@ManuelG, Kaldaien found something interesting...

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Martigen, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    cryohellinc and Herochild like this.
  2. Guzz

Guzz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    This button is part of combination of buttons which are polled every frame.
    It's used for debugging, to toggle on/off async device.
    You can disable async device, then Shift button won't be polled every frame, but depending of game it may cause performance degradation.

[​IMG]

cryohellinc likes this.
  3. yobooh

yobooh Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1
    Why users should need this debugging poll??
    The poll request should have another key to be enabled in NvInspector, and should be disabled by default.

4. Guzz

Guzz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Maybe you a right and Nvidia should more carefully remove debug features in consumer drivers.
    But I don't think, that polling Shift key even every frame can really have any performance impact.

5. yobooh

yobooh Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1
    Surely it's not a big thing, but a debug feature here one there and you lose precious performance. Anyway I'm a maniac of optimizations and for Nvidia should be nothing to disable by default such things.

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    In NVIDIA Control Panel in menu "Help" there is menu item "Debug mode". May be if it is checked some debug features start to work?

7. ManuelG

ManuelG NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080 FE
  8. ManuelG

ManuelG NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080 FE
    We have not been able to reproduce this. Has anyone else observed the same behavior? Can you share what OS you are seeing this in? Any specific steps to reproduce this?

9. Guzz

Guzz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Windows 10 Anniversary Update (v1607/RS1 build 14393.447); GeForce 388.13 WHQL
    • Install API Monitor - http://www.rohitab.com/downloads
    • Run any DX10+ application,
      for example, MLAA Demo - http://www.iryoku.com/mlaa/downloads/Jimenez-MLAA-DX10-v1.5.exe
    • Run API Monitor 32-bit with Administrator rights
    • Select API filter: Windows Application UI Development - User Interaction - Keyboard and Mouse Input - Keyboard Input
    • Select "Jimenez-MLAA-DX10-v1.5.exe" process and start monitoring it
    • See that user mode driver - nvwgf2um.dll call GetAsyncKeyState ( VK_SHIFT ) every time
      [​IMG]
    • Adding this setting to "Base Profile"
      Code:
      Setting ID_0x0005f511 = 0x53850673 UserSpecified=true
      disables "SHIFT" button polling, but it also disables Async Device, that may negatively affect to performance.
      [​IMG]

cryohellinc and ManuelG like this.
  10. ManuelG

ManuelG NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080 FE
    Thank you very much

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Could this be the cause of the microstuttering issue I was experiencing with this driver in games such as Wolfenstein II and to a lesser extent Assassin's Creed: Origins? I had to reinstall the v388.00 WHQL to get around that issue. Both those games and others run noticeably smoother on v388.00 versus v388.13.

Note that I am not referring to the stuttering issue that occurs every second on v388.13 if you use MSI Afterburner v4.4.0/RTSS v7.0.0 as that particular issue can be worked around by simply unchecking the Power monitoring option. The microstuttering is another issue entirely that wasn't immediately obvious when I tried the v388.13 due to the one-second polling bug.

Once I fixed that I then noticed the microstuttering in a number of games that I was playing, though it doesn't affect all of them (Hollow Knight, a 2D game, runs OK for example). So far v388.00 seems to fine for Wolftenstein II and AC: Origins but I am concerned that I may be stuck on an older driver unless this issue is fixed. Worse, I am worried that Windows Update will force one this driver on me at some point.

P.S. I use a single GTX 1080 Ti and have a single 27" ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q G-SYNC monitor with a 165 Hz refresh rate. I play all games with the G-SYNC and V-Sync enabled in the NVIDIA Global Profile and in-game v-sync disabled where possible, I am using Windows 10 Pro v1709 build 16299.19.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  12. Guzz

Guzz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Couldn't be, because it's pretty old behavior.
    I can't test much oldest drivers, but 344.11 from 2014 also make "SHIFT" button poll.
    [​IMG]

13. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    @Guzz how do you get these options to show up in Nvidia Profile Inspector? I'm missing the whole "8 - Extra" section it seems. I'm on NVPI 2.1.3.10.

14. billypit

billypit Guest

GPU:
    MSI
    Press "Show unknown settings from NVIDIA predefined profiles"

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    Cave Waverider likes this.
  15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Dear Manuel, you don`t need to reproduce it (and especially with overcomplicated way described here). All you need to do is ask programmer(s) to search in source files for mentioned module "nwgf2umx.dll" for a name of API function "GetAsyncKeyState" with specified argument "VK_SHIFT". And after programmer(s) found all places in source files where this API function is called with this argument they just need to think why it is called there.