line products are built well and keep to spec, the rest of their boards have spotty at best qc and often go for a cheaper spec than they've advertised. still.

so i'm loving my asrock (entry tier Taichi), but i'd buy msi, asus, and asrock over gigabyte mobo's any day.

8. MrAMD

MrAMD Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1080

Just because you had a bad experience doesn't mean others have. I've been using Gigabyte for many years and only had one experience with a faulty board. RMA'ed went smooth and great for me. I still have that old system too. I've called Gigabyte for raid support and was a good experience.

Agonist likes this.
  9. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Truth. Hell my Gigabyte X58 board was the only one of 5 different ones I had that would do above 210 BLCK with my X5650. A 2.66 6 core @ 4.5ghz with just a h100.
    Ive never had one issue with Gigabyte. Doesnt mean others wont, but AsRock honestly is my favorite. They do more fore less IMHO. Somewhat modern version of DFI. I have had more ASUS boards eff up on me, more then MSI even.

10. FuriousAngel

FuriousAngel Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4700 OC
    Gigabyte Board is full, very full, of people having severe problems with mainboards, specially Ryzen boards, so that's me and many more. From dead or bricked mainboards to hardware not doing what's it supposed to do. Gigabyte was indeed very good years ago, but it's not anymore. Just have a look at drivers dates from their high end Ryzen mainboard. They do one initial release and are done with it.

11. Thunk_It

Thunk_It Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080ti Turbo
    Title of this review is outstanding! :)

12. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    Have used giga boards in nearly every build i have done and have just recently rma a ryzen gaming 3 board. An updated bios killed it. My history with giga on the whole has been good and therefore i will carry on using giga despite their horrible bios, one of the worst layouts, almost kiddish compared to asus. Once a bios is set I do not spend hrs and hrs playing with it.

Now asus on the other hand have let me down terribly, and in the last 2 builds 3 have gone back ' skylake and ryzen. ' The use of asus was that on both builds there were no micro boards at the time from gigabyte. Not defending giga, just telling what has happened to myself

13. HK-1

HK-1 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580 Power Color
    Hi well for irony I see here the new Asus Mobo that looks better thant Gigabyte now I prefer Asus when I have some money lol