Which driver works in HDR for all games ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by X7007, Nov 5, 2017.

1. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    Can I still play with 378.xx drivers for HDR ? cause none of the 388.xx drivers works in HDR . it messes up all the brightness when going into fullscreen, and I'm not sure it's even works properly with borderless cause I don't know how it suppose to looks like

2. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    1. Set "Use default color settings" in NV CP.
    2. Turn HDR on in Windows Display settings.
    3. Launch a game which it should work in and check if it's working.

Alternatively you could try setting color to NV controlled - RGB/10 bits/limited for <4K display, YCbCr422/10 bits/limited for 4K - and check again. You could also try full with RGB on <4K monitor.

Games which require Windows HDR API won't output HDR on drivers prior to WDDM 2.2 so there are no driver on which every HDR game works right now.

3. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    Yes all this I tried.

Using
    Windows HDR Enabled
    Game HDR Enabled
    Full Screen

Doesn't work

It maybe works if I change my TV from PC Input to Game Console Input , then the same settings seem to works . but it still doesn't say HDR on the TV Info bar.

Default Color doesn't change anything , and I'm using default all the time because it automatically switches.

The only thing that matter is PC and Game Console switch, this might seems to do something

Taken advice from here
    https://forums.geforce.com/default/...1000-series/hdr-problem/9/?offset=126#5239222

4. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Just to confirm. On windows 10 you can’t enable HDR on games that don’t support HDR in game settings, correct?
    I’m playing fallout 4 currently. I can’t enable HDR in Windows 10 mentioned above for this game right?

5. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Game must be able to output in HDR10 format. Whether it has a setting for this or this is toggled automatically on detection of OS support is irrelevant really. But most games do have such setting right now.

Fallout 4 doesn't support HDR anywhere, not even on consoles.

6. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    No game works with HDR if you have a HDR monitor The HDR function go's on in windows and the monitor but the colours are more bad than SDR. HWindows HDR is Beta

7. DxVinxGado

DxVinxGado Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090 Ti
    Not true, as long as long as you follow the steps dr_rus listed above, HDR will work. The only area where the colors will be muted is in the desktop unfortunately but games that support it will look great in HDR. Destiny 2, Shadow Warrior 2, Battlefield 1 just to name a few.

8. Keesberenburg

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    No its now broken for monitors but not for TV's. I have A HDR monitor and a lot other people with a HDR monitor getting bad colors if HDR is on with HDR games. The HDR monitors need other color settings i think. Game must be able to output in HDR10 format. This format is not working for HDR monitors on windows.

Default i getting 10 bit RGB Full with dp 1.4

9. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    This likely mean that your monitor is just not up to HDR10 spec. What's the model?

10. Keesberenburg

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017

11. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    350cd/m2 (Typ.) - this isn't enough for HDR on an LCD panel, even on a VA one. UHD Premium / HDR10 specs require at least 1000cd/m2 for HDR on LCD panels and at least 20000:1 contrast ratio while this display has only 3000:1(Typ).

This does lead to an interesting point though that MS should probably provide system level HDR calibration for displays which aren't actually up to HDR specs while being able to receive HDR signal. Hopefully this will be automatic in the future.

12. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    HDR doesn't work with Full Screen .... maybe only in borderless . but I'm 100% it doesn't in Full Screen cause the colours are messed up like MadVR with MPC-HC or Potplayer FSE.

13. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Do any of these support HDR10 output?

14. Keesberenburg

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    do you know why HDR working better for me on the Playstation, i getting better colors with HDR on the Playstation, also better then SDR colors. With the PC SDR colors are better then HDR colors, only the sun and clouds have much more detail and brightness with HDR.on the PC with HDR games.

15. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    Of course, even Youtube + Chrome 62 support HDR and it's working, but you need CPU with 6 Cores or more to be able to run it properly ... my I3770K at 4K or 8K 60Fps + HDR is dying 100% Usage.. without hdr it's barely 30% ...
    you need to enable in Chrome about://flags HDR support and if you go to youtube and search 8K60 HDR you will find some videos that are HDR , Not all of them !

I have some HDR movies and all are working properly with Potplayer, but not full screen just Windowed mode like borderless , and the game must work this way also, but the performance suffer and movies 24 fps is not game 60 fps so this is the big issue. I also play in 3D with reshade and Super Depth 3D which lower the performance even more and also the WDM in Windows 10 that get rendered behind all the times lower the performance even more, if I had SLI I might didn't care ,but I don't have the top yet.

Anyway , I didn't have bugs with NVidia like I have now, nothing is working properly, nore 3D and not HDR like it suppose to.. Someone need to fix this crap ASAP . also I will never forget the non stop crashing with Gear Of War 3 , with 378 or 375 it worked fine and all other it just crashed ... I mean wtf , it's NVidia fault and they didn't fix it even till now !

16. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I don't know but generally if your see muted colors in HDR mode then this means that the brightness the screen is working on isn't enough since our color perception is directly linked with how bright a color is. It's possible that PS4 uses a different default white brightness in HDR than Windows 10? I don't know really.

What do you mean "even"? Chrome/YouTube has no relation to the players you've listed. For a videoplayer to output HDR correctly in a fullscreen exclusive mode this player must be able to setup a proper render mode with a proper surface and output HDR metadata alongside the videos stream through some HDR API (Windows in case of 1703+, NV's/AMD's in case of Win7<->1607). I'm not sure if it need to perform any tone mapping but this seems unlikely considering that video is prerendered. If a player can't do that you won't get any HDR in exclusive fullscreen mode since this mode is controlled by the app which requests it, not by Windows. It may work in a windowed environment as 1703+ DWM will take care of rendering HDR image properly in this case.

17. Keesberenburg

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    I dont think its the brightness cause the sun is more bright then with SDR. HDR works even better on TV's wit lesser brightness and the peak nit of this monitor go to 625 nit, whats already to bright for normal gaming on a monitor.

18. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Doesn't mean that there's no lack of brightness for darker parts of the image.

HDR is about range, it may work better on lesser than 1000nits brightness if the black levels are very very low (basically impossible to achieve on LCD). The problem with this is that the HDR output is calibrated for some expected range and if the display can't handle it then you will see subpar results.

19. Keesberenburg

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    But my only problem is that the game colors not even close to SDR Vivid and in other HDR games i gitting this right now.

[​IMG]

20. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Which is what you likely to get on a HDR display which isn't able to pull of HDR range in reality. This can probably be fixed by app side calibration of white point and peak brightness but most if not all HDR games don't have those.

SW2 uses NV's HDR API which doesn't work in 1703+. You need to setup the output mode manually and use windowed mode probably for HDR to work properly here.