Nvidia driver not working anymore after update

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by leo ivano, Nov 2, 2017.

1. leo ivano

leo ivano Guest

GPU:
    GTX 765m
    Hi guys!! im new here...

I have GTX GeForce 765m in my MSI GE60 2OE notebook, currently windows 8.1. So 2 weeks ago, i updated my current Nvidia driver, and it's no longer able to start a games, for example "heartstone" when i launch it, the game windows shows me just a blank screen, after that it crashed like it is not responding. But when i launch it with my Integrated graphic, it is working, but ofcourse it is used the intel graphic, not the Nvidia. Another example, that Ghost Recon: Wildlands, i able to run it with integrated, but not with Nvidia, it is keep crashing and not responding.

Things i already tried is, update it to the last version, roll back it, many times of uninstalling and then trying another drivers one by one, cleaning it up using DDU, install for it again, different version, but nothing works, i forgot wich Nvidia driver version before i installed the new version of it (updating), currently there is no Nvidia driver installed on my device, it is just my integrated graphic because im so tired wich version i have to install. Please help me guys im stucked here, you guys are driver experts can you give me the best driver version wich is working on my device? thanks you so much.

Note: the first driver that i updated is the driver version that MSI gave on their website.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    That`s why I will never buy notebook and especially notebook with both iGPU and dGPU.
    Hope you will sort it out.

Usually OEM of notebooks do customizations in drivers for videocards, and sometimes generic drivers from videocard manufacturer do notwork at all.
    Be sure you install namely notebook drivers from NVidia. Also do read release info for a list of incompatible notebooks.

3. leo ivano

leo ivano Guest

GPU:
    GTX 765m
    There is such a lot driver version that i have to try 1 by 1, its about more than 18+ driver version i've already try. Nothing works, someone just told me, just reinstall your windows and reset your device. Is that really a solution for this?

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Which driver you decided to update from two weeks ago? And which driver you took back then to update to?

Usually notebooks offer a recovery option which rolls back (OS, drivers, software) to a state of pre-purchase. Unfortunately it erases all user data in process.

5. leo ivano

leo ivano Guest

GPU:
    GTX 765m
    The first driver version that i updated at first is 327.62 it is come from MSI website and seems the problem occured, and then i decided to upgrade it again, wich is the latest version of it, i tought it was 388.00 before the 388.13 came out. And then tomorrow the version of 388.13 is came out, wich i install it via GeForce Experience (this is the first time that i installed GE, because i didnt install it before, many forum says it isnt necessary or just causing a problem). There is 1 game that work running with this GPU, wich is "SMITE", but "DOTA2" aren't. This is so strange.

And how to do that recovery?
    And i ever think to upgrading BIOS (even i dont know what is this) it is necessary when this such problem occurs?
    And does resetting device (factory reset/resetting windows) bring the all drivers back to the default version?

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Recovery usually accessible in BIOS.
    You don`t need to touch BIOS.
    As for resetting I am not sure it will bring back old version of drivers.

7. leo ivano

leo ivano Guest

GPU:
    GTX 765m
    So how to do that reset without touching the BIOS?

Or i have to uninstall my drivers first? then do the reset, so it will automatically installing default drivers.
    This is such a treat for me :(
    if my driver is fail, i still able run FurMark and just 1 game called "smite". When a driver is fail, the screen goes blank or glitches or something appears on my sceen doesn't it?

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    There are "refresh" and "reset" for Win8
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17085/windows-8-restore-refresh-reset-pc

Ignore restore points - they are not good when you updated drivers.

Recovery feature for notebooks works this way:
    There is special hidden partition on HDD with image of Windows.
    If user decides to revert to original state of Windows (as it was at purchase time) he either finds special shortcut somewhere in menus or in control panel or somewhere in BIOS setup (pressing Del or F2 or F10 right after turning power on).
    After this recovery feature is activated notebook boots from that special hidden partition and special program offers you assistance in reverting to original state of Windows. That process consists of removing all data on partition with installed Windows and copying there data from special hidden one.

If all this is too complicated why don`t you go to a service place? If your notebook is new it can be on warranty. If not you will just pay for troubleshooting.

9. leo ivano

leo ivano Guest

GPU:
    GTX 765m
    Yea mate, maybe i will reinstall the windows, and hopes that will fix all the problems, thanks mate. I will go back here when it isnt working.

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Be sure to use drivers for both iGPU and dGPU namely from notebook manufacturer site first.

11. leo ivano

leo ivano Guest

GPU:
    GTX 765m
    did you mean, before i reinstall my device, install both gpu drivers that given by my notebook manufacturer on their website first?

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    When you install Windows it has two options of re-installation: repair mode and usual mode.
    Repair mode is used to just repair corrupted system files. You don`t need it.
    In usual mode you can decide two things as well: to remove all existing volumes (partitions) and let Windows installer to create them afresh; or to not delete-and-re-create volumes. But both decisions lead to complete loss of system files. So after installation in this usual mode you will have generic drivers (installed by installer) from Windows generic set. If there is no generic driver for a device it will not work and will be marked with exclamation icon in Device manager tree of devices. At this point you install drivers offered by notebook vendor.

leo ivano likes this.
  13. leo ivano

leo ivano Guest

GPU:
    GTX 765m
    All good mate, thanks for helping me, the fact i dont even need resetting my devices, i just rolled back my Intel Graphic driver, and its working... oh, thank you so so so much... you remind me to do that, i think without you saying that, i wouldn't looking back for the integrated one, yea the iGpu bro. All is good now, once again thanks. God bless, you such a live saver :)

14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Cheers!
    Yeah, I forgot actually that for notebooks with both iGPU and dGPU drivers for iGPU are important too and they are customized too (frequently). So I did not ask about them. NVIDIA recommended to not use driver rollback for their drivers, but good thing it did work for Intel ones.