Assassin’s Creed Origins

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Thanks for the confirmation, interestingly when it happens if I click LS/RS to enter photo mode it often resets the bug and I can then see normally.

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Same with some of the lighting in tombs, harmless but annoying though clears up once you leave the tomb and it's only a few of them too though I have yet to track down the specific cause of what triggers this particular condition.

3. Reclusive781

Reclusive781 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT
    Again, people said the same thing about 1080p and that ended up not being true.

4. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    It really depends how much attention you pay to the 'jaggies' when playing a game. As much as I cared about the graphics of the games I play - I didn't bother with AA at 1080 when I was on my 24 inch 1080p cuz I just didn't GAS - not noticeable to me.

5. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    its true u need aa at 1080p, but wrong at 1440p TAA 1x is enough, remember u are at 4x higher than 1080

6. Workshed

Workshed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 4GB
    Aliasing is extremely noticeable to me especially in open world games with long draw distance, the stuff in the horizon ends up looking like a mirage if the AA isn't up too par.

That being said I haven't played this particular game yet, thought I got it for free with my CPU. The reason being I need to play Unity and Syndicate first.

I'm personally a big fan of temporal anti-aliasing, as I prefer a smoother, softer image that is more film-like, rather than one with very hard edges with the typical "computer graphics" look.

7. Reclusive781

Reclusive781 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT
    annnd again, people said the same thing about 1080p.

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Okay, I just found out something really strange and I was hoping someone could confirm this (maybe it's been mentioned in this thread before?).

I was running around the Giza area on my 1440p/144Hz monitor where I use the Ultra Preset but with Shadows/Environmental/AO down one notch and AA/DoF off. I have gotten used to the jaggies and I always thought the AA in this game just blurs the whole scene but I just thought to myself, why not try AA again for a short moment just for fun. I turned it on and ran around for a while, then I noticed something strange with my FPS, it was higher than it usual (I have MSI AB OSD enabled). So I stood in one place and let the FPS settle, and then turned AA off and saw a pretty massive dip in FPS (yes dip). What the hell?

Standing in one particular spot, I got 115fps with AA Enabled (Low). Then I turned off AA and the FPS jumped down to ~100FPS meaning it's a 15fps gain to have AA enabled. Now, I didn't try the other AA settings but isn't it really strange? Can someone else try this? I should really try the other AA settings as well but the reason why I played without AA is because it feels like when turned on AA, the scene looks almost...downsampled. If this is indeed true it would explain the FPS drop?

I obviously had to try playing the game at 4K/60fps/High Preset which up to this point was quite difficult. When I have AA disabled I cannot hold 60 for too long before I get a dip to 55 or slightly lower but with AA at Low I keep a pretty consistent 60fps! That was of course in Giza so I had to run over to Alexandria to check out how it looked there and here's where I noticed something really strange.

[​IMG]

I'm running the global Optimal setting in NVCPL and notice how the GPU usage is at 97% but the clocks just hit rock bottom. This gave me a very uneven FPS in Alexandria (always around 53-58 and very stuttery). So I exited the game and turned on "Prefer Max Performance". Now I suddenly got a smooth 60fps with max clocks (2038MHz in my case). I tested a bit more to see how the FPS was and I was pleasantly surprised that it's at 60fps almost all the time. But the trade-off is worse visuals that are not as crisp as when AA is disabled.

Now onto further testing with the AA settings.

9. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    AA low might possibly affect the display resolution by using sub-sampling though far as I can tell low might be FXAA and then it's using a form of temporal AA for medium and high settings but I'm not 100% certain how it works.

EDIT: Would be a bit weird if it did though but it would explain why the adaptive mode works by regulating only anti-aliasing even if the PC version has a separate display resolution slider for sub and super sampling effect. :)
    (FPS goes below adaptive target? AA goes to low and sub-sampling ensures framerate peaks again.)

10. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    I have seen the same thing here

game runs faster with AA at low. Very strange indeed

11. darrensimmons

darrensimmons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX4090AMPEXT
    Low looks way better than off to me so very strange?

12. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    Possibly Low anti-aliasing just uses Temporal filtering AKA Checkerboarding, just like in Watch Dogs 2 and R6 Siege.
    The thing is, they could have explained that.

13. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Well i am on 1080p and would be happy with 60fps on medium, hopefully i can get that! i think this one will have to be over xmas holidays!

14. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    Ubisofts AA=upscaling. They did it WD2, wouldnt be surprised if it applies here too. 720p masterrace

ramthegamer likes this.
  15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It does sound like AA Low is using something like Temporal Filtering.

I've personally only saw it in Rainbow Six Siege, but I think I renders at half resolution and then applies 2xMSAA.

It's a good option and great to have the choice, but if it is using that then it would be better if they labelled it better.

16. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Wonder what AA Medium and High do in that case?
    AA Medium = Render at a quarter of the resolution + 2xMSAA
    AA High = Render at the same resolution and adds some AA?

17. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    Not entirelly like that.
    Temporal filtering or Checkerboarding, what it does it is to render half of the pixels in one frame and render the other half in the next one, and then apply a reconstruction using TAA and motion blur, and voilá..

No, that's temporal filtering, AA options in WD is really AA.

18. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    yeah..you got it wrong, it's how ObscureangelPT correctly said above ^.
    IMO TAA in WD2 is not good 'cause it blurs too much when in motion. Don't know about ACO, don't have it.

19. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    same thing?? no way, up until 1440p u would need a great amount of AA to eliminate jaggies, but at 1440p u would need minimal implementation, and ur good..

20. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    More pixels help but at 2560x1440 aliasing is still very prominent especially specular aliasing and aliasing relating to shaders showing things like shimmering. :)

It's tougher to combat though, SMAA while cheap only has a limited effect and MSAA isn't widely supported in newer titles plus for DX10 and above it's also fairly expensive but less effective, temporal AA has promise though the side effect tends to be a noticeable blurriness though being able to finally resolve aliasing as a result of motion is nice though ghosting can occur at low framerates.

Downsampling is out entirely, 2560x1440 is already pretty tough on this GPU especially with newer games consuming more RAM and VRAM and for AMD with VSR limited to 3840x2160 for these cards that's only a 50% increase whereas you'd want 100% (or more.) for good effect, 5120x2880 would be unplayable even in older games however.

This game does have a pretty good temporal AA solution for the high settings but it is also introducing noticeable blur though with all the vegetation and other shaders and such it's still quite effective without murdering what's left of the framerate. :)
    (EDIT: Dithering is also noticeable on a few elements for whatever reason, Senu's feathers for one example.)