Air or AIO for Core i7 6900K ?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Gripen90, Nov 2, 2017.

?

Air or AIO cooling

Poll closed Nov 30, 2017.
  1. Air cooling

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. AIO cooling

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. Current cooling suffice

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. Gripen90

Gripen90 Guest

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    About a week ago I swapped my Core i7 5820K for a Core i7 6900K, and it's no secret it's a hot CPU. Currently running with at 25% overclock 3.2@4.0GHz at 1.252v, with a Phanteks PH-TC12DX air cooler. Under stress testing for several hours in OCCT it hits these temperatures, but I would like them a bit lower.:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

I am therefore looking for a new cooling solution, but I can't decide whether to go air cooling or AIO watercooling. I have pro's and con's for both.

With Air cooling the pro's are: no risk of leakage, no pump noise, easy to maintain.
    The con's are: on X99 platforms the 140mm large fan coolers can block memory dimms and first pcie slot, and making it extremely difficult to uninstall top graphics card.

For air coolers I have looked at Phanteks PH-TC14PE and Noctua NH-D15S, since as for height they fit in my Corsair Vengeance C70 case, and they won't block my first PCIE slot (which is critical is when I run SLI). I had looked at the Cryorig R1 Ultimate also but I think I might be to tall for my case to accomdate.

With AIO cooling the pro's are: easy access to memory, graphics cards, good cooling, optics (looks nice).
    The con's are: risk of leakage, pump noise.

For AIOs I looked at Arctic Liquid Freezer 120mm, Arctic Liquid Freezer 240mm, Cryorig A40 Hybrid Liquid Cooler 240mm and Enermax Liqmax II 240mm.

While I think the AIO provides easier acces to everything on the motherboard, my one big overall shadowing fear is leakage :eek: ! and it's almost enough to me drop the idea, when it concerns my main PC system.

What would you choose ? :cool:

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Do you really need 1.25v for only 4ghz?

Anyways most AIOs are about equal to high end air.

Maybe you should look at a swiftech 240mm or EK AIO.
    Don't bother with 120mm.

IMO real H20 can't be beaten but maybe you don't want to go that route.

3. Gripen90

Gripen90 Guest

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    The motherboard/cpu sets itself to 1.252v no matter value i set it to when using adaptive voltage. I set it to 1.180volt, but it goes to 1.252v regardless and I am using the latest BIOS. I can set it to manual, but I prefer the voltage to be lower when the cpu idles. I did try setting and offset with adaptive mode, but that also affects idle voltage making it drop too much (below 0.692v) and causes a lock up.

An all in custom h2o solution I won't be using, since I prefer easy access to all my components for a quick swap :)

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    What board do you have?

Sounds like you aren't setting adaptive up properly.

BTW don't use hwmonitor; it sucks compared to hwinfo64

5. Gripen90

Gripen90 Guest

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    I use a MSI X99S KRAIT Edition motherboard. It worked perfectly with the adaptive settings I used for my 5820K Haswell-E, and I have read other users swapping Haswell-E for Broadwell-E that the adaptive settings don't respond properly.

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Can you post a pic of your settings for adaptive?

Adaptive works good here on my BW-E.

Adaptive cache/uncore is known to not work though.

7. Gripen90

Gripen90 Guest

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
  8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    So basically MSI has a very poor implementation of adapative mode.

Half-assed attempt.

ASUS board here lets you set the turbo voltage; idle is unaffected

Disable SVID communications and try again.

9. Gripen90

Gripen90 Guest

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
  10. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20

11. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

PH-TC12DX is not bad CPU cooler but still with Noctua NH-D15S or Cryorig R1 Ultimate or Universal you should be able have better temperatures how much, I would say on PKG yours temperatures should drops by 5-8°C

AIO is not worth it there, these AIO using cheap aluminium radiators with very loud fans, if AIO then as above Swiftech or EK are worth to try

And difference between the full custom loop and good air cooler like is NH-D15 is not so big there, in my case difference is around 5-7°C on PKG

But still think you are running lots of vCore for 4.0GHz, I'm running 5960x with 4.5Ghz and I need 1.21v for such frequency 4.5Ghz, 4.6Ghz needs 1.24v

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

12. Gripen90

Gripen90 Guest

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    Yes it's from 2016, but again I've seen several 6900k owners experiencing it, which is why I finally gave up on it and just accepted the voltage.. I may crank it up to 4.2GHz to see if the voltage remains the same and if it's stable.

13. Gripen90

Gripen90 Guest

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    Thank you for the answer :)

I also look at the Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT which looks have good cooling capabilities and low noise.

As for AIO's I know the Arctic Liquid Freezer 120mm is dead silent both pump and fans. My wife uses it for her Intel Core i7 5960X@4.1GHz, MSI X99S Gaming 7.

As for the voltage, as described earlier I can't get adaptive voltage to work properly with 6900K. The values gets ignored by either cpu or motherboard. I can only set a fixed voltage that just uses more power or set a negative offset that causes idle instability. No such issues with my former 5820K or my wife's 5960X (1.151v).

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  14. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I run several air coolers,I run like Thermalright HR02 Macho which has been awesome cooler which has cooled my X5670 at 4.4GHz easily there,then I run few others coolers from Thermalright and Noctua and Cryorig

Thermalright Le Grande Macho is good cooler,I would add there one extra fan like is there Thermalright TY-147A,these fans I run on my NH-D15

Best air coolers on market are within 1-5C between them,looks like NH-D15 is uncrowned king for air coolers,if you don't like fans there,then Thermalright TY-147A fans are best fans or TY-143,they don't cost too much and really sound signature is pretty awesome there

AIO have and won't touch there,two AIO failed on me...

For voltage on yours 6900k not sure,I know these Broadwell-E needs more vCore than HW-E,what I remember and what friend have 6900k,he is running 1.325v at 4.5GHz and another friend is running 6900k and he needs close to 1.4v for 4.4GHz,really there hard to recommend there,I don't use adaptive voltage,not sure is there newer BIOS which will allows you that

Noctua have released Chromax as well for NH-D15

http://noctua.at/en/na-hc4-chromax-black

[​IMG]

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

15. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I personally always go for air cooling because the laws of physics don't break. Water pumps could. At the very worst, you run a bit hot if your fans die.

Edit: As Jura said, getting a double 140mm tower probably will net you a few degrees but it won't be a gigantic difference. Your cooler definitely isn't bad.

16. Gripen90

Gripen90 Guest

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    Thank you very much for your replies ;).
    That Cromax looks gorgeous - I'll have a look at that too.

Yea my PH-TC12DX isn't that bad, and I have been thinking if swapping fans to some with a bit better CFM output could help temperature reduction too ? :cool:

17. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Oh, look, a butthurt troll :rolleyes:

18. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Dude did you really had to go there :( with all that sexually explicit language ??? , so you just made a new account using the same name as Agent-A01 ( Agent-02 ) to try and make fun of him and troll the forum hard using foul language , have some respect for yourself and the other members.. GTFO ... Please ban this troll @Hilbert Hagedoorn @Don Vito Corleone or any mod.

19. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Aufwiedersnitzel

chispy likes this.
  20. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I bet it was @Emille
    Compare IPs