Intel Halts Sales Broadwell-E- Intel Core i7 6800K, 6850K, 6900K & 6950X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Seikon

Seikon Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8g
    Yeah prety much that , i wonder if they still make the kabylake stuff , and if there are idio... i mean people who buy them , since coffelake is a thing(on pappers)

Silva likes this.
  3. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    I can't believe intels latest cpu is out....the only cpu worth upgrading to right now imo for anyone with an i7 870/2500k/3770k/4770k/4790k/6700k/7700k and there is no supply and and no 8 core version.

Stopping selling what already wasn't selling...I want to know when people can finally buy what's in demand.

Skylake x and the low supply for coffeelakr have got to be the worst organisef year in intels existence.

You've got a 6 core killer that costs the exact same as what I paid for my $6700k....and they woulf be flying off shelves if there was stock....and no one can get them :S

4. 16nm

16nm Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 760 4GB
    I think this is big hit for those who got Intel i7 6000 series cpu's,AMD Ryzen made them to wake up and start doing something with it! that's why i never grab the latest stuff out,i will wait for new PCI-Express 5.0 and new DDR5 RAM.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I wasn't aware these CPUs were still in production... It wouldn't surprise me if they're still selling better than their X299 counterparts, simply because they're overall better values.

Damn I wasn't aware DDR5 was so close to a release date (I just looked it up: planned for 2018). DDR4 sure didn't last long - it'll have been replaced in 4 years. Compare that to DDR3, which lasted 11 years. Seems a little premature to be planning DDR5 considering DDR4 still has issues. But yeah, I think waiting ought to be a good idea, especially for PCIe 5.0 (I personally find 4.0 to be a waste of time, unless you want 10Gbps Ethernet).

Silva likes this.
  6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    What issues are you talking about?

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I guess for the most part it isn't that bad anymore, though I don't recall previous versions of DDR having so many problems when they were new. It took 3 years until we managed to see DDR4 modules without abysmal latencies at decent frequencies.

Today there are still some stability problems. For the most part they have been fixed, but DDR4 seems so oddly sensitive. I've experimented overclocking every generation of DDR and in each previous generation, but only DDR4 has been sensitive enough to the point that even when trying to slow down the command rate or increase latencies, I get stability issues. If it weren't for XMP, I'd have a frustrating time getting my RAM to run properly. A 200MHz overclock from stock speeds can result in constant failures, whereas in DDR2 or DDR3 I could do at least a 300MHz overclock on budget RAM without a heatsink and it worked just fine.

8. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    The memory was not the issue, bios was. Ryzen forvthe most...

Only noobs have problems :p

9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Eh those issues sound more like early platform issues OR a specific bad kit.

I had a first production run crucial balistix 2400 ram that had 'bad' timings. IIIRC like 16-16-16-36.
    That kit ran 2667 @ C12-12-12-28 with no issues.

My current samsung kit is 3200C14 and it will do 3600 and same timings, 3200@C12 etc.

Most older gen CPUs can't do that as their IMC is not strong enough.
    Not to mention that some boards have bad Auto secondary and tertiary timings and also related voltages that affect stability.

DDR4 doesn't really have issues, just takes more work to fine tune.

Sixtyfps likes this.
  10. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    For me the only issue is price. i didn't knew DDR5 was peaking the corner, but it might take some time to see it in actual products. Plus, the early adopter price must be prohibitive so wouldn't hold my breath for them. PCIe 5.0, on the other hand, is always welcome.

11. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Will see PCI-E 4.0 next year, starting with newer chipsets but PCI-E 5.0? not anytime soon, even though specification was recently approved, best guess for PCI-E 5.0 2022 ish.

-Tj- likes this.
  12. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    so which chipset will become the first to support DDR5
    afaik coffee lake still on DDR4 right? cmiiw
    and i think the situation is same to AMD part

i read somewhere the spec is planned to be release on 2018 and the actual product release is 2020
    so i think it still long way to switch from ddr4

13. Sixtyfps

Sixtyfps Master Guru

GPU:
    Tuff 4080 non OC
    I think this is a good move on there part. Who is going to buy a over priced CPU ? Intel really is at sixes and sevens right now. The New 8700k is a really good sweat spot but only if it can stay cool

14. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    I would be really surprised if we see ddr5 capable stuff anytime soon since, The cost of ddr5 will be prohibitive, especially when those new fabs in china start pumping out dram

15. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @16nm
    Ahh, the good ol, i will wait stuff.

Please enlighten me why a normal gaming desktop would need pcx5,
    when even pcx3 still doesn't have bandwidth problems.
    Name 2-3, not just one..

Otherwise, please make a button for the fridge saying "I'll wait for the next one." and look at it every day :rolleyes:

airbud7 likes this.

16. 16nm

16nm Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 760 4GB
    @fry178

If believe rumors PCIe4.0 will not be release, they will skip to PCIe5.0, bigger bandwidth is needed if in future you want better responding GPU's and other hardware.

You know marketing in 2017 is playing with people a lot,i think 2018 will be best new technology year.

But everybody has own thoughts about what to do and what to buy,now or later,i think now is bad to buy something new.

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    dont remind me for what I payed for 6700k a year after it launched I could of got 8700k, if i waited another 2 years. not that i complaining., none of what said in the article is surprising though. Intel got cold hard slap in the face after all these years from AMD

GPU arnt gona get more responsive by PCIE5.0 less by the time it is released they magically start saturating the current bandwidth 3.0 has. which they dont come close too atm. we have 3.0 and 3.1 usb that most device dont even use all of the bandwidth they provide.

18. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @16nm
    ...bigger bandwidth is needed if in future you want better responding GPU's and other hardware...

and again: NOPE.
    just because the cards will have more "horsepower" does NOT mean we need more bandwidth.

check which was the first Nv consumer card that had a 256bit bus
    when was that?
    we still have 256bit how many generations and years later?

EVERYTHING improves, eg. Nv improved a lot including getting a better compression algorithm, which in turn needs less bandwidth.

in 1979 it took 7L-V8 to get about 220HP, i can now get a vw golf do 300HP out of a 2.0L 4cyl while it weighs about 1/3 less..