Rumor: Next gen AMD Epyc processors will get 64 CPU cores

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    nz3777 likes this.
  2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I wonder how many years until 128 cores.

3. vdelvec

vdelvec Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    2 years.

4. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Lisa is that you?

5. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I think everyone expects that Ryzen will go to 8 cores per CCX within the next 2 years, so this isn't exactly surprising.

6. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    This I would like to see :D 16 core common desktop CPUs with dual channel on AM4...

7. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    generaly with AMD the pro segment have huge delay compared with mainstream segment...

right now it is really hard to put hand on Ryzen other than 4 core :( i can't imagine Epyc...
    (and i would like to see it compared to new Xeon BEFORE having the budget voted to change my pro rig)

8. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    More cores are the immediate future for a while until a new technology is adopted. They are near the end on the shrinking.

9. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Hehe my first computer had a pentium 2 266mhz CPU. Time flies man, technology just accelerates every year its amazing.

10. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    I wish thickness of my wallet would accelerate with same speed.

11. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    That was my growing concern for the last 10 years. Both Intel and Nvidia product prices spiked really hard.

cryohellinc likes this.
  12. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Outside of the server/high-end workstation segment, there really isn't a market for that, though. Software will need years and years to catch up to that, if even then. Desktop workloads are often inherently problematic to massively multi-thread. Even the 8 Ryzen cores are pushing it for Gaming and other Desktop/Consumer use.

13. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    Will that be enough for Assassins Creed?

dean469 and Silva like this.
  14. SSD_PRO

SSD_PRO Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    These are enterprise products where more cores mean a lot. Minor tasks but many of them. No one here should give a rip about 64 cores @ 1.6GHz. Core counts are increased to offset the lack of node shrink that allows increase frequency. We need turbos of 8 cores over 5GHz then increase core count maintaining 5. This is azz backwards right now and that is why AMD shares are tanking. Still eight months later AMD stock is down from 14.90 at RyZen launch to 10.80 today at a lower volume.

15. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    Did you checked whats frequency on current intel best server CPUs ? They are pretty much down close to 2GHz .
    And in server area more weaker cores may be actually more usefull than few highe clocked cores.
    In past few generations intel best moved from 22 to just 28 cores, If AMD can bring 64 cores with its next gent hen Intel might get into panic mode and actually start inovating again.

Silva likes this.

16. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Nice. Hopefully we'll see a 32-core Threadripper as well. My 1950X is by far the most impressive computing CPU I have ever had the pleasure of using, and I would love to take it to the next level :).

Last year, I only looked to Intel for high-end desktop PCs. Now I only look to AMD, as Ryzen is everything that I hoped it would be. It's little wonder why they're profitable again.

17. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Good lord of Cores wow!

18. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I know Intel has that new Xeon Phi, but that architecture is a little too limited and niche to be a direct competitor to something like this.

Unless Intel managed to copy AMD with the multi-die configuration (in which case they were a little too quick to laugh at the whole "glued together" thing), I don't see how Intel could ever compete with this within a year of its release. There is no way they could ever make a single-die 64-core CPU without making any sacrifices and have even a semblance of a decent value. Their 18-core consumer parts are already absurdly expensive.

Intel may for now be the overall better choice for mainstream desktop PCs, but they are in serious trouble when it comes to servers. With Ryzens's better performance-per-watt and AMD's more powerful GPUs, Intel will also need to figure something out regarding laptops, too. But, I believe Intel can out-do AMD in laptops in a timely manner (whether or not they will is a different story).

19. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

They are down because server contracts are not coming up as expected.
    And because they guided revenue decrease of 15 percent sequentially.

20. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    I don't like nor care about cores race. All these strange things are gonna help greedy companies like Ubisoft to give us 6-way DRM solutions just for their money. I hate this kind of trash programmers destroying our systems. They should use their degree as toilet paper at best.